-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My 3+ yr old lab has started "chewing" the birds on retrieve. Especially still alive birds. He has also taken to stopping a few feet from me, and giving them a couple of good crunch's before finishing. He's retrieved a lot of birds over the last couple of years, and this just started.
He used to be exceptionally soft mouthed on 'em, and a few roosters nearly escaped. I'm not sure if he thinks he needs to kill them now or what.
Would sure like some input..
I'm wide open for suggestions.

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Take a fake "bird"... or even a dead REAL bird (pheasant or quail) and make several "wraps" around the bird with a few strands of "smallish" size barbed wire... and take the dog out in the field with your shotgun or a starter's pistol.

Put him down and get him "hunting" out in front of you, then shoot the gun and toss the bird as far as you can in his direction.

When he "mouths" THAT "bird", he'll quickly learn it's not a good idea to "mouth" or chew birds... and after a practice session or two, he'll quit "mouthing" the birds.

Reinforce the "lesson" from time-to-time to "remind" him that it's a "bad idea" to mouth the birds.

I realize this sounds "cruel"... but it works... and it usually doesn't take a smart dog very long to stop mouthing the birds.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ron,
My dad did nearly the same thing with our dogs when I was a kid. He sharpend up some rather large nails. Then took a frozen solid bird and hammered them through the bird when frozen. Mostly these were pigeons. When the dog carried one of these back to him it was never bitten, chewed, or fought with. The trick was to barely have the nails sticking out the exit side.

I always wondered how those dogs would carry them back when alive because they were barely held in the dogs mouth. I guess when the birds flap around the dog will squeeze a bit more, but never to enough to risk that sharp nail in the roof of the mouth.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JJHack...

Yes... that's how I "broke" a great, but "mouthy" German Shorthair... a few "tastes" of those "barbs" was "all-she-wrote". From then on, Duke was as soft-mouthed as my high-school sweetheart... hahahahaha... grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
In the off season I use a brush with 1.5 " stiff bristles for my labs to retrive they float in the lake and they sure do not like the stiff bristles poking thier mouths so do not bite down hard. Use the barb wire or small finishing nails if the brush does not work.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
thanks all. It has worked on the dummies/bumpers and I'll be trying it with a bird soon.
Another thought on the cause. Could the competition of another dog, that doesn't honor the retrieve, be contributing to it?

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (AlleghenyMountain, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 12 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,844
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.