Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I got a gift card from my Daughter to a local sporting goods store and I saw one of these rifles for 139.00. Anybody have a review on these rifles. I have shot some of the centerfires and they were okay, but this one looks like a steal especially with the gift card paying part of it. This one had a heavy barrel and synthetic stock.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
GB1

C
ccd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My best friend from when I was in the military has one. It is a good shooter and not too bad for the money. It really had a preference for certain bullets, the 17 gr VMax type and shot 1" groups @100 yards with a cheap scope on top. The trigger isn't the greatest, and for not much more you can get a Savage or Marlin. If money is tight as it was for him it is a good option.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
THEY ARE GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK, THEIR ACCURACY IS A BIG PLUS.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know a fellow who had one. Replaced it with a Volquartsen semi-auto .17HMR!

His was a real shooter, after it settled down once the barrel broke in (after one or two bricks of ammo).

If I wanted to shoot the .17HMR or M2, the NEF is route I would go.

If you buy this NEF .17HMR, get familiar with their Barrel Replacement Program (tabbing on 'customer support' through their website at wwww.hr1871.com). By buying a .17HMR NEF 'Sportster' you can add later additional bbls in .22LR (along with Short and Long), .22 WMR and of course the .17M2 (which is probably the best round for zapping squirrels, according to hunters of those things).

Accuracy once you find which particular rounds yours likes, is usually VERY GOOD, enough to make head-shots on squirrels!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I had one that would OUT shoot a good bud's of mine C/Z 17HMR. He was real embarrased knowing that a $150.00 Rifle could out do his $450.00 rig. I traded it to a friend for a MARLIN 22MAg. I wish I still had the little single shot rifle. It was a keeper!

IC B2

A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I got the rifle an it is sweet. It has a trigger pull of 4lbs and the first thing that I did is open the barrel channel and put a piece of rubber between the barrel and the forearm. I got it on paper at 25 yards with a borrowed scope. I then proceeded to shoot my gong off hand at 100 yards. I was running out of light and couldn't really do anymore on paper. 22lr just explode on the gong but the 20gr XTPs put tiny little craters. I was impressed. I can't wait to tell my Motherinlaw that she helped contribute to my gun collection.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by amax155
I can't wait to tell my Motherinlaw that she helped contribute to my gun collection.

You and your MIL like each other? grin

A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
We get along, but the last thing that she would ever buy for me would be gun or anything related to them.

A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Has anyone put a better scope base on their handirifle, and if so what kind? I put some burris Z rings on the cheap mount that came with it, and it was like crushing an aluminum can. It is seems pretty solid for right now but tell that any kind of bump is going to knock it off zero.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
my wifes 7mm08 has a weaver grand slam 3.5-10x 50mm with weaver rings from walmart and it shoots inside an inch at 100yds with handloads using the factory base. I have several others in 223, 243, and 308 and they all shoot very well with their factory bases and good scopes.

A DEO FORMAVIT IN BELLO PROBAVIT
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a .17HMR NEF - great little shooter. I have a Nikon 2X7 Prostaff scope on mine. I've taken 100's of Jack rabbits with it from 20 yards to 200. The .17 is very accurate to 150 yards but over that consistency falls off for me. Since I bought mine 3 years ago, my brother and a buddy from work have also bought them and love them. Not often you buy a gun (or anything these days) and feel like you got more than your money's worth.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There is a lot of info out there on improving the triggers on these. An easy fix is to send back and ask them to do it when they fit a new barrel. Another easy fix is to push on the hammer with your thumb while dry firing it a few times, fired shell in the chamber to prevent burrs, of course.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Originally Posted by amax155
Has anyone put a better scope base on their handirifle, and if so what kind? I put some burris Z rings on the cheap mount that came with it, and it was like crushing an aluminum can. It is seems pretty solid for right now but tell that any kind of bump is going to knock it off zero.

I have a NEF in .243 and the mount seems fine. Have you seen actual probs with the mount? It is aluminum and should be pretty tough.

A
amax155 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I tend to be heavy handed at times. I compared it to some weaver bases that I had and it is probably just me.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one and it was very slow on the break in. I put a BSA sweet 17 4x12 on mine. works like a charm.The elevation turrit is spot on.
My second 17 is a savage and it also wears a sweet 17 4x12. The nef shoots better but the savage is not broken in yet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have one each in 17 HMR and 22 Win Mag. both are tack drivers...black, heavy barrels, synthetic stocks...I bought each one of mine for $109.00 each...now they are like $139.00..

I mounted Tasco 3 x 9 World Class Scopes ( $50.00 each) on both, with Weaver Rings from Wal Mart.. $10.00 per set...

My only grump is that it would be nice if NE barrel program, would allow Rimfires to also take the Centerfire barrels... the only difference is the firing pin location...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Amax155: How is the new NEF shooting?
I have had a little experience with these Rifles in 17 HMR.
I have been called upon by my friends to mount scopes on and sight in two of these rigs!
Both shot VERY well indeed!
Both had intermittent missfires caused by poor hammer extension fit.
Both were corrected.
I have been toying with the idea of getting one just to leave in the VarmintMobile (hidden behind the jump seat) so's as to always have along a Varminter when I am travelling!
Let us know how yours is shooting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Amax155: How is the new NEF shooting?
I have had a little experience with these Rifles in 17 HMR.
I have been called upon by my friends to mount scopes on and sight in two of these rigs!
Both shot VERY well indeed!
Both had intermittent missfires caused by poor hammer extension fit.
Both were corrected.
I have been toying with the idea of getting one just to leave in the VarmintMobile (hidden behind the jump seat) so's as to always have along a Varminter when I am travelling!
Let us know how yours is shooting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,

I'd advise that route...have to admit, I have one in 17 HMR and one in 22 Win Mag.. both are synthetic stocks and wear $50.00 Taaco 3 x 9 scopes... but when driving down rural roads, it is easy to have a round chambered but the action open on the right seat of the truck... a target of opportunity pops it's head up, a quick hit the brakes, grab it and jump out with it, and just closing the action while pulling back the hammer....they make GREAT truck guns.. and I bought each one for $109.00...

The synthetic stocks make them indestructible and they don't get scratched bouncing around in the vehicle... and the 3 x 9 Tascos.. well for $50.00 scopes they plenty clear for a truck gun.. and if they get scratched up a little.. oh well.. fecees happens..

and as for accuracy.. both are as accurate as any high buck rimfire you can find...especially with better ammo.. in a single shot like this.. the $15.00 a box for ammo doesn't scare me as much as it does fof high volume varmint shooting...I don't use these in the varmint fields.. just strictly a truck gun getting to the varmint fields...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have had several of these guns over the years. 22 honet, .243 win. .450 marlin and even the Huntsman .50 ML. They have all been above average shooters. At one time I would have matched the muzzleloader with anything at 100 yards. a 3 shot group was one hole shooting a 240 gr .44 bullet in a 44/50 sabot with 2 50 gr pirodex pellets.

They are nice starter rifles for a new hunter and you can't beat the price.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a youth 20 gauge shotgun from them. I wonder if I could get a 204 barrel for it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1911a1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 72 invisible), 3,177 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,437
Posts18,528,637
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.