Print Thread
Hop To
J
jrod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a charles daly mauser action that I have had blueprinted and barreled and I am now looking for a stock for it. I have a bead on a really nice one for a great price, the only problem is that it was built for one of the intermediate mauser actions. My question is how hard would it be to inlet it for the full length action? The stock is just rough and hasn't been finished at all. It is a really good price, but I just wonder how much work it will take to make it fit and look good, or if it is even possible to make it fit. Thanks for any input

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Daly Mauser is 1/4" longer than the intermediate. Also, the guard screw spacing is about 1/4" more on the Daly.

You would have to re-drill the front guard screw hole and move the recoil lug mortise ahead. Of course the receiver ring would have to be inletted and you might end up with gaps behind the receiver rings new location.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If appearance means anything, get a stock that fits. If it's a junker that's thrown in the back of the truck, it could be cobbled together and that's exactly what it will look like.

1Minute
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
How good are you at stcok work jrod? It can be done, hard wood dowls glued in, screw holes re-drilled in. Recoil lug recut, might want to pin it in, lots of glass to make it fit right. I have done projects like this that have turned out quite nice, but the first one I tried was well like 1minute said. If your wanting to learn, this would test your skills. Good Luck

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
J
jrod Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Well,I have done a fair amount of stock work. The only one that i have had to modify though was around the bottom metal. It didn't quite fit, and the only problem I ended up with was that the wood that I glued in ended up being a shade or two darker than the rest of the wood when it was all finished up. Of course that bothers me because I know it is there but nobody else has noticed it unless I have pointed it out. I am just wondering how do-able this one is. It sounds like it will take a bit of work and patience to do it right.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
jrod,

I have an intermediate length Mauser (originally a 7X57). What sort of stock is this, synthetic or wood?...thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.