Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think the column of air being pushed in front of the bullet blows the tape/balloon out of the way before the bullet gets to the muzzle.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read it and weep, boys.

http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/article_detail.aspx?articles_id=579

http://home.adelphia.net/~geffert/deervis.htm

Do your homework before you get all pissy next time.

I wouldn't want a blue piece of tape on the muzzle of my rifle for reasons I described. There's better choices.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff,

At least the first article talks about ultra-violet blue, a wavelength out beyond the end of what humans can typically see. If you look at it you'll see that the clothes we wear may actually be glowing blue if we don't take certain precautions to avoid it. Of course, at the end, they sell a product which "helps" with that. I usually take sales pitches with a grain of salt. But heck, I'd rather miss an opportunity due to a deer seeing me than blow the end off the barrel - or worse.

There really is nothing like watching a fellow miss an opportunity virtually in his lap due to a fouled barrel/chamber/bolt to realize the value of a simple piece of tape over the muzzle. Who cares what color it is. Use orange for all I care if you are a felon and want to try to hide the fact that you are carrying a rifle.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
Read it and weep, boys.

I wouldn't want a blue piece of tape on the muzzle of my rifle for reasons I described. There's better choices.

-jeff

I'd suggest green tape for you....it'll match your knowledge of all things hunting and shooting

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had deer walk as close to me while wearing my blue/black plaid Filson Double Mackinaw, as when wearing full camo. Guess they were either color blind, didn't read the book, or didn't care there was a little more blue in their environment. Blue sky and water must drive the buggers nuts. Rocket scientists they ain't, and I doubt they can cipher the connection between a piece of blue tape and the toter's ill-will. Unless of course you're using your rifle for semaphoring.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I've had deer walk as close to me while wearing my blue/black plaid Filson Double Mackinaw,

Wht: they probably thought you was just a big bruise!grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scotch #88 - the electricians friend. Good in hot or freezing weather (in case you want to use it to wrap a wire joint).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scotch #88 - the electricians friend.

Scotch 88 is the only electrical tape that our company buys,because it remains pliable and sticks even in low temperatures,unlike most cheaper tapes.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How's this for homework? Screwed, blued and tattooed....

[Linked Image]

Blue rifle, blue shirt, blue eyes, blue sky. Guess he didn't read the articles.

Knowing trumps guessing........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
yes i put tape on depending on weather conditions I never noticed and loss of accuracy

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice deer, mid August?

Which rifle is that one?

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Read it and weep, boys.

-jeff

Are you really suggesting that a piece of tape that measures less than half an inch will make the difference between a deer spooking and not?

How sharp do you think their eyesight is?

Last edited by KodiakHntr; 02/16/08.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Knowing trumps guessing........

+1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.... There's better choices.

-jeff

Of which you've offered none.

Me

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It is well-known that deer are scared of blue sky. Case closed.

As for the tape, I have used it in all sorts of hunting conditions, for all sorts of reasons, for keeping snow and dust out of the bore, for protecting the muzzle while in a saddle scabbard or when it is resting on the floor of a pickup, and for keeping the bore from rusting when hunting in really wet weather. It works for all those purposes, and beats balloons for some.

I have also tested it at the range and it has zero effect on accuracy, velocity or anything else. The only negative I have ever witnessed was when a piece of blown-off tape hit an African tracker standing maybe 5 feet to my right after I fired a .375 at a wildebeest. It stung, but since it didn't break the skin, the tracker survived.

Many of my rifles have a few inches of tape still wrapped around the barrel right behind the muzzle right now, where it rests patiently, awaiting hunting season.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read it and weep, boys.

-jeff

crazy

I'll offer this Jeff-
I have a few acquaintances that can't wait to bless me with their recently aquired knowledge from the last magazine article they've read or by watching a TV program aimed at selling product. If they've read it or seen it, it must be gospel ---- it's no coincidence they're all pi$$ poor hunters.

More time doing, less time reading, talking and typing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jeff

I gotta agree with whats already been said about using blue tape.

an lets just say that these deer do see the tape, How many deer have you saw while hunting were watching you but just pulled back into the brush, waiting for you to pass on by? Even if deer can supposedly see the color "blue" it doesnt mean its goona spook them,

Im also thinkin that if that deer can see your tape, then it has allready got you pegged for what you are

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What a tempest in a teapot ya'll have whipped up...

It's simple. Research seems to show that deer see blue well.

Therefore, on a thread about muzzle tape, when someone mentions using blue tape, it's worth considering that perhaps blue is not the ideal color to use.

(Imagine how obvious someone dressed in camo would be, to us, if they had blaze orange tape on the muzzle of their rifle, fer instance.. that orange dot would really stand out)

And that's it! Sheesh. Go tape your muzzles <g>.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Deer also see sticks real well. I take it I should return my Mossy Oak? I know that bastard could see my Buick - but I still got him with it. Wonder if it was the wrong color to scare him off?

Considering blue is common enough (look up) I ain't fretting it.

The Cult of Blue tape is alive and well with pictures to hang, ain't no starvin' hunters because of said use. Now I do know plenty of starvin' guys who can't see game due to their nose buried in Field and Stream....

Last edited by teal; 02/16/08.

Me

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

Looks like blue didn't spook this one.......

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.