V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Brother Dave
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dude.........

I almost lost a gulp of baileys and coffee when I read this. It's a tired expression on the boards, but true in this instance...

If only some people's dads, had put tape over the ends of THEIR barrels...

Truer words, likely never said.....

Last edited by VAnimrod; 02/17/08.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
[bleep]....... I ain't laughed this hard in a LONG time......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It has been an entertaining read.... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quit it you two, you're spooking me...

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congrats Jeff!! What does he get?

Luck favors the prepared.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
But realistically Jeff, how fine do you think deer vision is? Can you pick out a half inch dot in foliage 25 yards away?

Well, here's the thing, the muzzle would be about the worst possible place to put a dot of something highly visible... it moves around a lot, and it HAS to move in order to take the shot. Maybe it's my inexperience or general lack of woodsmanship, but, raising the rifle has been a difficult, long, heart-pounding affair on a couple bucks I've killed that knew something was there, but didn't know what it was. If- and I fully agree it's an IF- the blue dot is anything like a blaze orange dot would look to a human, then heck yeah I could see it being a problem.

This is not a hill I want to fight for. I really don't care about this. I made a simple observation that deer see blue really well and BAAM! Here comes the storm.

Carry on...

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_Olsen; 02/17/08.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
it moves around a lot

It won't if you actually want to hit something. I wonder just what about a "moving blue dot" would scream DANGER to a deer? Nothing. There isn't anything that it would know as danger because of a moving blue dot.

Human form - yes, color NOPE.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, I'm not joining with those here picking a fight and trying to put you down... I hope you know that. But you've got to admit it's a stretch worrying about a 1/2" sized piece of blue tape on the end of a stainless barrel... laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
As the originator of this thread I want to first thank everyone for convincing me that there will be no ill effects from protecting my bore by placing a piece of tape over the end, I'll probably use black electricians tape, as I have that in my pack anyway for taping my tag to the antlers.

Secondly I want to stick up for Jeff who is certainly a good sport, I would have lost my cool a long time ago. I haven't been here long, but from what I have read, Jeff post a lot and is a very enthusiastic student of the game. An internet forum like this is certainly a place for esoteric discussion, and I can see his point that in close quarters hunting you should take every detail into consideration regardless of how low the odds are that it will really effect anything. I have been a duck hunter my whole life and I am quite anay when it comes to drab colors and camo. Getting back to the tape, if I had my choice of colors, I wouldn't use white tape for the same reason Jeff states even though there probably isn't one chance in a hundred that it would really spook a deer, but if I have a choice of dark unobtrusive versus white, why take the chance.

I know a lot of this was just poking fun, but it seemed like a few of you were borderline mean spirited about it. I just wanted to say that I am one who appreciates Jeff's input as being thoughtful and eager to contribute on one hand and humbly defering to those he knows have greater experiance on the other.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There's the kind of post i can appreciate.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
plus 1

Last edited by xp100; 02/18/08.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I haven't been here long, but from what I have read, Jeff post a lot and is a very enthusiastic student of the game.

You shoulda stopped there, but that is some funny stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Student... "An attentive observer" ...it's when he starts trying to be a voice of experience that his true color shows

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wel,Jeff does provide some entertainment now and then. but hell,if we didn't like him,he would have been run off long ago. He cang ive as good as he gets like most of us.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He can give as good as he gets like most of us.
That's funny....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks guys. Appreciated as always. Sorry your thread got invaded by some of the more.... uncouth elements of the fire, Glacier George, and I appreciate the kind words. As you'll see as you are here longer, the insults and so on are standard operating procedure for a bunch of those guys. I don't take them seriously, nor does most of the Campfire.

Brad, I agree pretty much. Like I said, this isn't a hill I'm willing to die on! :-) I draw on my own limited experience in these matters and I think it's pretty non-typical of how much of the rest of the world hunts deer. Personally, knowing what *I* know about how the deer that *I* act, where *I* hunt them, I do obsess over details like that in the much the same way a bowhunter might, if'n he were the obsessing type that is <g>. Basically in a world where tape comes in many colors, when I'm at Tape Mart buying my supply of muzzle tape, I will choose something different than blue. Me. I. Myself.

I can't say for a fact but I'm guessing if I were hunting in more normal circumstances I wouldn't give much thought to it. Or even what I was wearing, within reason. But I'm not, I'm hunting a 15% success rate buck tag, of which I only get one, and where the deer killin' often happens at very intimate ranges... and yeah, if they see blue the way we see blaze orange I'd hate to have to give up my exact position to them by slowly raising a "bright" dot like that. Again because they are one short step away from me losing my shooting lane and once they know where you are, they are DAMN good at making an exit in a way that doesn't give you a shot...

What I wonder is how many guys will choose blue tape for their muzzle after reading this thread. Not many I guess.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He cang ive as good as he gets like most of us.

At least Jeff didn't get upset and run away from the forum,only to return months later. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I wonder is how many guys will choose blue tape for their muzzle after reading this thread. Not many I guess.

I'm buying a case. Just dropped 145.00 on blue spray paint for the truck as well, maybe my insurance premiums will go down as now they will see me and run the other direction.

Last edited by teal; 02/18/08.

Me

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wondering what makes one uncouth...could it be knowing something about about a topic before they open their pie hole or maybe it's someone calling bull crap on someone who doesn't....

Page 8 of 20 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.