Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Alot of the knives I really like come with Kydex sheaths and I just don't care for them. They seem cheap and every one I have had is noisy. I don't particularly care for a knife that is rattling around.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm with you. I much prefer a leather sheath.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't like em. Can't see paying big bucks for a knife without leather to put it in. Just my taste. Can't see paying extra to get a leather sheath made either.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm with you guys, I love the smell of leather.

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I prefer the leather sheath too. Bout the only time I dont care to much is with a truck knife. The one that came with my gerber freeman(truck knife) had a hard plastic insert an kinda lets the knife kinda snap in-place

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In a well made Kydex sheath the knife will NOT be "rattling around." In fact, the knife will be a very tight "snap fit" that literally locks the knife into the sheath. A plus of Kydex is the clean up. When you stick that freshly bloodied knife back into any sheath you are making quite a mess in there. Once home or at camp, some warm, soapy water, sprayed through a Kydex sheath cleans that gunk out nicely. Quality Kydex is a users sheath. It doesn't rot, stretch, is super easy to clean. No, it doesn't look like a well crafted leather sheath, however, it will outperform leather in the field in actual usage. Leather is nice for light duty and safe queens - Kydex for "go hard" knives.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC, good post. I hate like hell to put a bloody knife back into a leather sheath. It is a real pain to lay it down while I am pulling down on hide, instead of putting it back into it's sheath on my belt. I can see where Kydex will certainly have it's merits.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only place I prefer kydex is in neck sheaths for fishing or rafting knives because of the secure hold when worn inverted.

I've personally shattered two kydex knife sheaths and a kydex flashlight pouch in normal useage in cold weather and seen several others broken as well.

Just as different knives have different applications, so too carry systems.

Last edited by Journeyman; 01/30/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently got a Dozier slim outdoors man knife with a horizontal Kydex sheath.... Zero rattle and right there when I need it.... I'm very pleased with mine... its becoming an everyday carry knife.

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The only Kydex sheath I've handled/used is on my Dozier. It's awesome. I like the feel, look, smell, etc of leather....but for using it, the Dozier Kydex sheath is AWESOME.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me it's leather as well. I just wipe the blade down fairly well before resheathing. I haven't used a kydex yet, but can see it's practical application. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to some things. That and the fact that leather reminds me of a gal I used to date that had a fondness for leather. She was...well...very interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dozier is a master of kydex. In around two dozen Dozier kydex sheaths I have yet to find a flaw in the fit of the blade or handle to the kydex. Dozier's leather sheaths have a kydex insert for security and easy clean-up. The best of both worlds! They are very, very, well made.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This seems like a good thread to ask the following question:

I have a couple of knives that (for different reasons) lack sheaths.

Is there any business (hopefully on the net) that will make Kydex or leather sheaths to fit a knife if you sent it to them? Nothing fancy, just a good safe sheath.

Alternatively, can one buy Kydex? I understand you use heat to fit it to a given knife -- maybe I could make a simple safe sheath myself?

I took a fall a few years ago -- just after finding out how sharp one could get a knife with those expensive Japanese water stones! My freshly-sharpened belt knife cut through its sheath to poke me in the thigh. It was a minor cut, but it might not be the next time! It made me think about the need to have a really properly constructed leather or Kydex sheath.

John

K
kup Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
maybe?:
http://www.buybrownholsters.com/knife_sheaths_specialty_products.htm

most likely:
http://redhillsheaths.com/
http://forums.bowcountry.com/bcforums/showthread.php?t=5598
never used or affiliated with any, just found them when I was searching with the same question

kup

kup
(coupe)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From personal experience:

KYDEX

Tom Krein does about the best kydex I�ve seen. He worked for Dozier for several years and has modified their design into a more versatile sheath. Tom's rebuilding his site but his contact page is up: Krein Knives Contact Page

Mike Sastre at River City Sheaths in Ohio is top notch and makes many styles � some very traditional looking to be so high-tech�

Eric Noeldechen of On-Scene Tactical is also excellent. With our crazy post-9/11 laws here in the U.S., Canada might be an easier shipping proposition from Sweden�

LEATHER

Literally hundreds of options. I still like Kenny Rowe the best, and it's amazing how reasonable his pricing with him considered by many to be the "Master"...

Last edited by Journeyman; 01/31/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand there are guys that do great work with Kydex, but it still doesn't change the fact that its butt ugly and looks like a simplified cheap option. I also understand it certainly has its purpose--I just do not like it for a work-of-art type knife--even a nice custom working knife.

Will

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hate em, leather all the way, all the time

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have any "art knives." All mine get used and are workers. I probably run about 50/50 kydex and leather. For a hard working knife, pure and simple to me, kydex wins over leather. I like leather and all, however to me it just cannot compete with kydex overall in hard use.

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't know what art knives are, but I won't buy a knife that doesn't come in a leather sheath!

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Must be a location thing...cuz to me it's exactly the opposite. Kydex is a useful tool in warm and wet such as rafting or stream fishing. It's not worth a crap in the environmental conditions where I do most of my hunting...

To me a typical hunt is backcountry/backpack. Let's use deer just to keep perspectives since they're hunted all over. To me, once I've killed a deer, then field dressed, boned and caped it, and am now gonna put all that meat, selected innards such as the liver, a wet cape and a rack and skull in/on my $500 back pack I'm not overly fretted with wiping off my knife and sticking it back in its sheath...

Last edited by Journeyman; 01/31/08. Reason: wow, that's twice...sKull, darnit!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 35, 9 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,253
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.