Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I see in T/C's 2008 catalog that they are listing G2 pistol and rifle barrels in 5mm Rem Mag. Any word on who will be producing the ammo?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They maybe making this available for the center fire version - here is a link with some info and links to one source: 5mm Craig

Here is another source, I believe they used 22 hornet brass to produce their cases: Schroeder Centerfire Conversion

Gene
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gene,
thanks for the info. I've seen some of the info on centerfire conversions for the Remington rifles before.

It is my thinking that with the increased popularity of the hotter rimfire rounds that a newer generation, or more appreciative group, of shooters might make the reintroduction of the ammo financially feasible. I can see T/C marketing that barrels through the custom shop for some of conversion, although it wouldn't make that much sense, but a cataloged item?

I imagine we'll find out one way or the other after the SHOT show.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just saw some original ammo at a show a couple weeks ago for $69 a box, dealer still had the 3 boxes this weekend, I was told by another dealer he got it for $40 a box and origianlly tried to get $75. I think that with a lot of the shooters going to centerfire that some of these dealers that have been getting big prices and big profits may get stuck with a lot of inventory. There is another dealer that has several cases and only displays one box at a time for $85, he sells one every so often - he got all of his years ago for discount prices. I certainly agree that a dealer should make a profit but $29 or more on a box of 50 rounds is in my oppinion way out of line.

I have one of the rifles and haven't shot it in years. I was very impressed with the accuracy and performance and do not understand why it never caught on like the 17's. With all the ammo still around today after all these years there must not have been many who actually shot them a lot. Old West Scrounger had ammo listed a couple of years ago but when you tried to order it you couldn't, I was told they were just trying to see if there was enough demand to make a run, they never did to my knowledge.

Gene

Gene
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agulia is producing 5mm ammo. It is being introduced at the SHOT Show.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
can be purchased on www.forthehunt.com for 27.00/50.
just hope somebody will build rifles for it.
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There were design problems with the Remington bolt guns, don't remember the details, cases wanted to blow out under the extractor or some such thing. I had one, never had a case let go, but they were often bulged. When I swapped it off in the mid-80's the dealer was more interested in how much ammo I had to go with it than in the rifle. I think the other problem was the shooting world just wasn't into rimfires like it is today. I often wonder if it wouldn't fly today. If somebody'd offer good ammo I'd either buy one or, more likely, get a barrel made up for my Sako Quad. I would almost expect Hornady to give it a shot, they don't seem to be afraid to try something. I'll bet with the advances in rimfire technology that have been made in recent years we would see some improved ballistics over the old stuff, maybe a 25 grain bullet at 2200-2300?

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'd love to see the old 5mm make a successful comeback.

G
G
Here is an article I ran across the other day:

http://www.varminter.com/2008/5mmrrm.html

Aguila is making the ammo as slingshot said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now, if Cooper will just build me a Custom Classic!! smile

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Taurus is chambering thier Tracker revovler for this caridge too. Personally, I want a 10/22 in 5mm Rem!

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now seems to be a good time. Does the 5mm use 0.204 bullets? If so, there's a good selection.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have an old Remington that I kept because it shoots an inch at 100 yds everytime..It pretty junky but I couldn't part with it when it shot like that..I just bought 8 boxes of Aguila ammo for it and its back in operation..This new ammo runs $19.50 to $23.00 per box and is available from several outlets like Midway and Military supply in Texas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I my info is right the new stuff is only 30 grain instead of 38, does it still shoot the one inch groups?

Gene
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
5mm ammo is being made again by Centurion Ordnance out of Texas. It's pretty pricey right now. Google 'centurion 5mm rimfire' and you'll get some info.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Chuck, I believe that Centurion is the US distributor. It's manufactured by Aguila in Mexico. Suggested retial price is $19.95 (which is certainly better than the collector prices of original Remington ammo, which was as high as $100 for a pristine box) and the street price is already below the MSRP. It should continue to drop, as prices of all brand-new things tend to do.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's quite possible. A lot of things aren't made here these days. They sure don't charge Mexican prices, though. I can shoot my 22-250 cheaper than that.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Take a peek at the thread about 17 HMR prices lately. The 5mm won't seem so out of line.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 55 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.