Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Years ago, I had a large folding knife with two blades.....hinging from opposite ends.....one blade locked.

It made a very handy hunting knife.....is there anyhing like this availble off-the-shelf?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know of anything just like that, but it reminds me of the Case "LockHorn".

It had a clip point blade at each end, but both blades locked. There's one for sale, now, on eBay:

[Linked Image]
Case LockHorn ...... eBay

This may not be what you're looking for, ... but Moore Maker offers a large, two-blade trapper with a locking main blade. It is actually made for them by Queen cutlery, I believe, but is temporarily out of stock, according to the Moore Maker website. It has bone scales & 1095 carbon steel blades. Here's a pic:

[Linked Image]
MooreMaker.com

They also offer this same knife with stag scales, for a little more money. ..... Link

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Walker,

Thanks much for your help.....both appear to be very handy ....I'll check em out.

Vern

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basically what you are asking about would be some sort of variation of the "Muskrat" pattern knife. I think the Muskrat was a pattern developed by trappers for skinning small furbearers and had two similar blades which folded out from opposite ends. When one blade got dull from skinning the days trapline catch, another was quickly available.

The "Trapper" had two blades of different styles from the same end of the knife. Another knife designed for small game and furbearer duties.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The first thing that came to mind when you said "large folding knife with two blades" is the old folding hunter style of knife that was popular decades ago. They were made by many different companies; Camillus, Schrade, Queen, Ka-Bar, Case, and others, but none of them were hinged from opposite ends.

Muskrats do have opposed blades, but don't really fall into the "large" knife category.

This is a pic of a Case folding hunter, if it looks familiar.

[Linked Image]

MacDonald
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gerber "DoubleTake":

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
9246-GR41123.jpg (5.49 KB, 33 downloads)

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless I'm "seeing double" I see why it's called the "doubletake"...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WMacD,

My Dad's folding hunter bought in 1966:

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Yep, those old folding hunters are great knives. I have the Schrade 2-blade 25OT:

[Linked Image]

and the Schrade 225OT, which has a saw blade instead of the skinning blade:

[Linked Image]

MacDonald
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Either the Shrade or Case Folding Hunters look as though they will do the job.....was hoping for a lock blade in that size.

Several of each on Ebay.....I wonder if one has better steel than the other....

Thanks to all of you for your help.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Vern, .... If the Schrade is from their "Old Timer" series, it probably uses 1095 carbon steel, which I would personally prefer to the stainless steel commonly used by Case. Easy to sharpen and takes a fine edge. The 1095 steel will rust quite easily, though, if not cared for.

Here's a big "folding hunter" from Queen. Steel used is D2. Will definitely hold an edge longer than any Case or Schrade knife. No locking blades, though.

[Linked Image]
See this one at KnifeWorks.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's a two-blade folding hunter from Queen, with D2 blades and maple scales
(but no locking blades):

[Linked Image]
See this one at A.G.Russell.com

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by VernAK
Either the Shrade or Case Folding Hunters look as though they will do the job.....was hoping for a lock blade in that size.

Vern

Good choices by Walker. I can't speak for the Case version of the folding hunter, but of all of the Schrade 25OT's currently listed on eBay, only one is the old made in the USA model and the reserve on it is $125.00 The others were made in China after the original Schrade Co. closed its doors in 2004.

Schrade made a single blade version of the folding hunter with a locking blade (liner lock) and the blade is carbon steel (1095), it's a Schrade 125OT and is usually somewhat less expensive than the 2 blade version. Like the 25OT, there is an old made in the USA version and a new made in China version. PM me if you want more details on how to tell the difference.

Schrade 125OT w/locking blade:

[Linked Image]

MacDonald
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boker has made their large folding hunters with locking blades, in two versions. One has a large clip blade and a large skinner blade, the other version has a large clip blade and a combination saw/can opener. Both were made of 440C steel, double lockbacks. All of them I have seen were stag handled, but there may have been more variations. They are probably discontinued, but I am still seeing them for sale at gun shows and occasionally at knife shops.

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sure glad I posted here....what a wealth of knowledge....I had never heard of some of these manufacturers......currently comparing sizes and steels....leaning toward the D2 steel from Queens Cutlery.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fun, ain't it?! grin

I just happened upon another good-lookin', bone-handled Queen, but with 2 blades.

It's at ........... KnifeCenter.com

My Dad always carried a big, stag-handled Ka-Bar folding hunter, so I have a real soft spot for these things, and they're still doing the job, as good as ever. Neat design.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&W makes a two blade folder that opens from opposite ends. It looks alot like the Gerber one that is pitured here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Case is currently producing some CV steel knives, including a large trapper, for those that don't prefer stainless.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all!

I looked through all the suggestions and opted for the ueens Cutlery D2 with maple....very impressive knife.....thanks again...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 01Foreman400, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 45 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,663
Posts18,512,905
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.