Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by tbear
You can rest assured that Leupold has not caught up with any scope manufacturer on illuminated reticles. Mine failed twice & a new updated module was installed the third time. Reticle washes out target, module prone to failure, battery drains if left on & battery drain in use excessive,& adjustment cap falls off(lost one crawling in bush). Other than these few issues they are state of the art. I have a Simmons Atec that has an illuminated reticle module that is superior.

First hand user of lupie tech.With Leupold its always about the hype.Never about the performance.
dave

As an owner of a few Leupy's, I have to wholeheartedly agree....

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Let me see if I get this right. Leupolds illuminated reticles are very troublesome, and not state of the art ? In spite of the fact that they sell no less than 11 models so equipped ? If they were no good, how come they sell so many ?
You say you are going over to Conquests. I didn't see any Conquests equipped with illuminated reticles the last time I checked. If it such a great idea and Conquests are such great/better scopes, how come they aren't so offered ? E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm agreeing with the "Leupold is always about the hype, never about the performance." I don't give a rats ass about illuminated reticles from anyone. Leupy is the marketing king, not the optic king.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That they are. Not because of razzle dazzle ad hype, but because they offer something practical that works. And keeps on working, any where, any time and have for many years. Ever wonder why S&B's aren't more popular ?
I don't care about illuminated reticles either. That's becuse I have no use for them. Even at night. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are right that the reticle is critical for shooting in low light,I learned this the hard way. Being able to clearly see the target and not able to see the reticle is not any fun. One of the worst offenders is the regular duplex style.

I prefer the Euro style 4A,heavy enough to see,fine enough to shoot at longer distances.

Britt

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
That they are. Not because of razzle dazzle ad hype, but because they offer something practical that works. And keeps on working, any where, any time and have for many years. Ever wonder why S&B's aren't more popular ?
I don't care about illuminated reticles either. That's becuse I have no use for them. Even at night. E

There are also more Honda Accord's sold than Lexus LS 430's......

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

There are also more Honda Accord's sold than Lexus LS 430's......

And the best selling music is hip hop by far. Care to argue that this reflects quality? If so, yu be trippin' bro! smile

John

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hard to be of higher quality than Lexus.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let me see if I get this right. Leupolds illuminated reticles are very troublesome, and not state of the art ?

Yup, that's correct. A couple examples of "state of the art":

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You say you are going over to Conquests. I didn't see any Conquests equipped with illuminated reticles the last time I checked. If it such a great idea and Conquests are such great/better scopes, how come they aren't so offered ? E

Give them time E.The Conquest line expands all the time.Rest assured that when they do it will be more useful than anything lupie makes.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, the only reason you don't need illuminated reticles at night is because you have never shot against someone using a good one.

I have a couple of S&B's and a Nighforce and there is no way to compare a standard reticle to any of them. It would be like flying a biplane against a P-51. You could have fun in the bi-plane but don't start a fight with a guy in a P-51. You'd hate what happened next.

By the way, the illumination is great during the day, also.

SS

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ever hear of advertising & lack of knowledge. In the European market where illuminated reticles are very standard(of course, the European hunter knows nothing about this technology) Leupold has no market. Most US hunters purchase this type of scope simply because it appears to be a gimmick & I doubt few actually use it for night hunting. Zeiss makes many scopes with illuminated reticles & I have used them. Have you? The reason Conquest are not available is obvious if you read lines 4 & 5 above. Why can't you discuss a topic you know something about? I do a lot of night hunting including predators in Texas & elsewhere, & assorted big game in Europe & Africa. Yea, I know you parrot JJ Hack(whom I respect & has extensive experience) but Thur out Europe hunters use this technology. If they only knew how to fo--- a Leupold. Guess I just can't type the word. Would love to be able to afford a S&B Flashdot for an upcoming African trip. I will be doing some culling day & at night.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let me see if I get this right. Leupolds illuminated reticles are very troublesome, and not state of the art ? In spite of the fact that they sell no less than 11 models so equipped ? If they were no good, how come they sell so many ?

E if you ever hunt at night the USO is one to take a look at as well. If you hunt in the field at night which I know you don't do because of where you are you would find this very useful... If you compare the S&B PMII or the USO to the Loopy you will be in for a suprise. Of course you do pay for performance...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Here we go again, wanting to actually test something first hand for an informed opinion.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Leupolds are no good at night ? I've used many of mine plenty in full darkness. So have guys like JJHack. They don't hold up until the end of legal shooting hours ? That's funny. Only if you don't adjust them properly. The same with all the others.

Here's the thread where JJhack was asking about a Scopes for night hunting coyotes.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post1958422

His old Leupolds didn't have the resolution to make out coyotes against a brush background. Maybe he didn't adjust them properly smile .

E, please quit misquoting people.

The truth is that Leupolds are good scopes for the money. However there are other scopes that are better.
Reticle choice is very important for low light shooting. I prefer a 4a reticle to a 7a but that's just preference, both are excellent when done well..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I don't need an illuminated reticle simply because I have no trouble targeting whatever I need to do w/o them.
Now, if you want to have fun, or more fun with them, fine. But I have spent lots of time out in the dark. My usual tactic is to arrive in my hunting area after a long hike, often better than an hour, in the dark. Then I wait for a half hour or so until it is legal to shoot. That means lots of walking and potential predator shooting long before twilight. My scopes work fine w/o the fancy illuminated reticles. Including areas and times so dark that I can't see more than 5-10 yds. in front of me in full darkness. Lots of others have found the same thing.
So say what you will. You can't convince me I need something else simply because what I have works. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I sure hope those interested read that post again very carefully.
His problem was at very long ranges during twilight. He needed advice on a scope that would show him his target w/o resorting to the very expensive scopes. That' why he posted it here. He knows all about the fancy euros and their capabilities. It's the cheaper scopes with equal capabilities he wanted to hear about. We'll see, I hope, what he chose and how well it worked. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Last I heard, Leupold's export models scopes are not their fully multicoated models. They export a special version, aimed at the bottom of the european market with VXI level of coatings. They do this because of the very high tariffs on quality scopes. Looks like the euro politicans don't want any competition. I understand they are very popular over there. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, there's a tariff on "quality" scopes, but not lesser scopes? To what documentation could you point me so I can learn more about this issue?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last I heard, Leupold's export models scopes are not their fully multicoated models. They export a special version, aimed at the bottom of the european market with VXI level of coatings. They do this because of the very high tariffs on quality scopes. Looks like the euro politicans don't want any competition. I understand they are very popular over there. E

Incorrect. Leupold does export some scopes not made in the US (and these are VXII level for the most part, not VXI), but they also export all their latest top models too.

They are not rare, but I would not say they were popular either.

Also, the tariff is 4 to 8% (there is additional VAT, but that applies equally to the Euroscopes so this is irrelevant).

Americans seem to always assume that the rest of the world has high tariffs against their products, but it varies greatly with different products and optics are in the lowest category.

John

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,026 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,922
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.