Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Did anyone ever actually come across any of the Hodgdon Xperimental Packs of four different powders in 4-ounce bottles that were advertised a few years ago? Are they still out there somewhere? Just curious as I never came across any. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ya I saw them in a gun store here in Montana.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
5sdad-- I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but I think Hodgdon quit making the Xperimental Packs a few years ago. Like the preivious poster mentioned, you may be able to find one, but they are rare around North DaColder.

I purchased one of the Varmint Xperimental Packs that had three of the Hodgdon Extreme powders along with one non-extreme type powder. It was a valuable tool in my reloading tests for the .204 Ruger back in early 2004.

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Never heard of such a thing, but I'd be all over them if they came back around.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I saw one a few years ago (the rifle powder pack) and I bought it (it is on a shelf in my shed, never used any as of yet.)

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Perhaps I'm not paying close enough attention, but I haven't seen any advertisements in my many gun rags for a very loooong time.

I thought it a good idea at the time as well, but never got around to buyin'/needin' the pack enough to seek them out.

I expect they're an extinct feces now................

Last edited by magnumb; 01/24/08.
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just curious if anyone had ever come across any of the packs or if they were like Ruger's XGI - advertised but never produced. I now know that there were some out there even though I never saw any. Would be interested to know the specifics of their demise. I suppose it could be chalked up to lack of sales, but it seems hard to generate sales when the product isn't made easily available. Seems to be quite common in the powder business. Thanks to everyone for their input. Best, John

Last edited by 5sdad; 01/24/08. Reason: elimination of the word "fot"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alright, you got my curiosity up - just went and dug my "Xperimentalpack" out of the box it was in. It has a whitetail deer decorating the package. It is subtitled "Hunter Rifle" and contains 4 different 1/4 lb plastic cans of Varget, H4895, H414, & H4350. The lot numbers on the cans are all from different days in January 2004. I don't remember when or where I bought this package. Odessa
PS I would be interested to know how many different X-packs they put out.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Making something and having dealers buy it for their shelves are two quite distinct matters. I'd place my money on Hodgdon offering them, but getting no takers from stores. Stores, in turn, may have been shackled by local laws that allow only a set number of powder canisters to be on display. If the pack has four, that means the store would have to take three kinds of powder off the shelf and out of the buyers' eyes. Poor retail practice, that.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,119 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,268
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.