Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1972866 01/27/08
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Curious to hear how many of us have tried eating non-tradional [for some] foods.

Bum gut, moose nose, tongue, beaver tail, moose'n oats, raw seal, herring roe on kelp.............you know what I mean.

Personally I am kind of squeemish when it comes to some of them, tongue was ok pickled, roe is out, bum gut>>no way, beaver tail is chewy, raw anything isn't my thing.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always take the heart and liver...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
moose nutz are soom good as well. Skinned and sliced they are much like sausage meat.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the heart from just about any ungulate, might be because folks tell me I don't have one. Also love to collect and freeze all the livers and hearts from a season of grouse hunting and save them all those delicious morsels up for a nice feed at the end of the season.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Opps, double tap

Last edited by bushrat; 01/27/08.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
echo?....grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I taught school with a girl from Quebec I was real interested in and she made me some French fries with melted cheese and brown gravy. She said it was their National dish. I tried pronouncing it though and she said I used the French word for prostitute instead. I thought that was enough culture for the day. That's some exotic food.

My first few trips to Japanese restaurants I'm sure qualify. I never thought I could eat raw fish, fish eggs, kelp and bonito shavings in miso soup, seaweed salad... and the like

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For me only the heart of both moose and deer.

Rob

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Liver on the day of the kill, coyotes can have the rest. Moose tongue is good if you par-boil it peal it slice thin and fry, vg. heart is OK if stuffed like a turkey.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That would be "Poutine" - it's everywhere up here now.

For me the finest "semi-exotic" type meat is the way my Mom made moose heart filled with turkey stuffing and dark thick gravy. It was to die for, but since my Mom died, I've never had it.

I need to learn how to cook that to re-live that wonderful experience.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take the liver and heart and leave the rest for the ravens and bears. The one time I tried tongue it felt like, well, a tongue was sliding down my throat and that was enough for me. Now I give the tongue to a guy I know and he loves it.

Gerry.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do you think you might re-phrase that last line?

Nasty! grin

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Most exotic was likely the trip medicman and Dad and I made up north where we ate moose gonads fried in butter, also moose brains fried in butter. ALWAYS keep the hearts from moose and deer. My wife wraps them with bacon, and stuffs them with onions. VERY delectable. Great for sandwiches the next day on a dark rye bread with dijon mustard.

I have eaten beaver meat as well. (No smart remarks necessary.) It is very greasy, and needs to be boiled for an hour and then slow raosted after -- very tasty, and of course bear meat is good as well.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a kid my buddys father would eat squirle brains with eggs............. It was nothin but nasty.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ate dog in Korea, but was pretty intoxicated at the time so no real idea how it was.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of the girls my wife works with asked her how to cook an elk heart, she told her "We don't eat internal parts, only one organ goes in my mouth!" Atta girl.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. CanuckShooter:

As we�ve discussed in the past, I�ve had some family live up north in a couple predominantly Native communities, so between that, some travel overseas and a game banquet that the local gun club hosts, I�ve tried the following:
� Ungulate heart, liver and tongue quite often when I was young and IIRC kidney- once
� Head cheese from hogs, and pickled hog knuckles which were OK but quite salty.
� Zebra, which I rather liked the flavor of, but for a horse guy like me it looked a little too close to my cow pony for a real fine dining experience.
� Beaver although not the tail portion. It was a rather muddy flavor and a bit greasy. Found out later we should have boiled it first and then fried it to get rid of the grease. The mud would still be there though...
� Cougar, which is much like turkey in texture I thought. A friend claimed the tail meat was the best, but then he ate cow tail as well��.
� Squirrel, as in the local flea infested red ones. It was actually not bad in a stew.
� Bobcat, at the local game banquet one year, which I will try never again��It looked much like the latigo strap on my stock saddle and the taste was similar to what I�d imagine that horse sweat soaked piece of tack might taste like if I attempted to cook it�..

I had a Tahltan chap tell me that fall marmot is a delicacy for his people, but I have not been able to bring myself to try it yet as our local marmots are intensely buggy creatures.

I think that will be all I�m inclined to admit to this evening.

Good night all,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

We used to have a sportsmen dinner every yr. in our small town. Town grew with city folk livin in condos, all of sudden it was unacceptable. I like most wild meat.,I dont like organs but hey just me.
was up at Rankin Inlet and got to try muctuck (sp) it sure tasted well it lasted for 3 days.

" open sights - open minds"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've eaten all sorts of stuff...
cougar MMM

raw eyeball of moose (not so yummy, salty, fatty and weird popping)

sea cucumber mmm

all organs of just about everything..yummy if prepared properly, ad FRESH

sea urchin, etc , whatever....I will at least try it. smile

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It's called Poutine, man, and it's freakin' delicious. And it is supposed to be cheese curds and gravy on fries.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.