Home
My hunting buddy always places a piece of electricians tape over the end of his barrel to keep snow or dirt out. I have never done this for fear that it would change the point of impact on that first shot. I have to admit that I have accidently got snow in my barrel on occasion and had to clear it.

Has anyone tested their rifle at the range to see if this practice does change the POI, or am I worrying about nothing?

Yes i do...no it doesnt...yes you are....grin
I do it depending on where I am hunting and weather conditions. As noted above, it doesn't change the point of impact. I have tested this with so many rifles that I don't bother to check anymore.

I keep a roll of electrical tape in my day packs and fanny packs just to safeguard my barrels and to attach the carcass tag to a kill. I actually prefer "penny balloons" for the muzzle, but never see them for sale anymore...
Originally Posted by sgt217

Not much more to add to that, other than I concur completely.
And if the weather is hot and the hunting is slow, it keeps out the "dirt-daubers".

grin
I always do, except I usually use the blue 3m painters tape, seems to stick better.
I do, particularly during our late muzzleloader season here in Michigan; almost a month of hunting during December... I load it once and simply remove the primer between hunts, so I want to be sure that no moisture collects in the bore.

I haven't ever done this w/ my other deer rifles, but wouldn't hesitate if it were extremely snowy and I was doing a deer drive or something...
I prefer translucent tape (Tesafilm or s.l.th.) over the muzzle because it allows me to check the barrel for obstructions.
I once found a whole clan - Dozens - of Earworms crowded in the barrel when the rifle's bolt was left open for some hours during a midday rest).

Yep! Been doing it since I was a kid.

+1! Never would have thunkit, myself. Never will doubt it again.

FC
handwerk, don't deer see blue very well? Seems I read that once in a story about why they DON'T see blaze orange well.

If so, I wouldn't want a blue dot on the end of my barrel- at least where I hunt, which tends to be be close-up.

I had one day a few years ago that I should have put tape on my muzzle... sloppy slushy snow all day, then it got cold and about froze my rifle solid. I guess enough water got into the rest of the rifle that it might not have even helped, really...

-jeff
Dude.........
Do it, wont hurt accuract at all.
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
My hunting buddy always places a piece of electricians tape over the end of his barrel to keep snow or dirt out.
I don't drag my crown in the snow or dirt... Saves me the cost of tape... laugh
I always do except for the one time I was taking my at the time 13 year son on a on a youth hunt he slipped plugged the barrel we were discussing he had to be more careful and how dangerous that was 2 forked horns came by us walking at thirty yards. Lesson learned we always tape the barrels now. grin
There's a few muzzles I'd like to put some tape over...
[quote=RedneckI don't drag my crown in the snow or dirt... Saves me the cost of tape... laugh [/quote]

That's cheating... grin
I do, but have never tested it because I first read about it in a Finn Aagaard article where he said he'd tested it and it had no effect on POI. Aagaard's reputation as a person whose word you could bank on was good enough for me.

I even do this in dry weather, ever since I was crawling after a herd of blesbok and realized my muzzle had poked into some dirt.

I also keep a supply of extra tape right behind the muzzle. This is usually good for a question or two at the range. I once told a guy it was to hold the last three inches of barrel in place; he looked like he didn't know whether to believe me, or punch my lights out.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/1765816/page/5#Post1765816
I tape mine. I did read(maybe here)where somebody had a taped muzzle and accidentally dunked his rifle while crossing a stream. this partially filled the barrel with water because the tape wouldn't let it drain out when carried muzzle down. Maybe you should be sure and carry a taped rifle muzzle up in the rain?

Just a thought.
That was easy, do we want to do Opinions Of Butler Creek Scope Caps next? grin Maybe there should be a sticky of FAQ's somewhere?
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dude.........

I almost lost a gulp of baileys and coffee when I read this. It's a tired expression on the boards, but true in this instance...
I lean toward the ballon deal just to avoid adhesives.
I like the electrical tape made for cold weather, since it seems to keep on (re)sticking even below zero.
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Dude.........

I almost lost a gulp of baileys and coffee when I read this. It's a tired expression on the boards, but true in this instance...

If only some people's dads, had put tape over the ends of THEIR barrels...
We always put electricians tape over the muzzle. It's saved me at least once. Also, take a couple of extra turns around the barrel. Then, after you've taken a shot, you've got extra tape to unwind to replace the tape on the muzzle.
Bear in Fairbanks
Big fan of electrical tape.
I do now..But still have a balloon or 2 on stand-by.
electrical tape my azz....
allot shoulda used duct tape..... laugh laugh laugh

George
Been wearin blue jeans for many years...
Hadn't bothered the deer yet...
Where'd ya come up with that nonsense?

George
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

I don't disagree, but am not sure where you were headed...
no tape for me, tinfoil! off my hat.

now were did i put my bear proof suit?

Yes, now & forever........has no effect on POI.

MM
Bear proof suit won't do you much good when you're wearing that Salmon Carcass Cologne. ~josh
Ditto Sgt. Not necessarily about dragging the crown in the dirt,but snow does fall out of the sky or trees, and debris builds up in scabbards,or slings break, ect
Of course. Lots of positives, very few negatives. Tape is cheap.
Originally Posted by DDP
Bear proof suit won't do you much good when you're wearing that Salmon Carcass Cologne. ~josh

no worries, the suit will protect me!!

LOL!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3CzYw5-qdA

hot damn I surely do love me some "bear proof suit!!"

It's friday... and it's almost miller time!!

Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
I prefer translucent tape (Tesafilm or s.l.th.) over the muzzle because it allows me to check the barrel for obstructions.
I once found a whole clan - Dozens - of Earworms crowded in the barrel when the rifle's bolt was left open for some hours during a midday rest).

Do you bury your rifle??? smile
Yes I tape. it works great and gives me a reason to pack extra tape wrapped on the barrel for that cool look!
It actually enhances accuracy. The tape allows extra air pressure to build up ahead of the bullet in the barrel and when the pressure finally breaks the tape, the tape disk is launched staight ahead at high velocity and creates a momentary "flat spot" in the atmospheric meplat (that small cone of air pushed straight ahead by the bullet meplat) which the bullet itself then slips through in a more regulated manner, thereby negating the unevenness inherent in the microsphere at the crown normally induced by the slower expulsion of the air ahead of the bullet.
Gorrilla tape. Waterproof and verifiably so by my own 'extreme' testing on the Alaska Penninsula this past October.
Ok, you guys convinced me. Even though I've never had a problem that I was aware of, there may have been times when I had snow or other stuff in my barrel that I didn't know about, and the tape is cheap with no downside, so its just cheap insurance.
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
handwerk, don't deer see blue very well? Seems I read that once in a story about why they DON'T see blaze orange well.

If so, I wouldn't want a blue dot on the end of my barrel- at least where I hunt, which tends to be be close-up.

I had one day a few years ago that I should have put tape on my muzzle... sloppy slushy snow all day, then it got cold and about froze my rifle solid. I guess enough water got into the rest of the rifle that it might not have even helped, really...

-jeff
I'm speachless,you out did yourself.....
Mind boggling.......
Dancing Bear: I like to leave the roll of extra tape on for a year, or two, or so.....leaves a mark, maybe a bit of light rusting crazy............looks cool later when people ask "what's that"! grin
I posted.....I left......Good grief, I think I'm gonna go have a beer and ponder the post I just read...

Jeff, do we hunt in the same state???? Are you actually hunting in Western Oregon??? I've heard you mention "where I hunt" and how close you're getting to these deer that guns are loaded.....quiet safeties are employed, and now the chance of a blue piece of tape might spoil it all.

I think you might want to go to a matte camo Kabar and turn in your rifles. I would suggest that you don't sharpen it......that shiny surface might give away your position before you commence to lunging and stabbing wildly................grin
Hope to Chirst he ain't got blue eyes, but I'm guessing they are brown........
Hence a sharp stick in their eye.....

John,

Been doing it for many(many) years.No problems to report! That said, electricians tape can also be used for many other uses. Such as emergency repairs(stocks, ect.), first-aid uses(splints,ect), and many other things an imaginative mind can invent. memtb
When carrying a rifle in a scabbard yes.

Spot
...I buy a package of the very small size party ballons. Just roll one over the muzzle end and you're all set. It does not effect point of impact at all, but very effectively protects the barrel from trash entering the bore...This has worked for me for many years now..
What color balloon do ya use.....might wanna use clear condoms so as your position isn't given away.....grin
In Wally World, they have small latex covers for individual fingers. They're with the gloves.
Cheap ins. Carry a roll in my pocket.

-jeff

"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." -- Billy Madison
Scott...we better follow Brother Bill's lead and go for the colorblind ones....

[Linked Image]
BD- rest assured my rascal tapin' lament tweren't aimed at KT's or Greyhound's father-in-law, if that's what you were wonderin'.
LOL...naw, wasn't thinking that...
BD,
Nice Sitka. I would love to slip back up there and hunt those "ghosts" again. The two bucks I harvested were double throat patched and yours looks the same. Are all the Sitka bucks you've seen on Kodiak double throat patched??

Don't you guys just shoot 'em in the blinker before they have a chance to see the blue tape?
I think the column of air being pushed in front of the bullet blows the tape/balloon out of the way before the bullet gets to the muzzle.
Read it and weep, boys.

http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/article_detail.aspx?articles_id=579

http://home.adelphia.net/~geffert/deervis.htm

Do your homework before you get all pissy next time.

I wouldn't want a blue piece of tape on the muzzle of my rifle for reasons I described. There's better choices.

-jeff

Jeff,

At least the first article talks about ultra-violet blue, a wavelength out beyond the end of what humans can typically see. If you look at it you'll see that the clothes we wear may actually be glowing blue if we don't take certain precautions to avoid it. Of course, at the end, they sell a product which "helps" with that. I usually take sales pitches with a grain of salt. But heck, I'd rather miss an opportunity due to a deer seeing me than blow the end off the barrel - or worse.

There really is nothing like watching a fellow miss an opportunity virtually in his lap due to a fouled barrel/chamber/bolt to realize the value of a simple piece of tape over the muzzle. Who cares what color it is. Use orange for all I care if you are a felon and want to try to hide the fact that you are carrying a rifle.
Read it and weep, boys.

I wouldn't want a blue piece of tape on the muzzle of my rifle for reasons I described. There's better choices.

-jeff

I'd suggest green tape for you....it'll match your knowledge of all things hunting and shooting
I've had deer walk as close to me while wearing my blue/black plaid Filson Double Mackinaw, as when wearing full camo. Guess they were either color blind, didn't read the book, or didn't care there was a little more blue in their environment. Blue sky and water must drive the buggers nuts. Rocket scientists they ain't, and I doubt they can cipher the connection between a piece of blue tape and the toter's ill-will. Unless of course you're using your rifle for semaphoring.
I've had deer walk as close to me while wearing my blue/black plaid Filson Double Mackinaw,

Wht: they probably thought you was just a big bruise!grin
Scotch #88 - the electricians friend. Good in hot or freezing weather (in case you want to use it to wrap a wire joint).
Scotch #88 - the electricians friend.

Scotch 88 is the only electrical tape that our company buys,because it remains pliable and sticks even in low temperatures,unlike most cheaper tapes.
How's this for homework? Screwed, blued and tattooed....

[Linked Image]

Blue rifle, blue shirt, blue eyes, blue sky. Guess he didn't read the articles.

Knowing trumps guessing........
yes i put tape on depending on weather conditions I never noticed and loss of accuracy
Nice deer, mid August?

Which rifle is that one?
Read it and weep, boys.

-jeff

Are you really suggesting that a piece of tape that measures less than half an inch will make the difference between a deer spooking and not?

How sharp do you think their eyesight is?

Knowing trumps guessing........

+1
.... There's better choices.

-jeff

Of which you've offered none.
It is well-known that deer are scared of blue sky. Case closed.

As for the tape, I have used it in all sorts of hunting conditions, for all sorts of reasons, for keeping snow and dust out of the bore, for protecting the muzzle while in a saddle scabbard or when it is resting on the floor of a pickup, and for keeping the bore from rusting when hunting in really wet weather. It works for all those purposes, and beats balloons for some.

I have also tested it at the range and it has zero effect on accuracy, velocity or anything else. The only negative I have ever witnessed was when a piece of blown-off tape hit an African tracker standing maybe 5 feet to my right after I fired a .375 at a wildebeest. It stung, but since it didn't break the skin, the tracker survived.

Many of my rifles have a few inches of tape still wrapped around the barrel right behind the muzzle right now, where it rests patiently, awaiting hunting season.

Read it and weep, boys.

-jeff

crazy

I'll offer this Jeff-
I have a few acquaintances that can't wait to bless me with their recently aquired knowledge from the last magazine article they've read or by watching a TV program aimed at selling product. If they've read it or seen it, it must be gospel ---- it's no coincidence they're all pi$$ poor hunters.

More time doing, less time reading, talking and typing.
Jeff

I gotta agree with whats already been said about using blue tape.

an lets just say that these deer do see the tape, How many deer have you saw while hunting were watching you but just pulled back into the brush, waiting for you to pass on by? Even if deer can supposedly see the color "blue" it doesnt mean its goona spook them,

Im also thinkin that if that deer can see your tape, then it has allready got you pegged for what you are
What a tempest in a teapot ya'll have whipped up...

It's simple. Research seems to show that deer see blue well.

Therefore, on a thread about muzzle tape, when someone mentions using blue tape, it's worth considering that perhaps blue is not the ideal color to use.

(Imagine how obvious someone dressed in camo would be, to us, if they had blaze orange tape on the muzzle of their rifle, fer instance.. that orange dot would really stand out)

And that's it! Sheesh. Go tape your muzzles <g>.

-jeff

Deer also see sticks real well. I take it I should return my Mossy Oak? I know that bastard could see my Buick - but I still got him with it. Wonder if it was the wrong color to scare him off?

Considering blue is common enough (look up) I ain't fretting it.

The Cult of Blue tape is alive and well with pictures to hang, ain't no starvin' hunters because of said use. Now I do know plenty of starvin' guys who can't see game due to their nose buried in Field and Stream....
[Linked Image]

Looks like blue didn't spook this one.......
[Linked Image]

So these may still work??????
Only if they are going rrrreeeaaallllly fast...
We'll find out this week. 3100-3200fps(150gr./.300Whizzum)?????
Hopefully they land in the same spot.....
That must by why Barnes stopped making the XLC's......

[Linked Image]
Realtree is missing the boat with all those blue-eyed hunters. Camo contacts could save a hunt from certain doom....
I use the tape as well, just to keep snow/water out of the barrel...you can get into some thick stuff in the bush and heavy snowfalls.
BTW, I do put tape on my barrel. Keeps out the dust and twigs/bark/debris from the bushes.
Grinnin'....
What cartridges are you runnin' the titted shockers in?
257 Roy....
and I have been taping my barrels for as long as I can recall.
10-4, thought I remembered you shooting them out of something.
and I have been taping my barrels for as long as I can recall.

Been taping mine since High School...
Better safe than sorry.......
Got a PM into Rick to change one of my stock colors, being the greenhorn that I am, I foolishly ordered a blue mcswirly..
Schxzit...I put blue in my post and just spooked a couple deer.
I just spent the past 20 minutes sanding the bluish tint off a Leupold scope lense. Multicoat be damned........
Been doin' the same to my eyes....
Had to order me a set of these now that it is known to be fact from the expert that blue scares deer....

[Linked Image]
Does it hurt?

[Linked Image]

Maybe that's why the coyotes didn't come runnin' last Sunday?
(I'm dead sexy(bitches)....)
Geez WYO, you could have saved me some pretty painful scratching to my cornea's if you'd have come around sooner with these....
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Does it hurt?
Maybe that's why the coyotes didn't come runnin' last Sunday?
(Dead sexy bitches....)

Hell yeah it hurts.....But I'm a die hard deer hunter, no pain, no gain....
I feel your pain...
Mega monk just put the caliper to the blue part of my eyeball....
.635".......ouchy
Everybody needs to keep a lookout with the brown eye. Don't wanna get busted scanning for deer with the Blue peepers... cool

[Linked Image]

Obviously photoshopped...

or not.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
It actually enhances accuracy. The tape allows extra air pressure to build up ahead of the bullet in the barrel and when the pressure finally breaks the tape, the tape disk is launched staight ahead at high velocity and creates a momentary "flat spot" in the atmospheric meplat (that small cone of air pushed straight ahead by the bullet meplat) which the bullet itself then slips through in a more regulated manner, thereby negating the unevenness inherent in the microsphere at the crown normally induced by the slower expulsion of the air ahead of the bullet.

What he said.
smile
All right, I'm convinced.

Just ordered the full bedroom suite:

http://www.andoverdirect.com/pattern/Blue-Camouflage/Comforters-and-Bedding.html

And one of these:

http://www.workinggear.com/gc/files/rothco_products//ROT-6788_dt.jpg

And the search is on for the bluest blue camo rain shell I can find.

Makes all kinds of sense! After all, blue camo is the color of choice for every man jack around here, right?

-jeff

Rainbow camo....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1nRoOGwAvw
I have never done this with a hunting rifle, but have humped many-a-mile with 90MPH tape holding a condom over the muzzle of an M1!

Are you guys simply taking one piece of tape and folding it over the muzzle and then wrapping another around the barrel to keep in in place?
Originally Posted by SamOlson

That brought the kids in the room! grin
Are you guys simply taking one piece of tape and folding it over the muzzle and then wrapping another around the barrel to keep in in place?

I simply put a piece of scotch 88 about 1-1/2" long over the muzzle.With good tape,you don't need to wrap any around the barrel.
Just admit it, you asked a stupid question, and got b!tch slapped for it.
Pointer, I didn't ask a question.

Besides, I stand by my observation that in a world where a guy can get whatever color tape he chooses, choosing a color that the propellor-heads have found to be very visible to deer makes no sense.

I don't remember you offering anything intelligent to the discussion. Still don't. Good luck with that.

I kill deer at ranges more like bowhunters. Not because I want to, but because that's where they are. Thus things that the miscreants of the campfire like to tease me about, like being concerned about the sound of the safety, or about putting a (maybe) highly visible patch of color on my rifle barrel, matter to me on a practical, deer-killing level. Does blue tape work OK on a muzzle? I don't know. Maybe it does. But why on God's green earth would I choose that color?

Huh, pointer?

-jeff

taped brl

[Linked Image]
no change in impact point.
Pointer, I didn't ask a question.

But you should be, lots of them.....
I do, Steelhead, lots of them. I have nothing but respect for the good and experienced members of the 'fire. I have many, many mentors on this forum and ask them many, many questions.

Since we are trading observations about each other:

You should stop obsessing over me and be the good Campfire citizen that we'd all prefer...

-jeff
You gotta know the game to hate the player....
Keep hating then. Seems to be your gig.

My Indian name for you is:

Poops Where He Eats.

Can you figure out why?

-jeff
Swing batter......
Now you girls stop it or I'll make you go stand in the corner with a paper hat on your head.

WB.
blue eh? Wonder how this happened then?
[Linked Image]

You're a tool!
Paul,
Now WTF would you shoot a little thing like that?It's still got milk on it's lips for cryin out loud!

WB.
is that a price tag sticker still stuck to the call? grin
That deer was a BEAST.
That deer was a BEAST.

The sucker looks as big as a fuggin shetlin pony.That's bigger than a lot of mulies....

WB.
I do, Steelhead, lots of them. I have nothing but respect for the good and experienced members of the 'fire. I have many, many mentors on this forum and ask them many, many questions.

Since we are trading observations about each other:

You should stop obsessing over me and be the good Campfire citizen that we'd all prefer...

-jeff

wink
Nice buck. Cool rifle.What is the caliber and rig that Paul W was using there?
Jeff- You have to admit that you get a little 'Monkish' on some of the small details. No, you don't have to pick blue tape, but I can almost garantee you that it isn't going to affect you hunting success. But, you can use other colors, I use black. You mentioned bowhunting, I always fletch my arrows with a very bright color and yes I've used blue in the past. Never seemed to be a problem yet. IMO, you are worrying way too much about something that is very minor...

Maybe it's just the Sitka's that are colorblind...
[Linked Image]
I too, had a deer jump on the hood of a 56 Chevy two tone blue BelAir quite few yrs ago. Course if it didn't see the Chevy,it probably didn't see it was blue
Darn deer have taken out several squads with the red and blue lights flashin'...maybe it's an attractant...Let's do a study....grin...
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Tape is cheap.
NO tape is cheaper.. laugh
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
blue eh? Wonder how this happened then?
[Linked Image]
You're a tool!

I feel a little better now, one of the McSwirly's I ordered will look a lot like this or was your success due to the extremely dense cover? laugh

BTW Paul, that's a freaking HOG. Good work buddy, especially after handicapping yourself with that blue stock...
Pointer & Paul... SWEET Blactails, both of them. There ain't a prettier deer than a mature Blacktail buck. ~josh
Originally Posted by pointer
Jeff- You have to admit that you get a little 'Monkish' on some of the small details. Maybe it's just the Sitka's that are colorblind...
[Linked Image]

Pointer, fair enough... but to be clear here, all I did with my initial post on the subject was mention that research has shown that deer see blue very well, and therefore a guy might factor that into their thinking WRT what color they taped their muzzle.

I didn't say it was gonna make every deer in the county take off runnin'! :-)

That's gorgeous country you are hunting there. Words fail me as far as trying to explain how different that is, from where I hunt. Maybe I'll post a picture of the woods out past my back field. If I were hunting country like that I wouldn't spend one second worrying about the color of my muzzle or the sound of the safety on my rifle for that matter.

-jeff
If anyone is truly interested in how deer see, as evidenced by research, simply type "deer vision blue" into your Google window and spend some time reading the results.

Here's a nice link:

Here's a couple quotes from it:

"The colors of earthly objects are mostly browns, tans, greens and yellows. To an animal with dichromatic color vision, a sportsman wearing garments that strongly reflect short wavelength light would stand out against these backgrounds like a ripe red tomato on a green vine."

"Because of the deer's high relative sensitivity to short wavelength light, the presence of blue, violet and U-V components would make a garment stand out as both bright and colored against natural backgrounds. Those same components could be barely noticeable to humans." Dr. Jay Neitz "

I am confidant that if any rational person went and read some of those links, they'd have to agree that blue is a poor choice of color to intentionally put on the barrel of your rifle- especially if a guy hunts close quarters.

I'm equally confidant that the usual suspect will just make fun of this post rather than admit that I have a point.

:-)

-jeff
But realistically Jeff, how fine do you think deer vision is? Can you pick out a half inch dot in foliage 25 yards away?
Jeff-

I thought this was a worthwhile link too:

http://attainkarma.com/scotts/Picture4.jpg

That's amusing. smile
We were in the Spokane Dejavu several years ago. The lighting which was all 'black' light revealed a rather humorous stain about mid belly on my horny friend's seemingly clean shirt......

We all got a good laugh at his expense..

Forgot to add he was wearing a blue shirt.
Jeff, the color of tape I use on the end of a barrel would be about ZERO on my list of things that can and will spook game...
it's a Howa 1500 chambered in 264WM. Mickey Coleman put it together for me a couple of years ago. that was the first animal i shot with it. it has to be the best shooting rifle i own and i own quite a few rifles...
a member from this thread has won an award...... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/2022176/page/1#Post2022176
Dude.........

Truer words, likely never said.....
[bleep]....... I ain't laughed this hard in a LONG time......
It has been an entertaining read.... grin
Quit it you two, you're spooking me...
Congrats Jeff!! What does he get?
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
But realistically Jeff, how fine do you think deer vision is? Can you pick out a half inch dot in foliage 25 yards away?

Well, here's the thing, the muzzle would be about the worst possible place to put a dot of something highly visible... it moves around a lot, and it HAS to move in order to take the shot. Maybe it's my inexperience or general lack of woodsmanship, but, raising the rifle has been a difficult, long, heart-pounding affair on a couple bucks I've killed that knew something was there, but didn't know what it was. If- and I fully agree it's an IF- the blue dot is anything like a blaze orange dot would look to a human, then heck yeah I could see it being a problem.

This is not a hill I want to fight for. I really don't care about this. I made a simple observation that deer see blue really well and BAAM! Here comes the storm.

Carry on...

-jeff
it moves around a lot

It won't if you actually want to hit something. I wonder just what about a "moving blue dot" would scream DANGER to a deer? Nothing. There isn't anything that it would know as danger because of a moving blue dot.

Human form - yes, color NOPE.
Jeff, I'm not joining with those here picking a fight and trying to put you down... I hope you know that. But you've got to admit it's a stretch worrying about a 1/2" sized piece of blue tape on the end of a stainless barrel... laugh
As the originator of this thread I want to first thank everyone for convincing me that there will be no ill effects from protecting my bore by placing a piece of tape over the end, I'll probably use black electricians tape, as I have that in my pack anyway for taping my tag to the antlers.

Secondly I want to stick up for Jeff who is certainly a good sport, I would have lost my cool a long time ago. I haven't been here long, but from what I have read, Jeff post a lot and is a very enthusiastic student of the game. An internet forum like this is certainly a place for esoteric discussion, and I can see his point that in close quarters hunting you should take every detail into consideration regardless of how low the odds are that it will really effect anything. I have been a duck hunter my whole life and I am quite anay when it comes to drab colors and camo. Getting back to the tape, if I had my choice of colors, I wouldn't use white tape for the same reason Jeff states even though there probably isn't one chance in a hundred that it would really spook a deer, but if I have a choice of dark unobtrusive versus white, why take the chance.

I know a lot of this was just poking fun, but it seemed like a few of you were borderline mean spirited about it. I just wanted to say that I am one who appreciates Jeff's input as being thoughtful and eager to contribute on one hand and humbly defering to those he knows have greater experiance on the other.
There's the kind of post i can appreciate.
plus 1
I haven't been here long, but from what I have read, Jeff post a lot and is a very enthusiastic student of the game.

You shoulda stopped there, but that is some funny stuff.
Student... "An attentive observer" ...it's when he starts trying to be a voice of experience that his true color shows
Wel,Jeff does provide some entertainment now and then. but hell,if we didn't like him,he would have been run off long ago. He cang ive as good as he gets like most of us.
He can give as good as he gets like most of us.
That's funny....
Thanks guys. Appreciated as always. Sorry your thread got invaded by some of the more.... uncouth elements of the fire, Glacier George, and I appreciate the kind words. As you'll see as you are here longer, the insults and so on are standard operating procedure for a bunch of those guys. I don't take them seriously, nor does most of the Campfire.

Brad, I agree pretty much. Like I said, this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on! :-) I draw on my own limited experience in these matters and I think it's pretty non-typical of how much of the rest of the world hunts deer. Personally, knowing what *I* know about how the deer that *I* act, where *I* hunt them, I do obsess over details like that in the much the same way a bowhunter might, if'n he were the obsessing type that is <g>. Basically in a world where tape comes in many colors, when I'm at Tape Mart buying my supply of muzzle tape, I will choose something different than blue. Me. I. Myself.

I can't say for a fact but I'm guessing if I were hunting in more normal circumstances I wouldn't give much thought to it. Or even what I was wearing, within reason. But I'm not, I'm hunting a 15% success rate buck tag, of which I only get one, and where the deer killin' often happens at very intimate ranges... and yeah, if they see blue the way we see blaze orange I'd hate to have to give up my exact position to them by slowly raising a "bright" dot like that. Again because they are one short step away from me losing my shooting lane and once they know where you are, they are DAMN good at making an exit in a way that doesn't give you a shot...

What I wonder is how many guys will choose blue tape for their muzzle after reading this thread. Not many I guess.

-jeff
He cang ive as good as he gets like most of us.

At least Jeff didn't get upset and run away from the forum,only to return months later. grin
What I wonder is how many guys will choose blue tape for their muzzle after reading this thread. Not many I guess.

I'm buying a case. Just dropped 145.00 on blue spray paint for the truck as well, maybe my insurance premiums will go down as now they will see me and run the other direction.
Wondering what makes one uncouth...could it be knowing something about about a topic before they open their pie hole or maybe it's someone calling bull crap on someone who doesn't....
All I know is there is a difference between being able to see something and being afraid of something.
Originally Posted by teal
All I know is there is a difference between being able to see something and being afraid of something.

I'm afraid of sleestacks. I know it's silly, with how slow they move & all... but they are just so damn persistant!!
[Linked Image]
Now that's funny! I haven't seen them in a long time! laugh
I'd be pissing-my-pants scared if they were BLUE!
Wonder what color tape Marshal, Will and Holly would put on their barrels.....
boy, you guys are really dating yourself. I'm really impressed with skane's memory.-names and all, If I ever get on a game show and need a shout out for a trivia question, I know who I'll be calling.:)
Originally Posted by SKane
Wonder what color tape Marshal, Will and Holly would put on their barrels.....

How the hell do you remember their names? laugh

That was a great show, but my favorite was Jonny Quest!
My son has all the episodes on DVD! grin
Maybe he was tied up with blue tape and forced to watch in front of the TV? Boring winters here in the midwest...
can't ya just hear them creepy sleestaks in there slow motion pursuit through the caves?

I't a damn good thing they are so slow. not sure how you spell that sleestak hisss they do, hhchhchhhchhchhhchhh! menacing green sleestack arms out... trying to grab sweet Holly....

b a s t a r d s!!

I've got a damn good sleestak cave gun though, Marlin 1895M, short little lever action thunderstick... Boooom!! - Booom!! - Booom!!

take that sleestaks!!

I can't believe I just actually rationally thought out which of my personal rifles would be best suited for chasing sleestaks through caves....

I think I need another day off, weekend obviously wasn't long enough.

I was thinking the same thing, but I would go with my 444P! I wouldn't want to ruin too much meat! grin
taste like chicken?

Hmm, I'm not affraid any more now that I'm thinking of them as food.

Thanks Guys!!

I think....
As slow as they moved, I'd opt for a cue ball in a sock - a blue sock of course....(Wanna keep it relevant to the thread)
Dude, now you sound like J.O.!

Looks like they'd taste like a dirty dog chew-toy I'll wager!
If they were a truck, what truck would they be? Another pearl...
Can't be a blue truck....tho...

George
I never cared for that Chaka monkey boy either. I don't trust him.

You see how he looks at Holly? It aint right you know...

I'm goin home, later.

you bunch of blue tape goof balls.
Pearl?
I'd say the Ayatollah has dropped another drain baby..
JO--I believe it was Glacier John that started this thread. NOT
Glacier George. laugh laugh laugh

George
If they were a truck, what truck would they be? Another pearl...

What, the sleestacks?

(Or is it sleazy stacks?) confused
This thread is too funny, is there a full moon out or something?

Glacier George, I'm just curious...
I think that the concern over dirt or mud in the muzzle was probably addressed by the Mauser Bros and others who made weapons for use in war years ago..

Cleaning rod attached to the rifle and cleaning kit given the soldiers...and some training on where to and not to put the rifle's muzzle..:0..and some physical training so when they had to hit the ground, their weapon was protected best they could.

Probably didn't help all the time..Not many wartime stats on damage caused by mud in the barrels from WWl or WWll etc..:)

The tape is a cheap insurance for those who fall down alot or cannot keep track of their rifle when traveling in rough country..:)
I personally don't and never needed to but some do..:) Jim
You're the guy who's never fallen down while hunting, right?

Tells me all I need to know...

DN
Originally Posted by muledeer

Tells me all I need to know...

DN

but in your last statement...you may be assuming you have the story and know me when ya don't..:) Jim

And it doesn't rain or snow when you hunt,and pine needles never fall in your barrel either. grin
of course it does..re read my last post..:) Jim
I only HOPE to be as perfect as Jim in Organ.
and who are you calling Art, jimbo?
of course it does..re read my last post..:) Jim

There is no mention of rain or snow in your last two posts.
and who are you calling Art, jimbo?

I might be flattered, or perhaps just confused.

But will certainly never aspire to, let alone attain, the perfection we have been granted a glimpse of...

DN

ps...tough to get "Art" out of a "D" and an "N"...
usually i tape.

i don't know what earworms are, but i can say the same of ladybugs. a passel of 'em ganged into a club member's rifle barrel when he snoozed on a warm day this season. good thing he saw one coming out of the muzzle when he woke up, 'cause if mr. buck had shown up about that time ...
Wonder if deer can see red with black spots as well as they see blue dots...
LMFAO!!!!
Check JO's last post!!!

George
stubble yumper..:)
here's what ya missed:

"Yes that's correct...insofar as it concerns compromising my weapon..:)"
Tape if ya feel the need to..I don't..:) but I think we have had this conversation before..:) Jim
I have a blue hooded sweat jacket I wear in cold weather, in GA that is below 40 degrees. I would estimate I've killed over 30 deer in the last ten years with that same old blue sweat jacket.

Back in the 70's when most folks wore Army surplus BDUs, I had a buddy that wore blue jeans and a grey sweat shirt. I've seen him kill many deer that way.

I'm of the opinion that scent, and movement are more detrimental than color.

Just my opinion.
Might as well hammer a few nails at once with this post....Good thing that this buck didn't get the memo about my blue eyes, blue hat, and blue jeans. He was probably too busy laffin' that I even had the nerve to be watching him with an empty chamber, and a 223AI.....Have to admit though, that the tape was black.

[Linked Image]

Glacier JOHN is an astute judge of character and a class act, and and I'm bummed I messed up his screen name earlier when i was acknowledging that. Hats off to him for calling it like it is, about 3 pages ago.

Some of you REALLY need tape your muzzles. Use whatever color you prefer but... tape your dang muzzles. Do it now. Do it often.

wink

-jeff

Student... "An attentive observer" ...Shhhhhhh
Dvdegeoge: Tape. Muzzle. Now. Please.

Use blue if you must. You and your buds are just embarrassing yourselves at this point. And you don't even know WHY. Do you?

Actually, keep on talkin'. All of you (the vocal, fight-starting minority). Suits me just fine, believe me.

-jeff

Dude,you and you alone brought this crap storm on....or should I say you,your ignorance and insistence upon displaying it....shhhhhh
You talk like a man with a paper a$$hole...
Tape your muzzles. I'm being nicer than you guys deserve. Do it now, do it often, but please... Just Do It.

-jeff
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [Linked Image]
Do you see any deer in that picture?

I rest my case.

-jeff
You know JO, I find it both ironic and humorous how offended and defensive you become, when quite honestly you leave yourself wide open by continuously interjecting yourself in numerous subjects and topics which clearly would benefit from your non participation as you simply haven't the experience nor first clue.

That is one of the reason why you get so much flack and guys taking issue with you....

I understand you're new to this endeavor and are quite excited and enthusiastic, but really dude,.... sit back and relax.
I also dig a guy talking about how he doesn't have the experience others do and when told he is fussing over something so minor, gets all bent about it.

All I have seen is several tons of game posted by people saying "blue tape ain't no thing" and the guy with 64 ounces to his credit is getting pissed that his POV isn't given more credit when it is contradictory to the guy with the tonnage.
Originally Posted by FOsteology
You know JO, I find it both ironic and humorous how offended and defensive you become, when quite honestly you leave yourself wide open by continuously interjecting yourself in numerous subjects and topics which clearly would benefit from your non participation as you simply haven't the experience nor first clue.

That is one of the reason why you get so much flack and guys taking issue with you....

I understand you're new to this endeavor and are quite excited and enthusiastic, but really dude,.... sit back and relax.

I applaud your post, I truly do. I would have just called him a dumb [bleep] and moved on, but I'm sure most appreciate the PC version.

teal,

Regarding your signature, just remember this: It isn't stalking if you really love her.

Who defines "love" I mean really? (grin)

This is one funny thread...but when I saw the sleestacks and SKane remembered their names...I friggin lost it. Damn, that takes me back a few years.
just what the heck is a sleestack? I saw the pic but just what are they sposed to be?
Since this is a six page thread about taping muzzles I might as well throw in my two cents. I don't use tape but buy the right size balloon to fit over the muzzle. I just carry some extras in my pack. I think both work fine, but the balloon might give a more waterproof seal. I have also noticed zero change in impact when shooting through the balloon. By the way, I use black balloons. grin
I bet you do.
Muddy B, they are these lizard dudes from a show us middle-aged guys used to watch called "Land of the Lost". They lurched after you in the caves, and you threw exploding crystals at them to win the day. It was all very exciting.

It's just one more example of how much cooler us middle aged guys are than you young bucks!

-------------

It is really amusing to me that the usual crew of 8 or 10 guys who seem to draw sustenance from trashing the place think I'm bent out of shape about this. Bent? I'm laughing at you guys.

Worst case for me is that perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps deer don't see blue, perhaps a blue muzzle tip wouldn't matter.

Worst case for the guys I'm talking about is another display of some pretty pathetic behavior, and you guys put it on full display, once again, on this thread. What a crew. No need to name names because it's easy to see who I mean, and nothing we haven't all seen before.

My advice, and I know this will go right over your heads but here it is anyway: grow up and learn how to have a civil debate. Failing that, put some tape on your muzzle.

-jeff

wink
Yep, realtor work must take smarts......
I'm wrong, perhaps deer don't see blue, perhaps a blue muzzle tip wouldn't matter.

Ya got one thing right, and almost got your signature line right sans a couple mixed up words...
"I want to be the dog my man thinks I am "
I'm being nicer than you guys deserve.

-jeff

Oh, I am so afeared........

Originally Posted by FOsteology

I applaud your post, I truly do. I would have just called him a dumb [bleep] and moved on, but I'm sure most appreciate the PC version.

I'm [bleep]' rollin'........
Muddy B, they are these lizard dudes from a show us middle-aged guys used to watch called "Land of the Lost". They lurched after you in the caves, and you threw exploding crystals at them to win the day. It was all very exciting.

It's just one more example of how much cooler us middle aged guys are than you young bucks!

-------------

It is really amusing to me that the usual crew of 8 or 10 guys who seem to draw sustenance from trashing the place think I'm bent out of shape about this. Bent? I'm laughing at you guys.

Worst case for me is that perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps deer don't see blue, perhaps a blue muzzle tip wouldn't matter.

Worst case for the guys I'm talking about is another display of some pretty pathetic behavior, and you guys put it on full display, once again, on this thread. What a crew. No need to name names because it's easy to see who I mean, and nothing we haven't all seen before.

My advice, and I know this will go right over your heads but here it is anyway: grow up and learn how to have a civil debate. Failing that, put some tape on your muzzle.

-jeff

Here's a suggestion, in return.

How about getting out there and doing something first hand, instead of asking everyone and their brother about it, then coming up with dumbphuck opinions on schit you know nothing about?

Just a thought....
Ya know, Jeff dives in deeper than his experience allows at times, no doubt. He's quirky, no doubt. But to me he's obviously not mean-spirited which is more than can be said for his "more experienced" critics.

A guy can be totally "right" and totally "wrong" at the same time.

Just a thought...

Can anybody tell me what the hell Tom T. Hall was smoking when he wrote the song "sneaky snake"?

and why does that [bleep] snake want my root beer?

that's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

he goes wigglin & a squirmin & he's gonna get my damn root beer... yeah, right.

it would take a [bleep] warehouse to hold everything Tom T Hall doesn't know about snakes & root beer...

There, I said it. Been waiting over 30 years to unload that one...

feels good to get that off my chest.

LOL I aint even goona ask about that song. gotta hunch it was around 40 years before me.
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Since this is a six page thread about taping muzzles I might as well throw in my two cents. I don't use tape but buy the right size balloon to fit over the muzzle. I just carry some extras in my pack. I think both work fine, but the balloon might give a more waterproof seal. I have also noticed zero change in impact when shooting through the balloon. By the way, I use black balloons. grin

I tried the tape ... standard sized black electrical tape ... it worked ok, but I think it was too narrow a roll, as it barely covered the muzzle, and I had to use a few extra strips over/around the bbl to hold it in place ... looked like a damn elec. tape cast when I was done.

So, I started using either those little 'finger condoms' or a finger cut off of a standard latex glove ... just pull one of those over the muzzle, wrap a piece of elec. tape around it to hold it on well, and that's it ...

another nice thing about the 'balloon' method is that no tape adhesive residue ends up on the crown where it's a pita to clean it off ... not a big deal, but it works for me ... (grin)

as far as the color selection, I'll let you ladies continue to hash that one out ...
Mornin Bogger,

It's just the most off topic rediculous thing that I could think of. But it is a real song, a terribly stupid song that haunts my soul...

Naw, not really, but it is pretty silly.

I need a cup of coffee.
Yep,
"he doesn't have any arms or legs; you cannot see his ears"

Tom T. sure knew his schitt.

The Blue Man Group; TFF

J.O. That Tom T., look him up he knows a thing or two about snakes, beer and Tyson chicken. Might even know about blue tape; probably on the internet somewhere.
Standard latex gloves come in blue.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Mornin Bogger,

It's just the most off topic rediculous thing that I could think of.

*LMAO*
Well, you hit one about 450ft. to straight away center.
Congrats! You're a beauty Dave.....
Originally Posted by Brad
Ya know, Jeff dives in deeper than his experience allows at times, no doubt. He's quirky, no doubt. But to me he's obviously not mean-spirited which is more than can be said for his "more experienced" critics.

A guy can be totally "right" and totally "wrong" at the same time.

Just a thought...

I would have to agree.
Jeff likes to ask questions, and as a relative 'Noob' myself, I can sure understand that.
I am learning more about some of his 'critics', and what I am seeing does not impress me.
What some aren't seeing is that this place used to be where those who know posted and those who didn't know listened. They would ask a question and then not quibble with the answer recieved. (Asked for more clarification is not quibbling). If you didn't know and asked an honest question you got an answer.
If you said something ignorant or stupid, slack was cut the first couple of times, if you said something stupid or ignorant 3800 times - your azz was called to the carpet.

It seems to have reversed now. You have people who don't know doing all the talking and complaining when they receive an answer they don't like. There is the rub, it may be a nice even rub but it is there none the less.

The issue people have with what is going on here stems from that.

I think you make a good point, Teal.

I just think that some people(I don't include you in this) get a little carried away with the rejoinders, as it were.

For the record I do think some of the questions JO ask are a bit out there, but really, does that matter so much?
For the record I do think some of the questions JO ask are a bit out there, but really, does that matter so much?

That's the key right there.

Whether some blue on the end of a barrel makes a difference or not, I can't say. From my personal experience, (which I'm sure doesn't mean Jack to some of you) I believe turkeys were seeing the small chrome ring from the choke tube I was using at the time. After I scuffed it up and colored it with a black Sharpie I feel they weren't seeing "me" as much. Then again maybe it was a coincidence. Either way, I eliminated that small variable from my set-up and gained a fraction more confidence.

Well put Teal.........many times less is more and the knowledge that has been in heaps on this site for the willing has been overshadowed by the less-than-stellar responses by those that would serve themselves and the board better by listening, rather than posting.
Are they questions or are they provocations? The 223 thread comes to mind.

I've never seen any rejoinders calling folks "wankers" or referring to someone's mother as a lady of the night, of course I'm new myself without the post count.

If I were to ask a question I would listen and perhaps TRY what I know nothing about instead of badgering or insisting I know something I don't.
[bleep] who cares..........
I pretty much agree with Teal. It has been found that it is hard for a fellow to listen with his mouth open. Seems to be a lot of :
You are too old to know what you are talking about.
You are too young to know what you are talking aout.
I never shot an elk but---------------
I never used that bullet but------------------
I have never used a magnum caliber cartridge but--------
I only use magnum caliber cartridges,but-------
I have never hunted the west, but---------
I have never hunted in the east, but------------------
I have never owned a( insert rifle brand here or scope) but--.

Probably the worse thing you can start a thread with now days is; I need advice. You can sure get alot of it.
To keep things simple, I follow a little rule........If I've BTDT and have an opinion, backed up with experience, I share it with others........If I haven't, I let those that have speak and I listen.

It's a gameplan some would be better served trying to adhere to.
Saddlesore - that doesn't bother most nearly as much as someone saying X is important. Only to have multiple instances and pictures of proof that it isn't. Guy still insists that X is important. No pic/proof or anything other that links to a study that really doesn't prove anything.

That persistant ignorance drives people to simply go treat that poster in the way they do.

If you can't make the connection between being able to see a color and that not meaning jack schitt, then you shouldn't be arguing with those who easily show you it isn't an issue.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
[bleep] who cares..........

+1
I know exactly what this post needs...

I would like it if everyone reading this post would open your minds & let what I'm about to say really, really soak in.

ready?

ok, deep breath, here goes....

I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse

With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotepotenuse

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral

He is the very model of a modern Major-General

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous

I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies
I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore

And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinapinafore

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin"
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a javelin
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat"

When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy
You'll say a better Major-General had never sat a gee

You'll say a better Major-General had never sat a sat a gee

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral

But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral

There ya go, now try getting that out of your head for the rest of the day.

smile

oh $hit I crack me up... smile
You're crackin' me up too! laugh
I always enjoyed Gilbert & Sullivan too..:)Jim
Here's the thing that many of the "critics" aren't getting.

I make no claims to being an expert hunter in general. I'm pretty good at hunting blacktail deer, how and where I hunt them. I AM EXPERIENCED AT THAT!! And I AM speaking from my experience.

This is my post that "in theory" started all this. Read this, and then realize just how ridiculous some of you have behaved:

----------------------
"handwerk, don't deer see blue very well? Seems I read that once in a story about why they DON'T see blaze orange well.

-jeff"
-----------------------------

For the comprehension-challenged among you, I was speaking directly to my experience; HOW I hunt, and WHERE I hunt. I was as clear as can be about that. And I stand 100% behind the fact that in my experience, hunting blacktail deer in my spots, I sure don't want what is perhaps the MOST VISIBLE COLOR THERE IS to a deer, on a part of my equipment that has to move, what, 4 feet (from a muzzle down position to a shouldered position), in order to get the shot. Maybe it wouldn't matter- but I think it might and you know what?

Tape comes in different colors. And it all costs the same.

I think that the situations that many of you hunt, you could paint yourselves red white and blue with streamers coming out your ears and bells around your ankles and it wouldn't matter one bit. If you are killing deer from a stand 300 yards away, then obviously a bit of tape on your muzzle is meaningless. But that is YOUR reality, not mine. I am speaking directly to the experience I HAVE, in killing WAY more blacktail deer than the statistics say I ever should have, in the time I've been hunting them. I am doing a whole lot of things right in the woods. I am a damn good blacktail hunter and if it's because I sweat the details then so be it.

But you guys who blew this thread up know that. You blew this one up for the reasons you blow any thread up- to call names, act superior, and generally bring the whole place down. Really, you should be ashamed of your behavior, but I won't hold my breath.

I am laughing at the "wankers" (you know who you are) because you actually think you WON this fiasco when in reality, you just educated a bunch more people about the quality of your character, while I made yet more friends when they PM'd me to also laugh at you.

Keep it up guys, keep it up.

-jeff

Jeff
Are you after, a round two.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Jeff

Apparently, you're hoping he is. Some people in this thread have really surprised me.
I made yet more friends when they PM'd me to also laugh at you.

What the hell is this - the 3rd grade? Bob doesn't like me but Joe does, he is my best friend now...

laffin...

The most visible color to deer is also one of the most abundant - that is the point most were and are trying to make to you. If you bothered to open your mind long enough to learn instead of post you would have seen that people were trying to teach you something.

The fact deer can see something doesn't mean it precludes you from being successful. Much like a deer being able to see my Buick doesn't mean he will get the hell out of the way.

Call it what you want but the fact remains you posted something that isn't all that logical - worrying about the color blue and was called on it. That's all that happened.

You can get all defensive or not, doesn't matter because you don't have the reputation around here as a person who has BT/DT and whose opinion should be counted on such things.

Go ahead and call me a loser like you have others, but I stand on my own reputation I built here over the last 5 years not 10 months.

When someone asks "What stinks" and everyone in the room points at the same guy? I know who farted.
Have you ever shot any deer with anything BLUE about your premise? (Yes, and not 300 yds. away) It's not about being an expert, but having experience.

Speculation is what it is.

If you're on the defense you must have been on the offense at one time.
I've never shot a deer (gun or bow) over 50 yards. Used blue fletching and wore blue jeans - MY EXPERIENCE.

Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Jeff

Apparently, you're hoping he is.

No not really
HD
I just attribute it to JO being a hybrid... village idiot and troll all rolled into one....he loves this crap and thats why he keeps posting his horse schit.....
Can anybody tell me what the hell Tom T. Hall was smoking when he wrote the song "sneaky snake"?

and why does that [bleep] snake want my root beer?

that's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

he goes wigglin & a squirmin & he's gonna get my damn root beer... yeah, right.

it would take a [bleep] warehouse to hold everything Tom T Hall doesn't know about snakes & root beer...

There, I said it. Been waiting over 30 years to unload that one...

feels good to get that off my chest.

That was one of my favorite songs as a kid ... and many years later ... I also don't know what it means .... bet I haven't heard it for nearly 30 years though!
hey!! I just found a beer bottle cap in my left shirt pocket... hmm, bud, don't remember the last time i had a bottle of bud....

Yeah ole Tom T is a crazy son-o-gun!!

I loved that song when I was a kid too...

man, kids sure are dumb huh? shocked smile

we had ice cream trucks back then too. sound of an ice cream truck could put a kid into a frantic panic... MOM!!!!! I need a nickle!!! Mom!!!!!! Mom!!!!!!!

LOL!!

And for the record I never bothered with his stupid posts, let him slide on the Carry hot or not thread...But the .223 thread was just a call to rake crap and start horse chit...he likes to be the center of attention even if it requires retarded logic to become such, I swear he's part teenage girl with the secret friends ,PM's and pre-pubescent behavior....
Anyone got a link to the .223 thread for a newbie??
we had ice cream trucks back then too. sound of an ice cream truck could put a kid into a frantic panic... MOM!!!!! I need a nickle!!! Mom!!!!!! Mom!!!!!!!

LOL!!

I drove one of those trucks, one summer between college semesters...

It wasn't blue, as I recall...

DN
Originally Posted by Kelk
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/1919050/page/2#Post1919050
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by Kelk
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/1919050/page/2#Post1919050

Thanks. Time to do some reading and research.
Add this one to the fray....

why would anyone use a 223 for deer with all the other cartridges out there
Ah Jeff, we are talking about something completely differnt now. The part of the thread you are talking about is long gone. Probably should start a new thread.
NorthernDave,I am way below any comprehension of you post.It would make my head hurt to dwell on it.
Jeff, the reason that you've simply rubbed people the wrong way, is due to your interjections into conversations about subjects that you truly don't know anything about by your own admittance........When given some real world facts, you discard those to trump your own theories that are unproven.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and that's what makes this forum and many more like it so appealing.......different opinions and experiences to come to either similiar or dissimiliar conclusions, but most are based around something someone has tried, not merely a theory.

It's kinda like logging onto Newegg.com and wanting to buy a monitor.......The last thing I want is to be seeing review after a review of a product from someone who has never used the one I'm wanting to purchase, and says so in their review. This same person carries on about another monitor and how it is superior, yet has never even so much as turned on the one I'm wanting to purchase.........are ya starting to see what I'm talking about???

I've yet to kill anything with a Barnes X bullet, but intend to this spring for bear. I've been a diehard Partition fan for 20 years plus and have never had a failure.....With that said, I've done a lot of listening and watching of folks who have used the "X" with success and have seen its virtues in smaller weight bullets, prove to me that it's worth giving a try. I never once put the badmouth on it, simply because I'd never seen it used, or used one myself.
How did I come to this conclusion to switch from a proven performer in the partition to an "X" this season??? Simple; I simply listened, learned, and watched picture after picture of guys who use them on a steady diet to take game that ranged from whitetails to brown bear, in calibers smaller, lighter, and pushing less bullet weight than I've been using.
With what I've seen, it's hardly a gamble and an opportunity to try something new that someone else had to learn, just as I'm doing now.

You can get defensive and upset about how this thread has turned, but you could also step back for a minute and perhaps realize why it did...........It's an easy process that one does not need to have even that good of reading "comphrension" to understand, mixed with some humility.

Just so you're not feeling like your point is falling on deaf ears; I've hunted the majority of my adult life in the same type of vegetation that you hunt now.......Yeah...It's dense and wet, but not nearly as critical as you would make it out to be......BTDT.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Ah Jeff, we are talking about something completely differnt now. The part of the thread you are talking about is long gone. Probably should start a new thread.
NorthernDave,I am way below any comprehension of you post.It would make my head hurt to dwell on it.

smile saddlesore, don't even try. It's a trap!! smile

an evil plan to make people sit & ponder... "what is he saying with this? What's the message? Who is he talking to? What does it mean?"

trust me, when you see me sling some off the wall totally unrelated crap into a post that's gone south... It's nothing more than a derailment attempt, a diversion that hopefully fizzles a thread when someone's up against the ropes. smile

Like tossing in a smoke bomb so someone can escape....

I do it every now & then when someone's up against the ropes but won't give up the fight...

but when it works, when I spout some clownish off the wall loonacy & the jabs stop rolling in... the guy against the ropes can't stir it up again... he's gotta let it go... let it slide off the page...

otherwise it don't work see?

wink
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I just attribute it to JO being a hybrid... village idiot and troll all rolled into one....he loves this crap and thats why he keeps posting his horse schit.....

He ain't got schit else to do......

The real estate market sucks, and it's winter out there.....
Hi Matt,

Fair enough. I quoted my original post because that's what originally got me "jumped" and I would hope we can all agree, after this stupid crapstorm, that what I posted hardly rated the reaction it got.

Here's the truth, plain and simple. There are about a half-dozen guys on the Campfire who are bullies. Most of them are on this thread and it's obvious who they are. They run in a pack. They may be experienced bullies, but they are bullies, and love nothing more than to dogpile people. It gives them a lot of pleasure. Most of them showed up on this thread with their profanities and homosexual innuendos and so on. It's just gross.

To be clear, Matt, I don't count you in that crowd and I appreciate your comments, below. I don't deny there's some truth there. I've said a whole lot of true things, too.

-jeff

Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Jeff, the reason that you've simply rubbed people the wrong way, is due to your interjections into conversations about subjects that you truly don't know anything about by your own admittance........When given some real world facts, you discard those to trump your own theories that are unproven.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and that's what makes this forum and many more like it so appealing.......different opinions and experiences to come to either similiar or dissimiliar conclusions, but most are based around something someone has tried, not merely a theory.

It's kinda like logging onto Newegg.com and wanting to buy a monitor.......The last thing I want is to be seeing review after a review of a product from someone who has never used the one I'm wanting to purchase, and says so in their review. This same person carries on about another monitor and how it is superior, yet has never even so much as turned on the one I'm wanting to purchase.........are ya starting to see what I'm talking about???

I've yet to kill anything with a Barnes X bullet, but intend to this spring for bear. I've been a diehard Partition fan for 20 years plus and have never had a failure.....With that said, I've done a lot of listening and watching of folks who have used the "X" with success and have seen its virtues in smaller weight bullets, prove to me that it's worth giving a try. I never once put the badmouth on it, simply because I'd never seen it used, or used one myself.
How did I come to this conclusion to switch from a proven performer in the partition to an "X" this season??? Simple; I simply listened, learned, and watched picture after picture of guys who use them on a steady diet to take game that ranged from whitetails to brown bear, in calibers smaller, lighter, and pushing less bullet weight than I've been using.
With what I've seen, it's hardly a gamble and an opportunity to try something new that someone else had to learn, just as I'm doing now.

You can get defensive and upset about how this thread has turned, but you could also step back for a minute and perhaps realize why it did...........It's an easy process that one does not need to have even that good of reading "comphrension" to understand, mixed with some humility.

Just so you're not feeling like your point is falling on deaf ears; I've hunted the majority of my adult life in the same type of vegetation that you hunt now.......Yeah...It's dense and wet, but not nearly as critical as you would make it out to be......BTDT.

[Linked Image]

Just for the record, we were about 25 ft from this deer when the trigger was pulled. BTW, he cycled a round too.....
And so speaks the self proclaimed " master blacktail hunter " those in the know realize you are an inexperienced pretender,those that can't figure that out,well they can keep PMing with you.....Every time someone gives you a chance for a graceful exit you just keep your yapper going......Dude time to get off this ride before you puke on yourself any more
A taped muzzle is good insurance.
This guy's screwed...
I wish to apologize for the antagonistic tone of my last post.

I'm experiencing a very unpleasant allergic reaction right now that involves my eyes, mouth, and Prednisone. It's no excuse, but it has me living outside my usual cheerful mood and I feel, upon review, that I have been a partner in the "heat" that has been generated in this discussion recently.

I'd rather be part of the "light" than the heat, and again, I apologize.

Perhaps we can manage to have a civil discussion sometime about "How do deer see the color blue". It's an interesting question.

I think I've adequatly defended the concept that a blue muzzle tip could be a problem for some of us, so, I'm going to bow out now.

-jeff

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
The deer were both shot under 100 yds.. One from a 45 Colt at 75 (didn't get a pic of the doe shot at 30 that same morning), the other running right at me with a 338 (scared out of his wits mulie. Mulie Blue).
Pigs can't see worth a chit, but I'll bet they see blue!

Bully!
electrical tape, spare wrapped round' the tube
I've drilled & tapped all of my .30's for 3/8" bolts that I screw in the ends & torque to 52 ft lbs.

my 1/4 bore & smaller get a 1/4-20 bolt torqued to 38 ft lbs.

my shotguns are threaded on the OD with NPT & I use a black iron pipe cap.

I don't know yet how any of this effects accuracy because I never see any damn animals to shoot... and i don't want to waste my bullets on "target practice" Phhfftthht!!

But I damn sure aint getting no mud, bugs, water, ice, snow, sticks, pine needles or anything else dangerous in my barrels.
I always tape my muzzle, but, uh, with black electrical tape, because I always have black around!
smirk
because I never see any damn animals to shoot

put yer glasses on old timer. it'll probly help a lil
[/quote]

put yer glasses on old timer. it'll probly help a lil [/quote]

Damn kids these days!
grin grin
And do you all tape your muzzle with a single thickness of tape across the muzzle and then a wrap around the barrel covering the ends of the first piece, or some other technique?
Laughin!!

smile
In addition to Gorilla tape, I have found black balloons to work really well. Better, in fact than any tape besides gorrilla tape. Some have said that condoms are a good substitute, but if you get home from a long hunting trip out of state and you have extra's of these in your bag when your wife unpacks or gets laundry out..... Well... ya got some 'splainin to do smile Not worth the risk as I see it.
Somebody explain ROYGBIV to him.

As admited by him, deer see ultra violet, which is to the high end of violet in the electromagnetic spectrum. To see blue, theyed have to see indigo and violet as well.

Blue is how ultra violet appears to a deer (in theory, we haven't asked a deer yet to find out exactly what he sees).

Anyhow, seeing a color or not, its movement that deer's eyes are made to pick up on; they're gonna see you dancin around wether you're black-n-white, blue, or any other [bleep] color.

Not that it'll change his op. He read something in a magazine somewhere, it must be proven scientific fact.

-quoted, me from ARAIG
You know of course how easy it is to scream at someone over the rarified air of the internet, it ain't always easy over a real campfire. There you tend to find commonality and its easier to see the real enthusiasm and good in all folks (thanks to someone here pointing out this obvious fact to me).

Its also alot easier to argue than accept experience.......

Charlie

I wish to apologize for the antagonistic tone of my last post.

I'm experiencing a very unpleasant allergic reaction right now that involves my eyes, mouth, and Prednisone. It's no excuse, but it has me living outside my usual cheerful mood and I feel, upon review, that I have been a partner in the "heat" that has been generated in this discussion recently.

I'd rather be part of the "light" than the heat, and again, I apologize.

Should of stopped right there....
Perhaps we can manage to have a civil discussion sometime about "How do deer see the color blue". It's an interesting question.
It's really not intresting and the point is moot....
I think I've adequatly defended the concept that a blue muzzle tip could be a problem for some of us, so, I'm going to bow out now.
In typical fashion ya gotta get the last word in even though those that have BTDT showed superfluous pictures and accounts that it aint worth sweating.....the "bow out now" part is very good though.
Originally Posted by safariman
In addition to Gorilla tape, I have found black balloons to work really well. Better, in fact than any tape besides gorrilla tape. Some have said that condoms are a good substitute, but if you get home from a long hunting trip out of state and you have extra's of these in your bag when your wife unpacks or gets laundry out..... Well... ya got some 'splainin to do smile Not worth the risk as I see it.

That plus the spermicide shows up blue to a deers eyes, or so I read somewhere....grin...

(Do you guy use plain or ribbed?)
french tickler for me.

really helps break up the silhouette of the muzzle. It's a huge advantage IMHO.
Seems the "blue tape" comment was just the tip of the iceberg. It lit the fuse, but the pipe bomb was already made and waiting.

There are some here who harbor resentment in regards to the decline of what were once two great forums("hunting rifles and "custom rifles"). They've now been reduced to a bunch of guys with little knowledge asking a bunch of questions "this one or that one". A lot of the guys answering the questions have little, if any more knowledge than the poster. Hard to describe, to some, but others know EXACTLY what I mean. It just isn't what it used to be IMO. My interest has been largely lost, as of late, as I find very little here to be either informative, or interesting any more. That did not used to be the case. Methinks I'm not alone.

Anyway, one thing is for sure, there will be a TON of pics in the upcoming year of guys with blue tape on their barrels and dead critters lying next to them.......
Originally Posted by g5m
And do you all tape your muzzle with a single thickness of tape across the muzzle and then a wrap around the barrel covering the ends of the first piece, or some other technique?

I've always considered that method, with the electrical tape I use, is somewhat akin to plugging the barrel. Even if it doesn't cause a blow up like ice in the barrel might, I figure it might change things enough to change downrange ballistics.

My method is to use a small square, folded over on one side, and cover just the muzzle. The folded edge give me something to grab to remove it with if desired.

The only problem I have is the electricians tape doesn't adhere well to cold metal. I've been toying with using a different type of tape or wrapping tape around the barrel at the muzzle and using a second piece to cover the muzzle with enough overlap to adhere to the tape I wrapped around the barrel.

I use black tape but red, blue, green, I wouldn't care. Its just that I already have black.
"the other running right at me with a 338"

If I had a deer running right at me with a 338, I'd be pretty scared! grin
I was, but when he saw the blue jeans he had a hole blow out between his shoulder blades!

Sorry, I know this crap is getting old!
Yes, and sometimes I'd like to put a piece over my wifes muzzle.
I use the single piece across the muzzle and the one wrapped around the barrel covering the ends. I mighted have tested 15-20 yrs ago and saw no difference of POI. I have noticed that it is always gone across the muzzle with the tape around the barel still there, when I am looking at a dead elk on the ground.
Once it gets cold, it' is pretty brittle and I would think it just breaks off rather than stretches and tears.
If you use a ribbed Trojan instead of tape, does it act like a faster twist barrel? If true I can run some heavies outta the Coyote. smile
I think that would be "threaded" not "ribbed"

interesting, my coyote too could use a little more twist....
If they were threaded, you would have to find the proper twisted....well, forget it....
I know I know... don't want to strip the threads....

shocked

smile
If you are stripping the threads on a Trojan you are pushing 'em toooooo quick.....grin
Red tape sucks too...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
There are some here who harbor resentment in regards to the decline of what were once two great forums("hunting rifles and "custom rifles"). They've now been reduced to a bunch of guys with little knowledge asking a bunch of questions "this one or that one". A lot of the guys answering the questions have little, if any more knowledge than the poster. Hard to describe, to some, but others know EXACTLY what I mean. It just isn't what it used to be IMO. My interest has been largely lost, as of late, as I find very little here to be either informative, or interesting any more. That did not used to be the case. Methinks I'm not alone.

I think there are plenty of gentlemen here who have a wealth of knowledge to share.

Your observation that the forums have eroded is no surprise to me considering that you are a player on team "Socially Dysfunctional!"

Now, PLEASE, go join your foul-mouthed brethren over at "As Real As It Gets" and allow this site to draw closer yet to what it was meant to be; a kind, welcoming place of fellowship between MEN/WOMEN who share a love for the outdoors.

I don't know Mr. Olsen and can't begin to know what kind of person he is by way of another million posts. I do know he's someone's child and I intend to treat him that way regardless of any personal -isms he may have. (Momma Bear always reminded me of what is in bold and it has been the secret to great success in dealing with people. I hate that I feel compelled to ignore it now.)

I'd rather stagger through the darkness of humble ignorance with these gentlemen that have "little knowledge asking a bunch of questions" than be enlightened and beguiled with the utter filth that is spat from the mouths of the likes of Big Stick and his hoard of Internet bullies.
Kuumba-[bleep]'-ya........
Bet ya feel better now......those you speak harshly of are also "someone's child" .....some are content preaching whilst traveling on a one way street
First off, I don't believe I was rude in any way. Merely stated my opinion as I see it.

Secondly, I don't recall even mentioning JO's name.

Thirdly, I doubt anyone cares for your presence at ARAIG, so don't fret.

Fourthly, there is a BIG difference between newcomers who wish to learn, and represent themselves as such, and newcomers who pretend to know/do stuff they haven't a clue about.. These are the guys who pizz people off.

So you go on now and proceed to "stumble through the darkness of humble ignorance", my child. Must be a hell of a journey. I hear ignorance is bliss, but wouldn't know firsthand, so I WON'T comment..............
I wonder what other Internet names 'Mr Brown Bear' goes by? He/she seems to know about a web site, and a poster on that site in particular.
Bets are on....
Who cares? I'm sure there are PLENTY of lurkers there from this site........
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Who cares? I'm sure there are PLENTY of lurkers there from this site........

And they go there to learn about hunting / shooting / outdoors. From people who have been there/done that. Not some wannabes sitting in front of a computer screen reading Field and Stream.
FWIW, never looked at any of this as a "here vs there" thing. It seems that many who post here now have something against the guys who post in both places.

There are plenty of guys here who I still know and like. And yes, there are still plenty of guys who know their schit. It's just that there are a TON more now who don't, and half of them pretend to.

I comment only on schit I know from experience. I wish some would follow suit.........
Yep.......
2muchgun, couldn't agree more. I guess that was the guts of my post, but you have expressed my thoughts exactly.
Had a guy tell me I was wrong because an article in "Gun Tests" disagreed with my personal experience. LMAO. Some people just do not get it. Gun Tests is a joke, at best. I could spend an entire day posting their "findings" and laughing. I don't think they've taken a single gun out of a stock yet........
Pretty bad when a bunch of grown men b!tch and moan for 8 pages over absolutley nothing.

WB.
Tis the season. smile

Spring yet?
He ain't looked at a Ron Paul thread lately........
Ron Paul can kiss my grits.

WB.
hey guys, time out. look out the window.

total lunar eclipse right now, kinda neat.

OK, back to blue tape, and what ever the hell this was all about..:)
Damn, Dave. Just ran outside barefoot. Pretty cool......
Damn!
It is overcast here tonight!
mad
I bet that was "cool" !! LOL!

It's gett'n cold again... brrr, -35 up here on the MN/Canadian border.

I guess we won't see another total lunar equinox till 2010.
minus 35?
Wow, I think I would rather have the overcast...
Thanks for helping me keep things in perspective!
eek
it's wayyy better now though, warmed up to -20.2

smile

Haha!
At least a guy can keep his beer nice and cold, I guess.
-35 was this morning... way warmer now...

dang ole moon is still shaded over pretty much completely.
Originally Posted by 340boy
Haha!

oh yeah, 4 sure.

speed chilling beer is not a problem.

damn beer wants to freeze, kind of a pain in zee arse.

warm in the house but these cold spells make for some cabin fever real quick.

rob p: talking about "finger cotts" at Wally world....would think these might effect an obstruction if they are the black ones I am thinking about...tape is nowhere near as strong and neither are the penny balloons...definitely would not use....
Originally Posted by 340boy
Haha!

oh yeah, 4 sure.

speed chilling beer is not a problem.

damn beer wants to freeze, kind of a pain in zee arse.

warm in the house but these cold spells make for some cabin fever real quick.

I bet they do, do you get high winds along with the cold?
That would really be a bummer.

Your temps up there would be nice for trying out some of my winter backpacking stuff, however.
grin
just realized this thread is many pages long & I have yet to post anything related to the original topic...

tape on zee barrel....

I guess i've done it more often with the muzzle loader than anything else, not that it couldn't bennifit me during regular rifle season too..

I guess for ML I do it because once I'm "loaded" with powder & bullet anyways, I like to keep a cap on the muzzle.

But with rifle I'm in & out of the cabin, switching rifles.... walking rifle, deer stand rifle.... etc, and when ever mine come in from hunting the action is open for 3 reasons, respect of others (shows easy visual proof of safe unloaded fire arm) 2, safety in itself (self explanitory) and 3, air out the tube & be able to visually check for obstructions. I can't air out the tube with tape over the end, so I'd be pulling it off at that point.

If I used tape all the time on my repeaters, I'd be taping all the time, tape it up, pull it off, tape it up, pull it off...

It's a damn good practice & I applaud those of you that take the time to do it. If conditions warrant it I'll do it too, but most of the time I don't.
Here is a photo of the moon 2 mins ago,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
oh yeah we get wind.

that gets dangerous. to us, the term "wind chill" is taken quite seriously. It's kind of our... "snake bite" or... what ever sort of evil your region fears.. well, freezing's a ral thing & it don't take long if the still temp is -20 to -40 & you throw in a 25-30 MPH wind.

cars & trucks are way better these days, houses are better, heating systems... it's all way better than it was but it's still possible to get caught out in the cold.
awesome Randy, there were a few on the hunters campfire eclipse thread that wanted to see a photo, did you post there?
No not yet. But I will..:GRIN:
33 pages of almost nothing....

Yes, I put tape over the barrel of most of my hunting rifles while in the field.
The compressed air ahead of the bullet blows it off, way before the bullet arrives...

If you have tape across the muzzle, you won't have obstructions in the barrel.. unless your using it as a tent stake...

Northern Dave... What is "airing out the barrel" and what purpose does that serve??
Not Northern Dave but I would guess he wants any possible condensation from the rifle going real cold to warm to dry quickly....
Only -24 here this AM...
Not Northern Dave but I would guess he wants any possible condensation from the rifle going real cold to warm to dry quickly....

Egg-Zackery!!

that damn hot-cold-hot-cold is a bugger. I like to let the air move through everything things can dry as or shortly after condensation builds from coming in from the cold.

we warmed up here, balmy -13 this morning before i left for work.

Egg-Zackery!!

that damn hot-cold-hot-cold is a bugger. I like to let the air move through everything things can dry as or shortly after condensation builds from coming in from the cold.

we warmed up here, balmy -13 this morning before i left for work.

Thanks.
Thanks for the photo. We had clouds and rain in S. TX.

I was thinking about some kind of "breathable" tape. Maybe good to keep out some objects, but let the barrel
breathe?

stumpy
Deer can see breath....
Originally Posted by stumpy
Thanks for the photo. We had clouds and rain in S. TX.

I was thinking about some kind of "breathable" tape. Maybe good to keep out some objects, but let the barrel
breathe?

stumpy

problem is, if it breathes too well... does it still blow off clean... oh never mind... I guess with a column of compressed air moveing towards the muzzle @ 2500-3000 fps, even if it was a single strand of thread across the muzzle opening it would be toast before the bullet got there.

Originally Posted by MikeNZ
I wonder what other Internet names 'Mr Brown Bear' goes by? He/she seems to know about a web site, and a poster on that site in particular.
Bets are on....

Could be anyone.... or noone at all.......
The March issue of American Hunter has a little blurb about taped muzzles and effect on pressure, accuracy and point of impact.
Without the phonetical spelling, that could be spearit....
Anyway, one thing is for sure, there will be a TON of pics in the upcoming year of guys with blue tape on their barrels and dead critters lying next to them.......
Not from this crew... laugh
grin

-jeff
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the answers to the question on technique.
Mudhen - Check the variety stores, especially after Halloween, can find them close out and buy enough for $1 to last for years. Look for the bags of flat black ones, unless you like the neon colors, laugh .

Another source are the specialty stores for cards, party favors, etc.

I've pretty much gone to using muzzle cover all the time. Even if thinking not going to be in the brush, rose briar junk, seems like I always end up there for one reason or another. Have found too much debri in barrel from the brush junk, especially when tall and overhead. Conditioned me to use the balloon trick all the time!!!

Haven't found it to affect accuracy yet, hunting shots, or shots off the bench.
Flat black!? Why, pray tell? whistle

-jeff
Let 'er go Jeffy, let 'er go.
bump.....................................................
smile
I mean wink
I finally understand the blue tape thing.
Man VA, this is cruel and unusual punishment to bring this thread back up from the dead laugh I love it!

GK
"Do you put tape over the end of your barrel?"

But of course! Doesn't everyone? I prefer blue myself. The more the better.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

You sadist. grin

Originally Posted by VAnimrod

TFF
[Linked Image]
I put tape on my barrel, never have worried about that.

haven't worried about blue either. I think the older ones are color blind.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
How ignorant laugh
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
How ignorant laugh

I know, and those 200 grain 30cal accubonds at 3150fps at close range just don't do it either. bang flop.

What in the world is going on!

Ha HA LOL <g>

Hey them R2 some nice Deerz

Originally Posted by Greenhorn

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Greenhorn: Knock it off with the photo's.......you're killing me grin

Good grief! Great deer!
Seems to have more than a few nice critters to his credit...must be doin' something right wink
Nice deer Greenhorn!
Thinking Greenhorn may have some things figured out...
I don't put it on my rifle, but if the weather is that bad, I don't hunt. It isn't enjoyable to me. Am I missing a monster by hunting in dry weather? maybe, probably, I don't know, but it doesn't haunt my sleep or anything.

It won't change your point of impact though.
oh my... the tape is back!!! crazy

I found some sweet blue electrical tape a couple months back at the Home Depot. I've never donned the blue tape before but I'll bet I won't be the only newbie running it this fall. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think I need a blue shirt!

Nice bucks greenhor!!!
Screw the shirt, I wanna BE Greenhorn..... grin
7MM-08 for me..
Originally Posted by BobinNH

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Greenhorn: Knock it off with the photo's.......you're killing me grin

Good grief! Great deer!

[bleep] house luck , thats all grin
Originally Posted by redmtn

I did a nice job on the 2nd one, but the first one.. no doubt about it.. [bleep] luck. It ran across the trail in front of me.. mid day. I'll take it. Clearly, it was horrified about the blue shirt..
Been using tape now for over thirty years and have always taped the rifles of all of my clients during that time as well. I can't think of any good reason not to.
Deer? I thought those were elk! smile

Camo Duct tape. It stays on in all types of weather.
Greenie-

I spy a 700 KS. 7mm or 300 Win?
Originally Posted by redmtn

I did a nice job on the 2nd one, but the first one.. no doubt about it.. [bleep] luck. It ran across the trail in front of me.. mid day. I'll take it. Clearly, it was horrified about the blue shirt..

That shirt in the first photo looks too clean and almost pressed , somethings not right here wink
Greenie-

It's a 700AWR in 300RUM. It's being rebuilt and should be done soon.
Much lighter weight I hope..... wink grin
You guys be careful if you have any cans of Coors Light in camp. If it gets cold enough "It Turns Blue"! Could scare all the deer out of the county.

1/2 lb. more

1/2 lb. more

#5 contour.
yes, #5 fluted 27.5" stainless 1:10. McMillan 2 color molded in color sporter, shilen triger, lightweight pin assembly, shroud, and bottom metal, weather res finish, should be a nice rifle. I'll have the TallyLW mounts and the same scope on it, but with an elevation turret.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Never hunted them, at least not yet, but ..............

DAMN!

Those are pigs!

Color-blind, obviously, but PIGS, nonetheless.
To answer the question in a sufficiently beneficial way, I shall require the date, time of day, weather conditions and, most importantly, GPS coordinates for those bucks you harvested. wink
Greenie-

It's a 700AWR in 300RUM. It's being rebuilt and should be done soon.

Is that what you told your wife?

"Honey, rifles are like car engines, after a few years of hard use they need to be 'rebuilt'..."

haha
So if a guy wore blue, AND shot a 308 he would be double-ly screwed smile

"Honey, rifles are like car engines, after a few years of hard use they need to be 'rebuilt'..."

haha

Nope, I divorced her. Upgraded significantly to a new, more fitting, unblemished version with half the milage.

haha

Nope, I divorced her. Upgraded significantly to a new, more fitting, unblemished version with half the milage.

Always a good call.

Did the same, and given that she decided to spend her life with me, was the best the thing that ever happened on this end.

haha

LMAO....!!! Funniest thing I've read all day..! Thx!
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
So if a guy wore blue, AND shot a 308 he would be double-ly screwed smile

Nope. If a gay were JO, he'd be doubly-screwed, though likely liking it much.

If you wear blue and shoot a .308, or a 7-08, just aim for parts other than the ass, and you're likely fine.
yes, #5 fluted 27.5" stainless 1:10. McMillan 2 color molded in color sporter, shilen triger, lightweight pin assembly, shroud, and bottom metal, weather res finish, should be a nice rifle. I'll have the TallyLW mounts and the same scope on it, but with an elevation turret.

Reckon that'll cross a canyon....or two. laugh
You SOOOOOOOOOOOOO need to put an blue anodized shroud on the firing pin assembly.

You, uhhhh, gonna sell the McMillan stock off of the AWR?
blue skys smiling at me...nothing but blue skys can I see...

better than polishing rust out of the barrel....can deer see rust?

what were those old sayings "all hat and no cattle", or "why continue to pxss into the wind unless you like wet shoes" or "when in Rome do as the Roman's do" stuff like that...
Tape the barrel? Only when its wet out...
Originally Posted by handwerk
I always do, except I usually use the blue 3m painters tape, seems to stick better.
+1

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holy Shiite - That is a nice shirt!! Good buck too!
No. To the tape question.
About the 11th post in it gets REAL fun. Another JO idiot thread.
I forgot how priceless this was...
Thanks for the reminder.
YES
yes, clear surgical grade, no mess,water proof
© 24hourcampfire