Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think I need to get a TC pistol. I owned a contender many years ago, before there was more than one choice.

Can someone please detail the salient differences between the Encore and G2? What are the advantages of one over the other.

Thanks.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The encore frame is heavier and will take higher intensity cartridges. You can get any cartridge in the encore that you can in the contender and more, but not vise versa. To me, it depends on which cartridge(s) you desire to use. If you want more choices, go for the encore.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on what like2shoot said>

The Encore frame will handle any cartridge chambering that you would want to shoot. Extremely more versital. The nice feature is ( which is very much debated as to legality) you can switch from handgun configuration to rifle configuration very easily and quickly.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
On the other hand, the Contender is much lighter and trimmer. If the cartridge you want is available in Contender, you can have a lighter and more compact package. I have a contender with .223 and .30-30 Ackley and can't imagine a handier package.

Leon

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I too had a Contender yrs ago, and got away from it. But when the Encore came out with it's power advantage, I had to get one.
I really can't add much to what's already been stated. But I did do a trigger job on mine. The factory trigger can be lacking. I have no experience with the G2, but if it's trigger is the same as the original,,, it has the Encore beat there as well as the mentioned weight dept.
Personally I prefer the extra weight, it just seems to help settle it down, absorbing some of the body's natural tremmor.
And that extra weight also helps in the recoil dept. to a degree as well.
Pretty much as the others have said,,depends on what your intended uses are. After that, it's pretty much a personal thing.

Dave

Last edited by onesonek1; 01/26/08.

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
IC B2

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am thinking in terms of cartridges like 7-30 waters or 6.5 BRM - something appropriate for White Tail. Other possibilities are 454 or 460 for use in restricted areas'.
Montana hunting regs say

Traditional Handguns: A traditional handgun:
is not capable of being shoulder mounted;
has a barrel of less than 10 1/2 inches;
chambers only a straight wall cartridge,not originally developed for rifles.

What about barrels and other accessories. I'm assuming barrels don;t swap between the two, to keep idiots from putting high powered cartridges in the G2. What about grips and stocks?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't believe the .460 can be chambered in the G2,,,but not 100% positive on that. The 7-30, 6.5 BRM are very good deer rounds. I have the 7BRM, awesome little round.
Get custom grips, or do what I did. I bought a set from Boyds, and thankfully they were a tad big for my hand. Or at least they felt that way. I worked on them for about an hour with a dremel, fitting finger grooves, changing the thumb rest, palm and web areas slightly. I got it to where it fit what I thought was perfect. My groups are far better than with the factory Encore Syn. grip. After seeing those results, I'll do custom grips on everything. Consistant grip pressure is key. If you change the
grip hold/presssure, recoil will affect bullet impact a lot.
Good fitting grips, will help with holding the same way, same pressure, consistantly.
Dave

Last edited by onesonek1; 01/26/08.

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not keen on the new grip styles. I like the old ones better. I did find some customs stocks I like.

[Linked Image]

http://www.muttmotorpool.com/contender.html

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, is it true that older TC contender barrels fit the G2?

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like Encore for 460 S&W, at least I can only find 460 barrels for the encore.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes on the barrels Tod. Heres a pic of that re-worked Boyds grip I did.....not the best closeup view though.
[Linked Image]

Dave

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooter!

That's the encore, correct. Who did the fluted bbl?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, Encore. That was made by Mike Sirois/OTT of Dover, NH.. I just received another just like it,well, an inch longer in the 6.5-257AIR. Plus he doing a .30 cal. right now.
And Thanks!
Dave

Last edited by onesonek1; 01/27/08.

J
J
Tod,

Here is the another example of ebony wood from mutterpool. OTT 17HM2 barrel. John Cook does an amazing job on custom wood and is a first class guy to deal with.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jakerudy; 01/26/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
John does do nice work. Going to have him do me some forends.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tod,
Barrels for the Encore system are available form a host of good cources: Belmtc, MGM, Bullberry, OTT, TC Custom Shop, Coyote Guns. All will make an Encore barrel to what ever chambering you desire and whatever barrel configuration you want. Mike Bellm will provide you with all the info you need to make your Encore a tack driving shooter. Boyd Brothers can provide you with a grip or stock in many different woods or laminated wood. Pacmyer makes a great grip and forend for Encore handguns that really tames the recoil.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Jakerudy,

That is the nicest set of stocks I have ever seen on a G2.

Doc

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Jakerudy, that is one gorgeous gun.

What is the weight difference between the G2 and the Encore?

J
J
Thanks. This is actually the older Contender, not a G2.

Think the weight difference is about a pound to go to the Encore. I don't have a G2 but my Encore is noticeably bigger than the Contenders. The barrel diameter is also larger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,547
Posts18,510,206
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.