Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I noticed that most of the Ingram Charlie May knives I see on this sight do not have bolsters. Is their a reason or is it just for the looks?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fire off a email to Charlie and ask em:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
G
G
They are mainly for looks. Although they will also provide a wider platform for the thumb and the side of the index finger to use while cutting. By doing that....your hand and fingers will not get as sore as quickly.
Just my 2 cents!!
Lee Perkins

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
IMHO
Bolsters are just an extension of the scales for practical purposes. They can also add to the looks, if that is what you want.
Again, my opinion only.
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
MRK, I fully agree as it pertains to the Ingram/Mays style of knife, but many other types of fixed blades have bolsters that are needed to protect the handle from impact or wear at the blade junction if the handle material is somewhat delicate such as Ivory, Pearl, etc. The handle materials I've seen on the Ingrams posted here don't need that kind of protection.

As you pointed out, oftentimes bolsters are just decorative and are used to enhance the beauty of the knife or to showcase the skill of the knifemaker. These are some examples of Mike Wilson's work currently listed for sale over at the Bladeforums site:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WMacD; 02/01/08.

MacDonald
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WMdacD
Those are some fine looking knives.
Bolsters as am extension for the slabs, could mean that they are there to protect the rest of the handle material-- I suppose.
I,however, have not used any of my knives (that are without bolsters or guards) in a manner that would damage the slabs. But I have never been in a serious knife fight while hunting, (but I have killed a couple things with a knife).
I like bolsters, they are just more work than I usually want to put into a knife.

Did I say that those were some really fine looking knives???

Also since you had the original "Campfire Knife" idea last year---pm me on your thoughts on doing it again this year.
mrk

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I didn't show photos of the entire knives, they are outstanding:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I believe both knives have been sold since being listed at Bladeforums. The top knife in Buckeye burl and Ebony was $270.00 w/sheath and the bottom knife in Stag and Box Elder burl was $280.00 w/sheath.

I apologize for taking this off-topic.

MacDonald
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another reason to include a bolster, in many cases, is to improve the physical balance of a knife.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I respect all who posted here greatly and so must say that IMO bolsters are very important from a safety perspective and I would never give a family member a knife w/o one. In the late 60's near Fairbanks in unbelievable cold I did 3 caribou in a row and by the end of the session I could barely hold on to a bolstered knife. In a freak snowstorm and cold in AZ while cleaning a deer with numbing hands I slipped with a bolsterless knife and cut a finger. In the first case I know I was safer with a bolster and the later I know that cut would not have happened w/ a bolster. Maybe I am just too unskilled or not careful enough but I don't think that is the case. Thanks for reading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
handsup I think you are refering to a finger guard...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,078 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,966
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.