-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm considering one of these pretty seriously...probably the 10GLXP3 lefty model in 7mm-08 or .308...anyway, I know Savage makes rifles with great triggers that are generally MOA out of the box, but what are the scopes on these package rifles like? I know it's a Simmons 3-9x40, but don't know much beyond that in terms of quality, clarity, durability, etc.

If I opt to go with something other than their package variant, it'll probably be the Hunter series 11GL, and I'll put a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40 on it. Just wanted to gather some thoughts, opinions, experiences...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is the absolute bottom line of Simmons, in my opinion. I have bought a few of those package deals and gave the scopes away. The scope is an enticement to your basic shooter, not a quality piece to an experienced shooter who knows a good scope from a not-so-good scope. Get the gun you want, then buy the scope you want.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check the package price vs. the price of the gun alone and then decide. I have seen package deals at WalMart that were cheaper than the gun alone. I agree that the Simmons is a poor excuse for a scope, but it may work on a rimfire.

Leon

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Bought a .223 package rifle a year ago.

Great rifle.

Simmons scope is a fish-eyed piece of ...

I've put it on a loaner - it works but the fish-eye is distracting to me.

Do not figure the scope into your calculations as to the value as a package.

Harold

Last edited by Harold; 02/09/08.

Vermont Constitution: Article 16th. That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like others have said, check prices between the "package" vs just the rifle. I am not a fan of Savage rifles, and my first choice would be to buy an older Remington or Ruger for the same money. That is just me though. Savages are no frills guns, but they do use quality barrels thus are very accurate.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Leon mentioned what one of my ideas regarding this....I'm thinking about getting the package version, scoping it with the Leupold, and putting the Simmons on my 10/22. Would it hold up on a rimfire or is this a scope better suited for a centerfire?

L
L
SquirrelNuggets

Are you looking for a rifle to get started with?
If that�s the case the savage package is not all that bad of a deal. The savage rifles are generally really accurate.
Like everyone else said the scopes leave a lot to be desired but they do work. What I have noticed is that the scope rings like to loosen up, which is about as bad as a bad scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

... I am not a fan of Savage rifles, and my first choice would be to buy an older Remington or Ruger for the same money. That is just me though. Savages are no frills guns, but they do use quality barrels thus are very accurate.

In our hobbies each of us have our own taste and preferences that need not be defended to anyone. We do things because they make us happy. No one else's business.

In guns I enjoy the attributes of many makes.

Am curious... Given that you state Savage rifles are accurate...

And their AccuTrigger is better than most triggers as found on factory rifles...

What characteristics would Savage have to change to make you a Savage fan ?

Have you seen their new 14/114 Classic walnut-stocked rifles ?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've not bought any of these package guns, but have looked them over in the store. Neither the scope, nor the mount used, engender any trust with me. I buy one, if inclined, and immediately pull the scope and mount in favor of a more serious brand. Ebay would be a great repository for the pulled items- why not get what you can out of it, rather than tossing it in the trash?

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hammer1

... I am not a fan of Savage rifles, and my first choice would be to buy an older Remington or Ruger for the same money. That is just me though. Savages are no frills guns, but they do use quality barrels thus are very accurate.

In our hobbies each of us have our own taste and preferences that need not be defended to anyone. We do things because they make us happy. No one else's business.

In guns I enjoy the attributes of many makes.

Am curious... Given that you state Savage rifles are accurate...

And their AccuTrigger is better than most triggers as found on factory rifles...

What characteristics would Savage have to change to make you a Savage fan ?

Have you seen their new 14/114 Classic walnut-stocked rifles ?

Hammer
I kept my post positive on purpose and don't want to get in a pissing contest about the quality of Savage rifles. My current hunting rifles are 2 Sauer 202's and 2 Blaser R-93's. I am very happy with my rifles as I hope you are with whatever you shoot, but there is absolutely nothing Savage can do to win my business.

I just stated my opinion, and it is not likely to change based on anything written on an internet message board. If the original poster is dead set on buying a Savage rifle package, then he should by all mean buy one. He should have an accurate rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
I buy one, if inclined, and immediately pull the scope and mount in favor of a more serious brand. Ebay would be a great repository for the pulled items- why not get what you can out of it, rather than tossing it in the trash?

Kaiser Norton
+1 bought a .204 Ruger heavy barrel varmint rig as a package...scope and rings were junk and sold off ASAP....rifle was on sale so it was worth the hassel.....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hammer
I kept my post positive on purpose and don't want to get in a pissing contest about the quality of Savage rifles. My current hunting rifles are 2 Sauer 202's and 2 Blaser R-93's. I am very happy with my rifles as I hope you are with whatever you shoot, but there is absolutely nothing Savage can do to win my business.

I just stated my opinion, and it is not likely to change based on anything written on an internet message board. If the original poster is dead set on buying a Savage rifle package, then he should by all mean buy one. He should have an accurate rifle.

Took your posting as positive and hope you took mine likewise.
Did not mean anything negative.

Myself, I like Weatherby Mark V and Sako rifles a lot. Also Browning, Mauser, Remington, Ruger, and Winchester get some range and field time.

Just know that Savage is doing a lot to upgrade their models and some folks are changing their opinions on Savage. Was wondering if there was something Savage might do to further increase their appeal. But you said it clearly, so matter dropped.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
well check the prices locally somtimes the package gun is chear then without scope sometimes not as far as the simmons you will probally give it away or plain throw it away.Some people don't like savage's i belive this is cause they don't charge high prices as some of the competition does and if they did that earlier some of people that don't like savage would love them
my two cents

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you will get a real good rifle and a cheap scope,,,, get the savage rifle and put a quality scope and mounts on it and you are set. I have twice the $$$ in my scope and mounts as the rifle with my savages. Works very well,

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tbear99

Some people don't like savage's i belive this is cause they don't charge high prices as some of the competition does and if they did that earlier some of people that don't like savage would love them
my two cents

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I liked the look of that American Classic...just wish it wasn't a box magazine, I'd prefer a swingaway floorplate. frown

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with those that suggest looking at the totality of the situation rather than just buying a rifle and scope package for the convenience.

The package scopes and rings, as has been pointed out, tend to be on the low end. That said, so was the Bushnell 3x9 Sportview I bought for my first centerfire, a 7mm RM, in 1982. Although the optics never made me happy, the Bushnell proved to be both rugged and reliable and served for 20 years. I have had and still have several Simmons scopes and have been happy with all of them. (The current list includes a Aetec on my 7mm RM, a varmint scope on my .22-250 (bought used), another varmint scope that is currently collecting dust but which was on my 22-250 for many years, and a �.22 Mag� scope on my little .22 Browning. There is much to be said for utility and for a knock-around rifle a lower-end, inexpensive, easily replaced and functional scope may be the best choice.

On the other hand, buying used scopes may be the way to go. Most of my scopes these days were purchased used- including a bunch if Leupolds and a couple Simmons. Buying used gets me better quality for a given price. Unfortunately you may not be able to find what you need when you need it.

Used rifles are also a great way to save money. Like my scopes, most of my rifles were purchased used and I have yet to get a bad one. (In fact they all shoot very well to excellent.) I was able to pick up a used but like-new Ruger .257 Roberts for $400 and it included a Leupold M8 4x scope in the rings. A Ruger M77 .30-06 and Remington M700 BDL in .308 ran $350 each, both in great condition.

Last weekend I was looking for a rifle and scope for my future son-in-law, a wedding present if he stays the course (as expected) or a new rifle for me if he gets cold feet. After stopping by the Tanner gunshow in Denver, I ended up going to Gander Mountain and buying a Savage 111GNS in .30-06 on sale for $299. No scope. The scope I intend to buy will be a Burris Fullfield II with a Ballistic Plex reticle, the same scope I have on my .30-06 and .300 Win Mag. The scope will run about $170 to $190 and I�ll have to buy rings, probably Leupold. All done I�ll have under $550 in the project and he will have an excellent rifle scope combination.

The package guns are a good deal only if they meet your needs. You may be able to get better value by going the separate route, but convenience has its own value. Decide what you want, how much you can afford to spend, and how much time you want to put into the purchase and your choices will become clearer.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 21, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 58 invisible), 15,224 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,834
Posts18,537,116
Members74,047
Most Online17,050
1 second ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.