Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I have booked a hunt for elephant and buffalo for later this year. I was conversing with the PH about what other kinds of game might be shot and he mentioned hippo and crocodile. He said it might be possible to get a 14' to 15' crocodile.

My question is what do you do with a crocodile trophy. What do you keep to show off? I certainly don't have 15' of space for a full body mount and a head mount, like an antelope, seems ludicrous. Do you keep the skull like a bear or a lion? Do you put the skin on the floor or what?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well lets see.. I have crocodile shoes, a crocodile belt....

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm hunting crocodile this year in Zambia. My plan is to take plenty of great photos so that I can come up with a quality 11"x14" enlargement to frame and put up in my office. I also plan to have the skull shipped home.

If the safari company I'm hunting with wants to salvage the skin and sell it or make soemthing out of it, they can have at it. I'm not going to pay to ship it home or do anything with it myself.

The first time I hunted hippo, my PH advised me to forget about a shoulder mount and just ship home the skull. That proved to be great advice, and I have that hippo skull placed in it's own corner on the floor in my reloading room. It's dramatic, yet it's not in the way of anything else. I did that with my giraffe, too.

I'm hunting hippo again this year, and I'm going to donate that skull to a local university......

AD

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by allenday
I did that with my giraffe, too.
AD

They are great converation pieces! Everyone knows what it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I saw an interesting fullmount a while ago, and if your short of room, it might be suitable. The guy had asked to taxidermist to set it up like a giant gekko that he could mount on the wall of his house. - It sounds a bit odd, but I have to say, I thought it looked good.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have no personal experience with Crocs, but at the SCI show in Reno I saw a taxidermy mount of a croc coming out of the water and snapping at a Baboon that was mounted hanging from a tree (if I'm remembering correctly). It was pretty neat and was mostly a "vertical mount", meaning that it didn't take up much floor space. This mount used the full body of the croc with just his lower half lying horizontally below the "water". However, I'm sure such a mount could be done just as nicely with just the upper half of the body so that it wouldn't take up much room. Of course, something like this would be much more spendy than just the skull, but if you like good taxidermy, it would be much cooler IMO.
Test

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like nice taxidermy and the croc presents a dilemma due to the size. A nice option if you could plan a trophy room with a sunken floor. Not very practical but could you imagine a crock placed as if it is under water and you could walk over it. Would be spooky.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
At the Harrisburg Sportsman show last year they had a full mount. It was swimming upwards with it's mouth open.

Then they had poured a clear acrylic water surface above. Then their was a full mount warthog above the water. The croc was essentially swimming up to eat the warthog.

My African Taxidermist was there and we went to look at it together. He said $3,000, but he thought shipping might be another $1,000. I thought $3k was a bargain for a full mount croc and warthog. This had some substantial woood scene to go with it to support everything.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen mounts like these at sportsman's shows. They are very cool. $3000 does sound cheap considering the size of a croc and the complexity of the mount.

Kevin Haile
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a really good friend that has a 14' croc vertical snapping at a duiker(sp) just on the edge of water. The mount was 12k. Awesome mount, but it came at a price.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I can do a croc half mount coming out of the water after what ever animal you would like with splash and all.

It would be mostly vertical about the size of a coffee table.

I'm doing some work for safariman now so I can show you some pic's of my work and his comments.

Email me if you would like to work something out.
swgartswgart.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've done Skull mounts of gators; they don't look half bad.

Tact is knowing how to tell someone to go to hell, and have them thank you for it.

NRA Life Member, BAA Life Member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How about getting a luggage builder to use it to cover a complete 5-piece set of luggage, including a briefcase?

My dad had an elephant hide briefcase that he finally got tired of carrying, but showed no sign of wear. Croc isn't that tough, but looks nice. Mom has a set of black croc luggage.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have no experience with African game mounts but I have a few birds of prey among others. What I've found is the big "impressive" mounts i.e. a Golden Eagle in winter scene on a jackrabbit. Big glass case in cherry wood top and bottom. Quite impressive but it really gets old quick. I have a few owls and hawks just wall mounted on antlers and grift wood, they look as good or better to me. What I'm saying is some times less is better.

JIm

Just my opinion ......and I have so few.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What to do with a crocodile?

Leave it alone.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Build a moat around the house & run the croc around it on a track. It should cut down on the crackpots coming to your door selling religion, snakeoil or politics.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm hunting a gator in Florida in Oct. & made a few calls & Internet searches. I found a firm that would tan a full gator skin w/head for $500-700 depending on size, of course. I was going to just do a skull mount but now I am rethinking. I have found skins to be quite cheap if tanned in Africa. Would be kind of neat to have a 14-15' crock in a trophy room.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
If I had a 14' croc in a trophy room, I would probably not have a wife in the house! ;-)

Last edited by IndyCA35; 03/02/08.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Make some cowboy boots, belts, and a briefcase from the croc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you see Crocodile Dundee? Pretty snappy vest he's got there. That and anything left over for a rifle scabbard.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1234, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,821
Posts18,516,710
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.