Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have just ordered a Nikon Monarch Gold Laser Rangefinder 1200 (a looong name). While waiting to get it, wondering what experiences you have of this or other similar products.
Good hunting.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Wasted your cash.

The Nikon sucks heavy azz, in comparison to the Leica.

Hate to be blunt, but that's where it sits.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, but if we stay in the same priceclass as Nikon. How is it compared to those finders?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Simply put, nothing, but NOTHING compares to a Leica. The difference in price, is SLIGHT, for the difference in performance.

Asking "well, what about the price range" is akin to asking whether a Yugo, a Kia, or a Hyundai is better, when a Mercedes can be had for the same price.

And, FWIW, you CAN get a Leica 1200 CRF for the same price range as the Nikon.

Send the Nikon back, unopened and get the Leica.

You'll be miles ahead.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Where can you find the CRF 1200 for the same price as a Nikon 1200?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The Nikon Gold.... yada... yada.... damn that's a long name.... runs better than $450 at Swfa (just checked, see: http://www.swfa.com/pc-6970-53-nikon-7x25-monarch-gold-laser1200-rangefinder.aspx )

Doug at Cameraland has the Leica CRF 1200 Certified Pre-Owned for $569, and the LRF 1200 Scans for $409 to $429.

Tell me how you go wrong, tripping the Nikon for a Leica, for $100 or less, and having shipping covered to boot?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, mine cost at www.sundowncoast.com 350 bucks. Want to give it a try.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Your money....

I've run Bushnells, Nikons, and Leicas. To do it all over again, it'd be Leica or nothing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have to disagree a bit. While the Nikon is certainly not a Leica I purchased a Buckmaster when they were first offered. I refused to purchase a Bushnell due to past history & it turned out both units were made in the same Chinese Factory. At least I wouldn't have had to deal with Bushnell. This unit has been submerged in a stream & used on an ATV during deer hunts ,& been used on many Western US, Canadian, & African trips. I have compared readings with a Leica & distance was +/- a foot or so. I have expected it to fail for the past 3 or 4 years but it just continues to perform. I will use in May for an African desert hunt. I may have to shoot it to justify a new Leica.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I'd say at that price you did well and shouldn't look back. Nice buy!

I've looked through the Leica and the Monarch side by side. I have to admit that the Leica's glass is better and I also prefer the red recticle over Nikon, but for a difference of $200 and the amount of time I'd use it, I couldn't (&wouldn't) justify the Leica.

Having the best is great, but having a reliable piece of equipment that suits your needs at a reasonable price is better.

NH Hunter.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have to agree with VA, for me it is Leica or bust. I run the Leica LRF 1200 scan and at Doug's prices it is simply a best value buy. The CRF offers a more compact, similar profile but for more $$$.

My brother has a Nikon 800 and it is best used to hold a door open or hold down paper. He bought it for bowhunting and even at relatively closs ranges it exhibited a lot of variation in reading and was unreliable at best. Becasue he didn't trust it, he didn't use it and now owns and uses the Leica CRF.

If you are buying a rangefinder than you forsee some need for an accurate ranging tool. Moreover, accuracy/reliability matters regardless of how much or how little you plan to use it. IMO, the Nikon rangefinders have not been reliable where as the Leica has. That is why I recommend you consider spending a few extra $$$ for a Leica LRF/CRF and support the forum sponsor with the purchase. To me that is win/win, even if you wallet begs to differ. :GRIN:

(If you want to run a Nikon, I can check and see what he wants for his... it has virtually no use, but consider yourself warned!)

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok. Leica is best. But I don�t always want to float with the stream, therefore I want to and will try Nikon and form my own opinion. I don�t change my mind. (Maybe I will later, then I tell you folks). I can�t imagine Nikon being such crap. It seems to me that many of you are very biased and anti to anything else than L. And also it must be shopped from only one place, the Right one. I do not agree to this philosophy at all. Try to convince with better arguments.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 300grains
Ok. Leica is best. But I don�t always want to float with the stream, therefore I want to and will try Nikon and form my own opinion. I don�t change my mind. (Maybe I will later, then I tell you folks). I can�t imagine Nikon being such crap. It seems to me that many of you are very biased and anti to anything else than L. And also it must be shopped from only one place, the Right one. I do not agree to this philosophy at all. Try to convince with better arguments.

I believe you asked the question to these guys in the first place, not vice versa.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
that or 100 or so guys did exactly what you're doing and came to the same conclusion independently, attempting to save someone else the same grief. wink

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you don't change your mind, why did you post a question on this forum of very informed users? I think the laser range finders is one of the few items where a regular guy could actually spluge a little and get the best, Leica. Now bonoculars are another story, there are lots of guys on here that can point you to way less expensive than the best, but still very good.

You can never go wrong calling Doug at Cameraland, he will give you a very honest opinion of what is a "best buy".

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Nope, that ain't it at all.

You asked a question; you got answers.

I've run a host of LRFs, and if I had it to do all over again, I'd save myself considerable grief and funds, and go Leica to start with. Said so, as a matter of fact.... repeatedly.

Look Leicas range better and more consistently than Nikons, the glass is a big step up, and the read out is FAR more visible when the light takes a turn for the worse. Add to that a better warranty, and far less likelihood of needing it, and you've trumped the Nikon on all counts, by going Leica.

That I've bought many other places, and none compare price or service wise with Cameraland is a given, at least to those that have BT/DT, or those that care to listen.

That I could care less what letter is on the side of my scope (having more than a few, of various make), is a given.... and I'll give you the straight up as to how they stack up.

That you jumped before looking, and can't like being told so, or how/why you might could have put yourself in a better position, is now clear.

In short, if you don't want to hear the answers, don't ask the question. If you, and the answers don't match what you want to hear, there might be more reasons to that, than just 'cause it ain't what you want....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
To start again.

My first priority was to hear many persons experiences of many brands. I got mostly of leica, understand it is classed as good. But all the others cannot be total catastrophes, or are they.

My intention with this thread is to hear many different stories from all kind of users. Most people don�t use Leica, depending on what ever reason. For my part money is not such a big problem if Nikon doesn�t fullfill my wishes/needs, I can buy something else.
But maybe it is so that curiousity will kill the cat, or ?

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't speak for VAnimrod ... but I have discussed this issue with him (and many others) at length before now ...

I run a Leica 1200 scan as well ... I've had Nikon and Bushnell, and have also used one of the new Swarovski models. My opinion of the matter falls in line with VA's ...

and that is, "cut to the chase" ... no need to 'dabble' in finding a different suitable LRF when the Leica is hands down the winner, with the sole exception of the newest Swaro unit or military grade stuff (most of which is not legal for civilian use) ...

Range finders, when needed, are critical. Lack of ability to get a range on a distant target, or a range finder which doesn't accurately report the range is a worthless POS - simply because it's failed to do the one thing it's supposed to do. More so, the further away you range, the more critical it becomes, as whatever projectile you're sending thru the air is dropping faster and faster the further it gets from you, making an exact range finding even more crucial, as a few yards might be all the difference between a hit and miss...

Sure ... I could skin a cat with a dull crappy knife made of soft steel ... but I'd rather skin it with a good, sharp, hardened steel blade that was made for the job ... and if I know going in which knife is which, I'm going to choose the latter ...

and that would be the point ...

-WGM-
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
To start again.

But all the others cannot be total catastrophes, or are they.

more or less, yes

Nikon doesn�t fullfill my wishes/needs, I can buy something else.
But maybe it is so that curiousity will kill the cat, or ?
how you spend your money is up to you. Then again, we try to benefit from each other's experiences

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If it helps you any....I'm a Leupold slut and I think their rangefinders suck!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (1minute, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 338reddog, 45_100, 23 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,927
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.