I too have experienced bullet failure with the 150gr corelock. I did most of my deer hunting in WI and MN and am a firm believer in 180gr RN's in 30 cal for deer in the forest.

I moved to WA and picked up a nice little 99 in 308 and couldn't find a box of 180 RN anywhere. I bought some 150 Corelocks and sighted in with them and flew back to WI for a hunt.

1st deer a nice 8 point at 10 ft, a perfect broadside shot to the chest, I was so stunded that the deer didn't show a sign of being hit I didn't even think to shoot again. Upon checking the piont of impact I found a little hair and specks of blood in the snow. I followed the trail (no blood) for 100yds and started to see gloobs of blood but not like running from a wound. Another 40yds and I found the buck laying in the snow dead, I thought another hunter had shot it as it looked like large exit wound on the side of the deer my entrance should have been. Upon close exam my bullet had exploded on the surface and only shards of the jacket had penatrated between the ribs and tore up the lungs enough to drown him in his own blood the strange globs of blood were coughed up as there was no evidence of blood loss from the wound which was about the side of a desert plate.

2nd deer that day a medium doe at about 20yds head on shot at the base of the throat, no penetration to the chest cavity but left a crater about the size of a softball, with fist size chunk blown out of the windpipe.

I have since switched back to 180's and am back to great bullet performance. I gave the rifle to my nephew 5 yrs ago and he is doing just fine with the 180's

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders