-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E,You really need to work on your reading comprehension. Specifically you DID misrepresent what he said because Swaro PH's in the 2-12 range are NOT heavy scopes.

Surely E would not misrepresent anything would he?Except maybe:

They feature coatings made from diamonds, which are ten times harder than other coating compounds.

Remember that one? grin

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ah, yes. Stubby welcome back. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah, yes. Stubby welcome back. E

Just had to let those that don't know you,about your habit of misrepresenting information,and spreading blatant falsehoods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Im sure I'd find the same thing as well. But that is not a Bushnell vs. Zeiss comparision. It's a comparision of a 40mm, fully multicoated scope vs. a 56mm fully multicoated scope. Hardly a fair comparision. E

The comparison is unfair in many ways other than the size of the objective lens,the cost,glass quality,and quality of optical coatings are worlds apart.

If the only difference were the diameter of the objective then I would see a lot of difference beween my Ziess Victory 2.5-10x42 Victory and my Ziess 3-12x56 Victory. I do not see much difference between them,it is very slight and only really evident in nightime conditions.

Again there is a world of difference between the Bushnell 4200 series 2.5-10x40 and the Ziess Victory series 2.5-10x42. Far more than the tiny 5% difference in objective diameters would predict. Some of the difference is due to the larger ocular lens system of the Ziess and some is related to the quality of the glass/coatings as well as myriad other factors. But the bottom line is that the expensive scope is brighter in low light,a lot brighter. The difference is enough that there are circumstances where you can still see the target with one when you can only see a blur through the other.If your hunting conditions don't reveal any difference,then use what you like and br happy. Just don't tell me that there is no difference in my conditions.

In short,your oft said statement that all multicoated scopes are about the same does not reflect the real world differences that people who have compared the scopes report.

Britt

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Brit, under dark twilight conditions where a 5mm exit pupil is required in order to see anything, you are telling me that you see just as much on about 8.5X as you can with the other scope on 11.2X ? That I find unbelieveable.
Anybody can test this. All you need to do would be look at a target at 200 yds. during dark twilight, then walk up to it within 24 yds. That's 8.4X. Then walk up to it at 19 yds. That's 11.2X. In otherwords, relative distance from the target during low light has no effect on what you can see ? I beg to disagree.
Yes, there will be tiny difference in what you can see due to various other factors of rifle scopes but this basically holds true, especially with scopes of the same make and level of quality. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 02/18/08.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Diamonds are forever.............I expect there's more truth in that than one person might have ever hoped for or imagined.......grin.

Last edited by magnumb; 02/18/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whatever......

At least I try the stuff that I post about and tell people what it looks like to me. Feel free to believe that I am dishonnest if you like.

Britt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At least I try the stuff that I post about and tell people what it looks like to me.

This forum would be far superior if everyone else did the same.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Does ANYBODY really CARE what Errormicus says here? His bullschitt is now "called"by JB, the authority whom he has used for so long to bolster his foolish comments and STILL he rants on....the guy is a freakin' head case and his comments are drivel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does ANYBODY really CARE what Errormicus says here?

There are people on this forum that see him as a victim,when he gets called on his nonsense.They see the people that ask him to prove his statements as bullies.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You've got to realize if E quits posting what JB says, and has to rely on personal experience with the items he discusses, he would have very little to say, ever. He would be very lonely.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've got to realize if E quits posting what JB says, and has to rely on personal experience with the items he discusses, he would have very little to say, ever. He would be very lonely.

cry cry cry cry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E does know about a lot of things that I am pretty ignorant about,like desert mule deer in public ground,or backpacking and camping in the west.

He seems like a very fine fellow with one annoying habit,posting about optics that he has never used and quoting John B. in the process,at times using info that is now out of date.

I do think he makes some important points,moderately priced optics by companies like Leupold are all most people need to get most hunting jobs done. They are very good values for the money,and very rugged and reliable.

So I agree with much of what he says,I just dissagree with his dogmatic dismissal of products that he doesn't use. It is fun to debate such a hard headed guy,but the truth is I wouldn't mind hunting with him and I'm sure there are lots of things he could teach me even if I don't always see things his way.

Britt

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with ruraldoc about E: I think he is an interesting guy who knows some things much better than I. He does seem to get a bit carried away about Leupolds and John Barnsness' (somewhat dated) book though.

I would happily share a (real) campfire with E. I just think I would not bring up optics in the conversation...

Ain't none of us perfect! smile

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ain't none of us perfect!

But some of us will admit that. grin

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don't believe you are dishonest Brit. But I do question your conclusions concerning some things optical. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
Gentlemen,

The results that I posted were accurate. The Ziess V series scope allowed me to cleanly target deer in very low light. From the same stand,on the same afternoon while alternating scopes,it became imposible to tell the deer from the shadows with the Bushnell. The Bushnell was focused for my vision,and features a euro style quick focus ocular.

The Bushnell is a very nice scope and is usefully for 99% of the hunting that I do,but under the acid test of the last few minutes of legal shooting on a cloudy dark day under the shadows of the timber next to the wheatfield,the difference between the two was astounding.

You just have to compare a top notch euro scope to a Bushnell or leupold under similar conditions to see it for yourself. Most folks who make this kind of comparison agree with my conclusions.

Britt

After years of hunting in very low light conditions.I could not agree more.Lupies second tier glass and coatings just dont cut it.
Right now im pig hunting north of Del Rio and theres not a lupie in camp.We hunt only at night.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As JB stated a VX II is using 1998 technology (coatings) - this is why this glass will fall way behind a Swaro or Zeiss and I suspect many others.

My Swaro will give me a solid 4-5 minutes of extra shooting time compared to my comparable VX III - and it's got nothing to do with focus, different magnification, etc. Better glass and coatings make a big difference!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 to 5 minutes is a very long time.lupie just dont cut it.Never did.Never will.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
lupie just dont cut it.Never did.Never will.
dave
Bullshit.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (10ring1, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,984
Posts18,520,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.