Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Eremicus
they sell no less than 11 models so equipped ? If they were no good, how come they sell so many ?
E

Commen lupie tactic.Flood the market, make alot of add hype.
Buy hunts for gunwriters. Compare themselves to Euros,"our roots are showing." type crap.And hope no one looks to close.
Of course on this board first hand experience doesnt mean anything.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Leupold scopes are readily available over here (UK) infact the whole line is available and NO they are not VERY common but yes people do buy them, the main problem i think is not so much the quality of the "product" its the cost eg. S+B 6x42 �350 leupie �300 forget for one minute the Euro V leupie thing �50 more for a S+B its a no brainer just for the name if nothing else (carnt get any better than a fixed 6 S+B)or a Meopta 3000 3-12x56 �470 same money for a Leupie of simular spec.This isnt to kick Leupold its just that the prices are pretty close and my money stays in Europe (unless i can find something that is perfect for a specific requirement like my Bushnell firefly).

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys crack me up.... EVERY optics thread turns into a Leupold Vs Conquest argument. Dont you all get tired of hashing the same crap every time?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Last I heard, Leupold's export models scopes are not their fully multicoated models. They export a special version, aimed at the bottom of the european market with VXI level of coatings. They do this because of the very high tariffs on quality scopes. Looks like the euro politicans don't want any competition. I understand they are very popular over there. E

Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about, as proven by our euro friends. Congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Looks like the euro politicans don't want any competition. I understand they are very popular over there. E

Complete bias showing up loud and clear again, not sure why you continue to take guesses to dis the competition.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tasco - best scope on market!!! LOL!!

This thread is getting pretty tired. How about shoot what you feel is the best scope for you, then be happy with it.

I shoot S&B and I'm happy!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, nobody is trying to convince you to buy a scope with capabilities that you don't need. Only to let everyone know that there are scopes out there that far exceed the capabilities of the VX-III line of Leupolds. The Leupolds are fine scopes in their price range, but they cannot compete against the more capable (and expensive) Euros.

SS

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by foogle
Matt, do you often encounter situations that require adjusting the lighted reticle? NF used to make scopes with the external rheostat in the earlier models which I am sure you are aware of.They seemed to work fine,so it is not a matter of nightforce having a poor design as they traded for ease of parallax adjustment over ease of intensity adjusment. I have NF scopes with both focal planes and a SB in the first focal plane. You are right about personal preference, it is all in what you are used to and most comfortable with. I have the nprr reticle and do not seem to be bothered by the total illumination of the reticle. Have shot the dot also and like it illuminated.

foogle,
Yes I frequently encounter situations were I need to adjust the reticles illumination to suit lighting conditions. It always nice to have options...

Nightforce still makes a scope with an external rheostat. They are the BR scopes. Bought my first BR(8-32x56)in 97' with the NP-RR. In all truth I did not care for the scope. Beautiful view off of the bench shooting paper. Utterly useless in the field. 6 MOA per revolution with 1/8 MOA clicks...

NF did not choose between Side Focus and a proper rheostat. Their external rheostat was not waterproof to the 66 foot requirement of the NXS and the Navy. A better arrangment would have been a fourth turret like Schmidt Bender uses on the PMIIs.

I've never met too many folks who shoot a lot at night that were overly fond of the Nightforce Illuminated Reticle. That said if it works for you... Proper illumination can be observed with the Gen 2 and and Gen 2 XL that Jona posted in the pictures above... fwiw & imho..

I like(and shoot) NXS 3.5-15x50s and 5.5-22x50s for punching paper. As a matter of fact I can't think of a better choice if that were your goal. That said illumination is not their strong suit...imo

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
SharpShooter, far exceed the capabilities of the VXIII Leupolds ? How so ? Every time I see something that illistrates this so called "far exceeds" in performance, I discover I've been doing that and more for quite sometime now with my Leupolds.
I don't see the euros getting recommended for .375's built by custom gun makers like DArcy Echols. Or Kenny Jarret. But I do see Leupolds. No. One in tough.
I don't see any euros with Leupold's eye relief and big eye boxes. No One is non critical eye relief, particularly at the lower magnifications. All I hear about is how much brighter one is vs. the other. But, when comes to performance, I don't see anything much, if any, different in what you can actually see. And, more important, good quality scopes offer more twilight performance than any of us need. Assuming, of course, you understand how to use it. E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I see Jarrett recommending Swaro more often than Leupy..and you've already been proven wrong here by members of the 'fire with regards to Echols and Jarrett.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Taken from Jarrett's website . . .

" . . . the best scope for the money is the Leupold; the best scope on the market is the Swarovski."

Why do you suppose he thinks Swaro are the best scope? We'll let's give E an hint, they're better optically. Aint that hard . . . but for those that have already entered the stage of life where "learning" in no longer practiced it's fairly difficult to comprehend.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Jarret does recommend Swarovski over Leupold for general use. But not for rifles of the .375's recoil and higher. See July 2004 ed. of Rifle, page 50. "Tough Scopes" by John Barsness.
Nobody makes my list of good, all around scopes when they have an eye relief of 3.5 inches or less and use the euro, non locking focusing system. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 02/22/08.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Jarret does recommend Swarovski over Leupold for general use. But not for rifles of the .375's recoil and higher. See July 2004 ed. of Rifle, page 50. "Tough Scopes" by John Barsness.

Perhaps you should teach Jarrett how to focus Leupold's so he quits recommending Swaros to his customers on everything with the exception of the African guns.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think he'd benefit by reading what Barsness has to say about using and understanding scopes in general. Then they can talk about the strong points and their differences of each. E

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Perhaps . . . and you'd likely benefit from re-reading what Barsness told you a few weeks back in that the optics world has changed, quite dramatically in fact.

Leupold scopes at least their middle market stuff has been passed by years ago. Now perhaps the VX-7 is the answer, don't know as I haven't looked through one but I understand they offer a nice view. Regardless comparing a VX-II or III to much of the competition (speaking of Euros here) is not a level playing field and that is the very concept that you fail to embrace.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nobody makes my list of good, all around scopes when they have an eye relief of 3.5 inches or less and use the euro, non locking focusing system. E

As biased as you are, I doubt if anyone cares about "your list". You habitually misrepresent the facts and blatantly lie with regularity. I think you're probably a pretty smart guy, but a chronic liar.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ed Brown recommends and uses swarovski PH or z series on heavy kickers

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, better optics, better tracking, better daylight performance and better night time performance. How's that?

The S&B 1.1x4 Zenith Flashdot I have been shooting for the last year or so may well be the best glass on the market, bar none. The beam splitter technology allows amazing performance and speed from the hottest, brightest West Texas days all the way down to nights that are darker than pitch.

The Nightforce I have been tinkering with is pretty good in bright daylight but cannot compete with S&B when it gets dark.

Try one.

SS

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every time I see something that illistrates this so called "far exceeds" in performance, I discover I've been doing that and more for quite sometime now with my Leupolds.

It's called a basis for comparison. You don't have one.

E reminds me of the type of guy who will say his car is just as fast, handles and stops as well yours after you�ve explained its power to weight ratio, CG height, width, suspension, tires and brakes and the time you have with it at the track�.

�Mine accelerates hard too�Corners? I�ve been going around corners for 53 years, my car goes around corners just fine without that fancy stuff�its brakes work so good I skidded a tire once!...and I�m an awesome driver!�

Luckily for cars we have these things called racetracks. A full tank of BS won�t do you any good there. If you ever get such a person to the track, it doesn�t take long after seeing they�re 30 seconds or so slower per lap that a lightbulb goes on. They finally have a basis of comparison. Sure, their car might �accelerate hard� but after getting walked on the front straight they realize everything is relative. After seeing cars come upon them like they�re standing still in the corners they realize that while they may have been going around corners for 53 years, that doesn�t mean it can�t be done better. They begin to realize while they might be an �awesome driver� they still have plenty to learn�.

But E is the type who will refuse to ever go to the track. Won�t even look through the scopes his are �just as good as.� Sometimes living in your own fantasy world is more comfortable. He can continue to claim his Honda with a big muffler is a Corvette Killer�and as long as he avoids ever lining them up, he can continue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JonA
Every time I see something that illistrates this so called "far exceeds" in performance, I discover I've been doing that and more for quite sometime now with my Leupolds.

It's called a basis for comparison. You don't have one.

E reminds me of the type of guy who will say his car is just as fast, handles and stops as well yours after you�ve explained its power to weight ratio, CG height, width, suspension, tires and brakes and the time you have with it at the track�.

�Mine accelerates hard too�Corners? I�ve been going around corners for 53 years, my car goes around corners just fine without that fancy stuff�its brakes work so good I skidded a tire once!...and I�m an awesome driver!�

Luckily for cars we have these things called racetracks. A full tank of BS won�t do you any good there. If you ever get such a person to the track, it doesn�t take long after seeing they�re 30 seconds or so slower per lap that a lightbulb goes on. They finally have a basis of comparison. Sure, their car might �accelerate hard� but after getting walked on the front straight they realize everything is relative. After seeing cars come upon them like they�re standing still in the corners they realize that while they may have been going around corners for 53 years, that doesn�t mean it can�t be done better. They begin to realize while they might be an �awesome driver� they still have plenty to learn�.

But E is the type who will refuse to ever go to the track. Won�t even look through the scopes his are �just as good as.� Sometimes living in your own fantasy world is more comfortable. He can continue to claim his Honda with a big muffler is a Corvette Killer�and as long as he avoids ever lining them up, he can continue.

+1 , Reminds me of what ol' Big Stick said once: "Done it beats Thinkin it" ...................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

215 members (320090T, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 22 invisible), 1,229 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.