Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SU35
Every man is a vacuum that only God Himself can fill, that can only happen by inviting him to do so.

I tried filling my vacuum with an awful lot of stuff and sometimes still do but, IME, that is absolutely true..... smile

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Longbob
Ricky,

You paraphrased my quote by leaving out the next sentence. Here are the two sentences together and it has a different meaning than what you are trying to portray.

I said "There are far too many verses where man is given "directives" by God to beat, rape, murder, and pillage. These are the passages that I refer to that man has violated the "Bible" with his own additions."

These directives are not the word of God in my opinion and that has been the consistent theme of my posts. Please do not suggest otherwise.

I said I was turning in and I must leave.
OK. I see what you are implying now, but it was not added by men. It was law inspired of God intended to be there for the reasons of justice and deterence I mention. We see it differently obviously, but I am curious how you do not see the justice granted women and the penalty put upon the man. Old Testament law to be sure, but wise beyond men's ability which always tends towards vengence.

It is far from justice being granted to the woman. The man is only punished if they are "discovered" (caught). Otherwise, he got away with it. If they were "discovered," how exactly does the woman come out vindicated? She is stuck with a guy that sexually assaulted her for the rest of her life. Which is worse, never being able to marry (based on their law at the time) or being attached to an abusive husband?

This type of punishment/deterrence is a slap on the wrist even for that time. Stoning would have been more fitting for the man's punishment and let the woman supply the rocks. How do you punish the serial rapist? They are generally not one and done. Does he have to marry all of them? Wait! Mebbe that is where we got some of the Morman beliefs.

Now I agree with you that it would be fitting punishment for the man if he raped someone like Hillary and had to stay with her. God help him. grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
It is far from justice being granted to the woman. The man is only punished if they are "discovered" (caught). Otherwise, he got away with it. If they were "discovered," how exactly does the woman come out vindicated? She is stuck with a guy that sexually assaulted her for the rest of her life. Which is worse, never being able to marry (based on their law at the time) or being attached to an abusive husband?

Ancient laws treat the rape of a woman as a crime against the father in the case of an unmarried daughter, or a crime against the husband of a married woman. The father or the husband were compensated as the victim, not the woman. A virgin daughter that was deflowered would bring a lower bride-price to the father when the daughter was married off. A married man was at risk of having to raise another man's child if the wife became pregnant. Rape was an economic or property crime, not a sex crime.

MacDonald
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by WMacD

Ancient laws treat the rape of a woman as a crime against the father in the case of an unmarried daughter, or a crime against the husband of a married woman. The father or the husband were compensated as the victim, not the woman. A virgin daughter that was deflowered would bring a lower bride-price to the father when the daughter was married off. A married man was at risk of having to raise another man's child if the wife became pregnant. Rape was an economic or property crime, not a sex crime.
That's right. Some don't want to see it or be accepting of it but it was a very different world 5000 years ago. Trying to see and evaluate things by our standards and experiences today is simply not valid. We have to try to put ourselves in the place of the cultures at that time to understand how things may have been. When Deuteronomy was written these were the kinds of laws men needed for their societies to survive and grow. They represented where mankind was developementally. It was thousands of years before man was ready for the concepts of Brotherhood and Grace that Jesus brought, and then it was such a radical departure from the law, many could not accept it and still can't.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Very interesting post LB.

I'm not a Christian but I do read the bible at times because has a lot of timeless teachings, IMO. I believe in God and pray every day and have considered going to church and but there's just soooo much in the bible (mostly Old Testiment stuff like Adam & Eve, the Ark, etc.) that I don't believe that I'm probably toast religion-wise. That's too bad too because I have two kids and I'd really like to be able to get them involved in something where they can grow and develop a relationship with God and God-centered people..... frown

You don't know me from Adam and just take this for what it's worth to you.

It seems that this is the time that many start believing a little more in God...concern for their children.

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Prov 22:6

Training them up in following the crowd is pretty scary for a lot of parents.

If you decide to try a church, you may find it to feel a bit phony, or feel you don't belong. I've been a Christian, pretty much all of my life and feel that way when I go to a lot of churches, more than I care to admit.

More often than not, there are a few kids in the church that you may attend that are much worse acting than your own. And, that's tough to deal with and tough for me to say. But, they are not the example, Christ is.

It's not easy finding the right one where there is a Youth Leader that is of high quality, but that is where to look. Everyone you talk to that goes to church will likely speak highly of their own Youth Leader, but do a little research on your own...find a group where the youth are active and not just there because their parents are dragging them to church.

Being a Christian is more than church. Just because a church has the name of Jesus on it, doesn't mean they truly follow Christ either. I'll go far as to say that if a Church says that they are the only Church that will be saved, then steer clear of that one. Being a Christian is following the lead of Christ, and truly following. If you pray everyday...then you may be more of a Christian than you think. Perhaps, pray to Jesus to show you the way. I'll pray for you.

Steve

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

I like the fact Geo or someone mentioned LARGE PRINT grin

Heck yes, LARGE PRINTand reading glasses is about the only way most of us can read the Bible.

LARGE PRINT is good.gringringrin

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good morning all.

Well in a post last night I was talking about the Jefferson Bible and said Jefferson used Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and English gospels from the Bible to cut and paste his bible. I was wrong. From Jefferson himself he says he used Greek, Latin FRENCH, and English. Thought I would clear that up. Also the offical title to his bible is "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth extracted textually from the Gospels in Greek, Latin, French & English". Don't try finding his bible using that title, instead use the title it is published under "The Jefferson Bible". I got mine from Barnes & Noble quite a while ago. I have the address of the publisher if anyone needs it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well, I don't know if I like the idea of it. The Bible itself clearly states that we should not intentionally change the words of sacred scripture, and that's what Jefferson did by leaving out the miracles Jesus performed. After all, if he didn't perform the miracles, then what good are his moral teachings, as they are the moral teaching of a raving lunatic.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Speaking of the miracles of Jesus Christ, "Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:" (Acts 2:22)

The miracles of Jesus Christ show God's approval on the Lord Jesus Christ, by God doing the miracles "by him." Take out the miracles, and you take away the approval of God for the 'man, Christ Jesus.'

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Well, I don't know if I like the idea of it. The Bible itself clearly states that we should not intentionally change the words of sacred scripture, and that's what Jefferson did by leaving out the miracles Jesus performed. After all, if he didn't perform the miracles, then what good are his moral teachings, as they are the moral teaching of a raving lunatic.

First, let me say Hawk I discuss my theology with those who like to discuss theology. Nothing I say here is an attempt to force others to see thing my way.

Deists don't believe in miracles the same as we don't believe in magic as practiced by Witches and Wiccans. Reason is our religion. Our religion is defined as a natural religion. Our theology is defined as a natural theology. Now there are things we can't always understand but we believe in time an explanation will be found. If one looks back over history there are many things that were considered a miracle or magic but modern science has been able to find a logical explanation.

Jefferson was a Deist and his religious writings, I think, prove it. Jefferson like all most all the major Founding Fathers were Masons. Masons either follow a Gnostic Philosophy or a Gnostic Christian Theology hence the reason that Catholics for many years were barred from joining by the Pope. I don't think that is so any more. Helena has a really nice Mason museum that is open to the public and one of the things on my list this summer is to go to it. It should be interesting.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

IC B3

B
B
I never thought my first post on a hunting forum would be
concerning my favorite book, The Bible. I read the Revised King James version and also the NIV 365 Day Bible. I find that when I spend more time reading The Bible I spend less time reading other self-help books; for it is the ultimate self help book.
Every answer to every problem that man can create is in That Book.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Boo9er
I never thought my first post on a hunting forum would be
concerning my favorite book, The Bible. I read the Revised King James version and also the NIV 365 Day Bible. I find that when I spend more time reading The Bible I spend less time reading other self-help books; for it is the ultimate self help book.
Every answer to every problem that man can create is in That Book.
That's the best first post I've ever read! Welcome to the Campfire, sir!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Atsa good 'un, for sure! Welcome.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reason is our religion.

Why would you build your life around a tool that is so easily manipulated and bent to a person's own biases? Anyone can use solid reasoning to come to most any conclusion they want. It's a person's zero order premises, the things he/she accepts by faith without proof that determines the outcome of reasoning.

The bottom line is you accept without proof the idea that the Desit concept of God is the only correct view. That is fine, but need to recognize that your acceptance of this unprovable idea is no better or worse--from a purely logical perspective--that accepting the unprovable idea that the Christian concept of God is correct.

BTW, how is it logical to believe that finding a natural explanation makes an event less miraculous?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah, boo, amen.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try here... http://www.biblegateway.com/ it has many versions of the Bible, you can adjust the print size and best of all, it will read out loud to you.

Kevin Haile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blaine
Reason is our religion.

Why would you build your life around a tool that is so easily manipulated and bent to a person's own biases? Anyone can use solid reasoning to come to most any conclusion they want. It's a person's zero order premises, the things he/she accepts by faith without proof that determines the outcome of reasoning.

Maybe, maybe not.

The bottom line is you accept without proof the idea that the Deist concept of God is the only correct view. That is fine, but need to recognize that your acceptance of this unprovable idea is no better or worse--from a purely logical perspective--that accepting the unprovable idea that the Christian concept of God is correct.

Roman Christians believe that Jesus was God. Deists don't. Who's right? Well I guess that's what each of us has to find out for him/her self.

BTW, how is it logical to believe that finding a natural explanation makes an event less miraculous?

A miracle is when a supernatural being steps in and makes something happen in violation of Natural Law. Deists believe that God would not do that. We believe that God does not rule the Universe except by the Laws of Nature which he first put in place. To us it's not logical to think that God would violate his own Laws. To borrow a Zen phrase, "It happens."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blaine
Reason is our religion.

The bottom line is you accept without proof the idea that the Desit concept of God is the only correct view. That is fine, but need to recognize that your acceptance of this unprovable idea is no better or worse--from a purely logical perspective--that accepting the unprovable idea that the Christian concept of God is correct.

Because of Jesus Christ! He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

There is enough historical evidence that He both existed and rose from the dead for me.

I do lack the faith to believe in your religion however....my flaw, I know.

Steve

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,763
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.