Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Hey guys,

There's a lot of knowledge here, so I'll ask for your input. I recently bought a rifle from gunbroker.com. It was described as a BDL, but when it got here, it didn't have a floorplate. The seller tells me it is still a BDL, but with a "blind magazine." He sites the Blue Book of Gun Values as a source for this claim. I've owned a heck of a bunch of 700's, and have never heard of such a thing! What's everyone's take on this?

Thanks!
Eddie

GB1

E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a stainless/synthetic mountain rifle.

Eddie

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ive never heard remington use the term blind mag for thier 700 like savage does thier 110,does your rifle have a black forend tip and grip cap or is it just a solid wood stock,from what lil info Ive got from you is that what youve got is the ADL not the BDL..........

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to Remington's current website, "The Model 700 BDL features a hinged magazine floorplate, sling swivel studs, hooded ramp front sight, and adjustable rear sight." How new is the rifle?
My book shows no "blind magazine" variations for the BDL. The only thing I see are "DM" versions, which are detachable magazines.

E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
This rifle has a S620XXXX serial number, if that helps with the age. I always thought ADL=no floorplate, and BDL=hinged floorplate. You can see a slight line on the bottom of the stock where the floor plate should be. It is just a line from the injection mold though. It has a stainless front action screw also. Everything looks to be original, as the stock is sort of "chalking" like the older synthetics do. I hadn't even heard of an ADL mountain rifle till a couple of months ago...now I guess it's not really an ADL. confused

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EMoore
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a stainless/synthetic mountain rifle.

Eddie

Then it may be some variation of the Rem 700 Mountain Rifle SS. If so, then it is not an ADL or BDL. According to my book it should still have either a detachable magazine or a hinged floorplate. Was a cheaper "walmart special" synthetic stock put on it? It may have started out as a Rem 700 BDL LSS, then had the cheap stock fitted for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everything looks to be original, as the stock is sort of "chalking" like the older synthetics do.

Then I don't know...Maybe a cheaper stock was put on it a while back for whatever reason and it has aged with the rifle.

E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I don't know dog hunter, the stock is correctly inletted for the mountain rifle barrel, and I've heard of these "ADL" mtn. rifles in the recent past.

I guess my main concern is whether or not the rifle was misrepresented in the auction or not. The seller claims is wasn't, since it's a "blind magazine BDL." I say it was, based only on my Remington 700 experience. All the photo's in the ad convieniently didn't show the bottom of the stock. smirk

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90864744

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
What you have there is the "700 mountain SS" rifle that Remington made in 1993ish for only one, maybe two years. They were all blind magazines so technically they were ADLs but were never listed either way. They are actually pretty hard to find. I've only seen 2 (one in 270, the other in 280). That is an AWESOME price for one. Both those that I saw were in shops for over twice the amount you paid.

I would not complain unless the thing is completely trashed. If it is just the barrel, rebarrel it with a Remington mountain contour barrel in any LA STD chambering and go forth and kill something. If you dislike the ADL style, get a mountain LSS stock (or McMillan EDGE) and buy the proper mag box/bottom metal and you're all set. If you just dislike the tupperware stock, an original LA Ti stock would be sweet and a lot cheaper! You have a ton of options including selling it to me for the same price you paid.

RH

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one of those Stainless/Synthetic Mountain rifles in 280...I just can't remember how they where advertised, but I think it was Mountain Rifle SS. A very nice rifle however. It looked just like the one you bought with a blind magazine. Won't help this time, but next time you will notice that you can't see a floorplate release in the trigger guard bow...still I don't think he should have said BDL.

IC B3

E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah, I guess the price was pretty reasonable. The stock has some scratches, and the bolt handle is worn, but it's not in terrible shape. I'll probably keep it, but it isn't what I was expecting, given the BDL in the description.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have one in .270 bought new in 92 or 93. I've never heard anyone call one of those a BDL. Everyone knows the BDL has a floorplate. They were sometimes called a mountain rifle but most people I know call them an ADL stainless synthetic.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have that exact rifle in 25-06. I was thinking of selling it, but havent made up my mind yet, but think you got a steal!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. himmelrr:
I believe that you and Mr. bushrat are correct in your nomenclature and timeline on that rifle. I read the post and at first couldn�t quite remember where I�d seen a couple of examples of that particular rifle. After Mr. bushrat and you responded my memory kicked in to gear.

A friend of mine in the Yukon has one in .270 and another in .300WM, both of which he got in the early �90�s. I seem to recall him mentioning that they were only available for a couple years in the ADL format and changed to a BDL format thereafter.

FWIW, he�s found both of them shoot quite well and have given very satisfactory service.

It sounds like a nice rifle for the price and I hope Mr. EMoore has good luck with it.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/16/08. Reason: Someday I will learn to spell

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
When you decide to sell your 25-06, please keep me in mind. smile

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hey guys,

There's a lot of knowledge here, so I'll ask for your input. I recently bought a rifle from gunbroker.com. It was described as a BDL, but when it got here, it didn't have a floorplate. The seller tells me it is still a BDL, but with a "blind magazine." He sites the Blue Book of Gun Values as a source for this claim. I've owned a heck of a bunch of 700's, and have never heard of such a thing! What's everyone's take on this?

Thanks!
Eddie

It is an ADL.

BDL, Classics, and the new SPS's have hinged floorplates.

If it has a blind box synthetic stock, and a classic straight comb with cheekpiece, it's an ADL.

edited to add, The newer mountain rifles have a hinged floorplate too--but it's not called the ADL. The Mountain Rifles offered up to a few years ago had blind box magizines, but had different stocks than the regular Remmy tupperware ADL's
Casey

Last edited by alpinecrick; 02/16/08.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This rifle has a S620XXXX serial number, if that helps with the age. I always thought ADL=no floorplate, and BDL=hinged floorplate. You can see a slight line on the bottom of the stock where the floor plate should be. It is just a line from the injection mold though. It has a stainless front action screw also. Everything looks to be original, as the stock is sort of "chalking" like the older synthetics do. I hadn't even heard of an ADL mountain rifle till a couple of months ago...now I guess it's not really an ADL. confused

Oh yes, Remmy made a M700, ADL, Synthetic, SS, Mountain Rifle with the blind box ADL stock--for one year, 1993.

I have one--wished I had bought 10 of them--street price was less than the wood stocked, chrome moly ADL with sporter contour bbls.

edited to add: Yep, this is the ADL Mountain Rifle offered in 1993. They are rather hard to find and now sell as though they were the more expensive later version of the Mountain Rifle

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=90864744

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Look under the "Variations" heading for "Mountain SS".

http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_700.asp

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
E
EMoore Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for all the info. The seller emailed me, and states that because the Blue Book of Gun Values, the gentleman who traded in the rifle, and he himself classify this as a BDL, then that's what it is. mad

Here's a copy of the email:

Eddie,
If you look at the "Blue Book of Gun Values" 28th edition page 1341 seventh item down you will see this gun. It is a "Model 700 BDL Mountian Rifle stainless (fixed Mag.)".
We did not mis represent this rifle in any way. You evidently were not aware that Remington made 700 BDL's with fixed mags. It is as described and NOT an ADL. Please look at the Blue book page 1341. We go to great lengths to describe our guns correctly.
If you will return the rifle we will send you a check. We want you to be satisfied with the gun but it was described correctly.
Please let me know what you want to do.

Next email:

Sorry for the confusion Eddie. It was a local trade in and the gentleman had to point the BDL discription to me as well. We did not intentionally leave out the bottom of the gun picture. Actually it is an unique gun. The Blue Book as well as the previous owner consider it a BDL.
My offer stands if you want to return it.

He offered to refund my money, which is fine, but he won't admit to misrepresenting the rifle.

Oh, well. I guess this is why I get so many questions when I sell something. I'll keep it, see how it shoots, then sell it or rebarrel. I just wish he'd admit that he made a mistake.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for all the info. The seller emailed me, and states that because the Blue Book of Gun Values, the gentleman who traded in the rifle, and he himself classify this as a BDL, then that's what it is. mad

Here's a copy of the email:

Eddie,
If you look at the "Blue Book of Gun Values" 28th edition page 1341 seventh item down you will see this gun. It is a "Model 700 BDL Mountian Rifle stainless (fixed Mag.)".
We did not mis represent this rifle in any way. You evidently were not aware that Remington made 700 BDL's with fixed mags. It is as described and NOT an ADL. Please look at the Blue book page 1341. We go to great lengths to describe our guns correctly.
If you will return the rifle we will send you a check. We want you to be satisfied with the gun but it was described correctly.
Please let me know what you want to do.

Next email:

Sorry for the confusion Eddie. It was a local trade in and the gentleman had to point the BDL discription to me as well. We did not intentionally leave out the bottom of the gun picture. Actually it is an unique gun. The Blue Book as well as the previous owner consider it a BDL.
My offer stands if you want to return it.

He offered to refund my money, which is fine, but he won't admit to misrepresenting the rifle.

Oh, well. I guess this is why I get so many questions when I sell something. I'll keep it, see how it shoots, then sell it or rebarrel. I just wish he'd admit that he made a mistake.

The seller is wrong in describing it as a BDL because it is not. But understandable because not many folks are familiar with this variation. To my knowledge, no blind box M700 has ever been designated as a BDL.

The street price of these rifles was about $390-$450 in 1993-94. They probably have held their value as well as any regular production M700 out there..........dang-it anyway grin

And in my opinion, it is the best variation of the M700 ever built for the price--mine shoots Partions, BT's, and Sierra's as well as my custom barrels. I have told Remmy reps on several occasions they missed the boat when they stopped producing it......

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.