Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I was planning on buying a shotgun to do some hunting and i was wondering what gauge i should buy if anyone out there could maybe give me some advice i was thinking about getting a 20 gauge i would appreciate any advice anyone could give me

OSAMA BIN LADEN YOU WILL BE MEETING ME VERY VERY SOON.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you plan on hunting with you shotgun?

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The 20 gauge is fine for all upland game except turkeys. It is also pretty marginal for waterfowl. I suggest you buy something that feels good to you, something that is agile, and points well. Good luck, E

D
Doc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Youper has asked the right question. It depends on what you're going to hunt. However, if you want one gun that's adaptable to most everything, I'd suggest a twelve gauge pump, like the Remington 870. With this gun, you can shoot slugs for deer, and use shotshells to hunt waterfowl, turkey, and upland game. It's cheap and reliable too. <P>If you've got more money, you might consider a semi-auto if you like that action. If you're willing to cross out slugs for deer, you might want to check out a double. But unless you want to restrict your hunting to upland game, I'd stick with a twelve gauge, not a twenty. Twenty gauge is usually for folks who want a lighter gun for hunting upland game, since they'll be walking a lot and shooting game at pretty close range.<P>Also, don't think that a twenty will kick less than a twelve. Recoil is a function of gun weight and shot weight. A one oz. load fired from a light twenty gauge gun will kick harder than the same load fired from a heavier twelve gauge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd suggest a minmum of 3" 12 ga. 3 1/2" if you're even thinking about goose shooting.<P>Most all current semi-auto actions will, or can be adjusted to, handle very light loads. The pumps, O/U's, doubles or singles don't know the difference. The amount of recoil you're going to get depends upon your choice of loads.<P>You can use a 12 on anything from doves to monster honkers and with the 3 1/2 you'll never be undergunned. <P>Make sure the one you pick fits you well and feels comfortable as previously suggested.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

L
L
I agree. The 12 gauge is the way to go. I use a 20 gauge for upland but a 12 is better for turkey, deer and ducks. I own 5 870 Remingtons, including 12, 20 and 28 gauge. They work great. The best advise is to find a gun that fits and is in your price range.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mossberg kicks. It is more reliable than Remingtons since it loads directly into the chamber rather than at an angle. Go with the 500's or the 835's

L
L
In addition to my 5-870 Remingtons I have three Mossberg 500's. One of the 500's , a .410 bantam, had to sent back to Mossberg to be repaired two times before it was fixed. Both times it was for failure to feed from the magazine. Only one of my 870's ever failed. The twenty gauge broke the firing pin after thiry years of service. The Mossberg was brand new out of the box. Both Mossberg and Remington make good pump shotguns but the Remington is better in fit and finish. If it fits your price range buy the Remington.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grim, <P>You have received some excellent advice. If you are comfortable with a pump gun, run to your nearest Walmarts and buy the Remington 870 express 12 guage 3 1/2 inch with choke tubes for around $275.00. The absolute best buy going in the shotgun field. And with no disrespect intended, an 870 is many times more reliable than any other pump ever made. If it shoots the first box, it will shoot thru mud and whatever for years. If I had to bet my life that any commonly available shotgun would shoot x number of shells, besides a non recoil activated over and under like the Winchester 101 (no longer made, mores the pity)I would pick an 870 in a heartbeat. DO NOT GET A 20, you will never be overgunned and many times will be undergunned.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nothing wrong with the 870. But I am a sucker for SxS,,,BEARHUNTER

IC B3

C
C
Bearhunter, Like you I prefer the SIDE BY SIDE. i WONDER IF THERE ARE ANYMORE OF US OUT THERE COLDMOLD

D
Doc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Bearhunter and Coldmold, go to<P><A HREF="http://www.gunshop.com/HyperNews/get.cgi/gunshop.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.gunshop.com/HyperNews/get.cgi/gunshop.html</A><P>for people who love s/s doubles. Also, consider joining the Vintagers.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
This is from Remington's website:<P>If the Model 870� Wingmaster� were introduced today, it would be hailed as a major advance in pump-action shotgun design- the ultimate in strength, durability, silky-smooth bind-free action, and sleek classical lines. Yet this remarkable shotgun has been around for almost half a century, and has become <B>the best-selling shotgun of any type in history, with over six million made.</B><P>That sums it up pretty damn good to me. <P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>

<A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Having tried many types of shotguns over the years, I've learned the the 7.5 lb. O/U guns work the best for me. E.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Eremicus, you called it, a good O/U is the way to go IMO but, the hard facts of life are that decent O/U's and side by sides are fairly expensive. Since Grim appears to be a beginning shotgunner, he might not want or be able to pay for a decent double. With careful shopping you can find some decent used guns in the range of new semi autos or even a little less but you have to know what you are looking for.<P>Grim, if you are around a shotgun range, try to go out there with some friends who have shotguns and shoot some of theirs--with their permission naturally--and see if one gun or type feels better to you.<P>And finally, for those who love double guns, you should consider subscribing to the Double Gun Journal, great photography and a decent mag, altho it is expensive.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
My wife and I own 3 Mossberg 500's and don't have any complaints. We like the top tang safty and many of the other features. Like others have said, make sure you find one that fits you, one that you like and practice, practice, practice.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I've got to put a plug in for Browning's BPS... bottom eject and a top tang safety make it pretty versatile for right or left handed shooters. One downside with the bottom eject, however; is loading at the skeet range. You've got to turn the gun upside down and gingerly place the fist shell just so so can close the slide and feed the shell into the chamber... not an issue with an 870 or Mossberg...

INDY
D
D
I have to throw in my 2 cents here. Even though I've never owned an 870, I must admit I really like the reliability and simplicity of this epic design (wow, sounding wordy this late at night). <P>My first gun was a Win 1200 20 ga. pump...then three years later my Dad realized he should have got me a 12 ga. to start with and got me a Rem 1100 MAG for my 18th birthday. I still keep the 20, prefering it's light weight and quick handling for pheasants. But for ducks, geeese and turkeys it's the 12 ga. <P>After 16 years shooting the 1100 MAG, I just recently ponied up the $1100.00 and got a Left Handed Super Black Eagle Benelli. Love the way the gun comes to my shoulder. Not so wild about the kick from this 7.5 pound gun (my 1100 is almost 9 pounds and gas operated). But I'm getting used to it. <P>If I were starting out I would get the Rem 870 in 3.5" model. Can't go wrong with that one! Daubs

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Well mister reaper, sir (always refer to the grim reaper with a tone of respect!), if you would ever log back in and tell us what you are going to harvest, and if asthetic and cost are an issue, folks could get closer to nailing this down for you. Double guns are pure ambrosia, and highly addictive. But don't ask to knock down a deer with one. The Benelli semi-auto is light, swings beautifully and is just plain smooth, but if you have to sell your bird dog to get one.........<BR>But seeing as you live in Kansas, I'll just assume you will be hitting birds. Count the number of references to the Remington 870 wingmaster 3 1/2 magnum gun in this thread. Do you see a trend? All I can add to this thought is go with the black synthetic stock. A real "bottom of the boat" gun that is easy to care for, and won't spook waterfowl or deer for that matter as quickly as a gleaming wood stock. Wood is nice, but you don't buy an 870 because it is pretty, that is what classy doubles are for. I would venture to say that every gunsmith in the world is an 870 expert. You can get parts nearly anywhere!

To young to be this curmudgeonly.......
I have owned about everything at one time or another. What I have left are two Remington 1100s, a 1963 vintage 12 ga and a LWT20 ga magnum; a Winchester 23, 28 ga SxS; a Browning BSS 20 ga SxS; a nice old Garcia 12 ga SxS; and a Stoeger 20 ga SxS for CAS. Of all the guns I sold, I only really regret two, and one of those was a Remington 870 Magnum 12.
<br>Action type is a big personal preference. I grew up with a SxS and have gone back to them, but I really shoot an auto best. Just enjoy the SxSs best. You need to handle a bunch and decide for yourself.
<br>If you are not going to hunt waterfowl, turkey, deer, or long range pheasant, a 20 will do. If recoil isn't a consideration, a 3" pump, O/U, or SxS will cover all the bases, but if you get an auto get the magnum reciever and a 2-3/4" extra barrel. For slugs, an auto or pump will offer extra special slug barrels.
<br>For waterfowl, the newer bismuth, tungsten, and Hevi-shot alloys once again have made the 12 ga 3" all the gun most folks will ever need, especially since they will not make a 10 ga that weighs less than 10 pounds. I shot one for years, but they are just too damn heavy, and I am 6'-2" and 225. I don't get to go much anymore, but I got some big geese in September and some fat ducks in January with my 12 with no problem at all. I REALLY like that Hevi-shot and the tungsten-poly Impact loads. Maybe better than the good old days, except for price.
<br>I'd suggest you try to find a skeet range or sporting clays range that rents guns and try a few different guns out. Everyone will tell you how the O/U is great and why, but if you find you are like me and DO NOT like them, you can be well armed with something else. With a good grade SxS, and if you can shoot, you can enjoy out snootying some of them too. :-)
<br>Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (14idaho, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.