Print Thread
Hop To
T
teesh Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Just bought the Chrony Beta Master from Midway. But I'm new to chronograph use. Was wondering if anyone could possibly offer any advice or tips for a new user? I've read the basics of the unit and everything seems pretty logical. Just looking for any advice from those who have BTDT.

Can anyone recommend a specific tripod to use? I figure I ought to buy a good one since I'll probably be using it with a new high-end spotting scope ($750-$1000) that I'll be buying soon.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited by teesh; 02/02/08.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most any tripod will work, I use one I bought for my camera many years ago. I don't know that you need to buy a real "quality" tripod as all you need to do is hold the Chrono at the right height and steady. I suspect the cheapest one you can find will do that much.That said, it is YOUR money and decission.

S
S
Try not to shoot it the first time you use it - it is best to wait a month or two before you kill the first one.

Don't ask how I know!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As Ruger 4570 says any decent tripod will work. I got mine in a scratch and dent sale at our local photo place as the boxes had been damaged. It ran about $50 and is sturdy enough it will hold the spotting scope steady even with a stiff breeze. Does have bubble levels in a couple places which is handy.

I ended up gluing the sun shades together as they were just a pain to keep clipping together and they lay flat in the tool box I take to the range. Same thing with the shade supports I put a strip of scotch tape around them to hold them together. When I first got it I used some wooden dowels in their place in case I clipped one with a bullet which I'll bet will break the plastic they clip in to. I've since given up on that and in a bit more than a year of use I've managed not to put a round through it (yet).

Enjoy! It really starts to open a whole new world in reloading.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A tripod doesn't have to be really good, just heavy enough so it doesn't tip over in the breeze, or when your range buddy's teenager nudges it with his foot. And he will, he will.

I keep a small level - about 1.5" long - in my shooting box. I use that to level the Chrony box. Easy.

I agree the shades are annoying. They will die before the rest of the unit. One cracked the first time I assembled it, but it still works.

One bit of advice I got from an old friend was this: if somebody at the range says he'd like to chrony one of his loads, and could he pretty please shoot just ONE round over your unit, you can deal with it in one of two ways:

1. (If he is a stranger) Get a $100 deposit, cash money, before you let him use it.
2. (If he is a friend) Take the weapon from him and shoot it over your unit your own self.

- Tom

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 3,229 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,577
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.