Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Camp meal. Nothing special.

Here is my normal camp meal. It�s not mama�s cooking but is high calorie, lightweight, easy to pack and cheap. Goes without saying any stove would work but if using my wood stove for heat than that is my preference.

[Linked Image]

1. Lipton side dish. Beans and rice but other side dishes work. I tend to avoid anything with powdered cheese type sauce. These have a bit more calories but they tend to burn much easier.

2. Olive oil. You can use packets or in this case a few ounces in a small canteen

3. Granola type bar.

4. Powdered milk.

5. Coffee with two sugars or hot coco.

6. Spiced Cider.

7. Pack of cooked chicken. Beef jerky or anything like that is good too.

I fill the cook pot and cup with water and bring it to a simmer leaving enough room for the food to be mixed in.

[Linked Image]

Mix in the side dish and olive oil. I normally use � oz of oil.

[Linked Image]

Cut the chicken up and then add to the mix.

[Linked Image]

Keep cook pot at a simmer or boil and still occasionally. Normally it will be done in 7-12 minutes.

[Linked Image]

Let sit of another few minutes with lid for thickening than enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Sometime during the later stages of cooking the main dish check the cup. It should be boiling or at the very least simmering. Or if using a normal camp stove put the cup on as the main dish thickens.

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/100_5596.jpg[/img]

Make your cup of coffee, coco, tea or spiced cider. Whatever floats your boat. Side it off to the warming tray or ground if you don�t have one.

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/Daytraderwon/100_5598.jpg[/img]

This meal will not win any awards at the country fair but sure beats Mountain House or MREs in my view.

What do the rest of you guys cook when in camp?

GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I wish I cooked food that looks that good. I've found since I went to using alcohol stoves I am more likely to take food that needs a bit of cooking, Even though I know about how long the canisters last I still tend to be real cautious because I can't actually see how much is left. I don't take my tipi, wood stove setup very often due to the weight but when I do lazing around the fire cooking food is great but my best effort probably wouldn't match that meal. Thanks for the idea's hopefully a few more will chime in.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks tastey. I also like the Lipton dehydrated items. They are cheaper than freeze-dried.

That hot spiced cider goes right through me like a diuretic.

Those chicken breasts look heavier than what I carry in my backpack.

There is no big wood burning stove in my backpack. Mostly my backpacking food requires only boiled water.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For years we've cooked various things moose hunting while having the wall tent and woodstove. Everything from hot cakes and eggs and bear breakfast sausage to the previous years moose steaks and fried potatoes or just good old chili mac and other one pot meals. But no matter how simple it is, when you cook it still takes time, you have to haul all that stuff in with you on the 4 wheeler and you still have to do dishes. Too much trouble. Last year I cooked up some pasta/cheeze meals with ham, etc. and sealed them up with my vacuum packer in one serving sizes and froze them. Then all we did was throw them in a pot of water on the stove and voila, fresh cooked meal. Pull it out of the water, cut it open an chow down. Only dishes to do were our spoons.

Sheep hunting is different story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pretty good plan Snyd,

I normally first think of sheep hunting when talking bout bp hunting, goes with our territory I guess.

while not crazy about dishes, I like to cook when out.

specially if I have my boys, my tall lanky one, loves a good home cooked meal, and so help me god, one of my life's greatest pleasures is fixing them for him and watching him chow down.

though daddy likes good grub too.

I gotta disagree with you though Woods, I think most every meal I've had out there has been special.

don't things just taste better over a fire and in the outdoors?

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what I meant to say Woods, I'da been honored to share in that repast with you, it's my kind of food. simple, hearty and great ambiance.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Good post, I don't eat dinner as much in camp while pack hunting anymore. For me, it's dinner during a break around 3-4PM, using a lightweight stove setup and a freeze dried dinner which I keep in my pack or daypack. I then continue hunting until dusk and eat a snack before going to sleep. (this new compact lightweight gear is great, a big thanks to the folks driving the ultralight craze).

I am going to try the Lipton sides, the Bumblebee foil stuff is pretty good stuff too.

MtnHtr

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those lipton sides rule... I have one here on my desk that I'm eating for lunch today (Teriyaki Noodles). The packet weighs 4.7 OZ, requires 12oz of water, and is 600 calories (the rice dishes are 700-800 cals). I typically take them out of the packaging and put them in a ziploc bag, they pack easier that way. I like to foil pack tuna too. Great post Woods... thanks for sharing. ~josh

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm wondering, best of both worlds... besides Patricks gravel dish, one could get the lipton sides of all kinds, and the cooked meat or do your own and then shred it down and dehydrate on your own.

I generally don't have time to experiment though, and have had the freezer bag cookbooks for 2 yeras now without playing...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mr. WoodsWalker,
Have noticed the various items you mention on our grocer's shelf but never tried them. Might be just the ticket for our upcoming Spring hunt for Grizz, a change of pace.
Will pick up a few items next shopping trip, for use here at the homestead; trial run so to speak.
Thank you.
Best Wishes

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My mainstay is usually potato Flakes, in one of a variety of flavors, Garlic, or cheese and bacon. I found I can heat the foil pouch chicken in the pot of boiling water that I use to rehydrate the spuds.

Some times I'll use a packet of powdered gravy mix to perk up the spuds.

I'm going to make more of an effort to dehydrate some meals at home. I'm thinking some ground venison, cut carrots, peas, spuds, some boullion and minute rice could make a nice one pot meal...

May have to experiment this winter. I'm looking on www.Freezerbagcooking.com

Clif Bar or Wilderness Athlete bar for dessert.

Theres a land where the mountains are nameless
And the rivers all run God knows where;
There are lives that are erring and aimless
And deaths that hang by a hair.
There�s a land�oh, it beckons and beckons
And I want to go back�and I will
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a huge fan of Lipton side dishes as the basis for a meal in the bush. I dehydrate tomatoes, onions, leeks, red bell peppers and other veggies and vacuum-pack them to take along. After breakfast of coffee and instant oatmeal, I put a mess of dehydrated veggies in a cup of left-over hot water and put the cup lid on. When I get back to camp, the rehydrated veggies and water go into the cookpot with the Liptons. If I've killed something, slices of tenderloin go in with it too -- sometimes after sauteing in sesame oil.

Some of the better meals I've ever eaten grin.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mtn Hunter.

I hear your cry. Anytime I eat in the field be it hunting, fishing or just plain old camping food tastes way better. Probably do to the amount of calories expended by just being in a harsher environment than our soft modern civilization. One big problem with our society is too many choices. I was at the coffee shop a few months ago and some women was screaming that they didn�t have a particular sandwich. She demanded the manager. Held up the line. Finally I asked her what was wrong with other 15 options available. She told me to shut up. Yesterday I went to DD for a hot chocolate. I had a total of 24 possible options based on size and flavor. It took my mind a minute just to grasp the concept. I don�t think the human mind is really made for this many options and tends to act all crazy.

L
Ldn Offline
L
Mmm, looks good! I do like the packaged chicken and such things for hunts. If I'm on a fly-out back-pack hunt, I normally leave some at my drop-off in a bear canister. Gives me something to look forward to at the end of the hunt. For weight/calorie ratio, I've had a hard time beating Mtn House though. On a sheep hunt I try and eat about 3000 cals/day, since I find I really can't eat much more no matter how hungry I am. Plus, I don't want to pack any more than I need to. I still lose a few pounds, since the avg sheep hunter burns 5000-7000 cals/day, but at least I have the energy to hunt hard and stay warm. I've also done the pre-cooked and vacuum sealed thing before when packing in isn't an issue. Sure is nice to have a great and easy meal just a boil away. Recently, I heard about another backpacking food company called Mary Jane. Mostly vegetarian stuff, but looks like it might be a nice supplement to Mountain House. Anybody have any experience with it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lipton sides and Idahoan potatoes are the norm. Usually mix in some sort of meat with the main dish. To much for one guy, but if two are eating it seems to be about right. Oh, don't forget a little jimmy beam to keep the spirits up.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
first day out I go with fresh food. After that, its Mountain House. I supplement with Cliff Bars, Tuna or Chicken in a pouch, crackers etc.
I prefer my MSR Pocket Rocket Propane stove to using a wood stove.
Dehydrated food takes a lot of water to prep, but in Florida, water is not a problem. I carry a Katadyn Hiker Pro, and several Nalgene bottles, as well as my Camel Back.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,450
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.