Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
hunting first with small daypack setups , more serious later, esp as I moved into the mountains.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Do any of you hunters go very light with smaller pack, no tent or sleeping bag, just bivouac at the end of the day wherever you end up? I've often thought of this but haven't yet.

I just combined backpacking and hunting when I started bow hunting about ten years ago. Like some one else said I did it to save the five mile hike into elk country from the end of the road each day.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hunted first in areas where backpacking served no real purpose but also became interested in backpacking as a separate activity. Now that I'm in Colorado, the two mesh nicely.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do any of you hunters go very light with smaller pack, no tent or sleeping bag, just bivouac at the end of the day wherever you end up? I've often thought of this but haven't yet.

When I lived in Fairbanks, I remember a friend's 18 year old son (did a sheep hunt solo theat way one time. He just slept in his clothes. One morning he woke up after the rain turned to snow and his clothes were frozen stiff.

He said he fought his way out of the pants and hiked in his skivvies with the pants tied to his pack until they thawed out. Must have been quite a sight! He did shoot a ram though.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a hunter first.I didn't start backpacking hunting till i took up archery hunting about 6 years ago.Now I can't get enough backpacking in.I have started my kids on backpacking and every summer we do a few backpack trips.
BBJ

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
loading up the packs to take the boys to America, we're gonna do some around these parts.

http://www.havasupaitribe.com/waterfalls.html

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Is that planned for spring break? Should be freaking awesome! Of course we'll expect a full report. Oh, and take a dang camera, willya? smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh one more thing to add to the list!

Tks Mike!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The only time I backpack is when I want to hunt some out of the way place.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
1akhunter,

I did that very same Havasupai Falls trip back during spring break 1970. It was awesome! I hadn't even seen the Grand canyon before that. You can read all you want about the Grand Canyon, memorize how deep it is, how far it stretches, all the geological facts, see it in pictures posters and movies, but nothing prepares you for standing on the rim at sunrise, it just takes your breath away.

And that hike down into the Havasupai is the closest I've ever come to a "Lost Horizons" Shangrila experience.

BTW, I lived in Fairbacks from 1974-78 was last there in 79 but am returning this summer to judge a retriever field trial. My best friend Dave still lives there, he and his wife Maureen raised two great kids and put them both through UAF, his daughter is getting her MA in comminication this spring.

Last edited by Glacier_John; 02/28/08.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ironbender

When I lived in Fairbanks, I remember a friend's 18 year old son (did a sheep hunt solo theat way one time. He just slept in his clothes. One morning he woke up after the rain turned to snow and his clothes were frozen stiff.

He said he fought his way out of the pants and hiked in his skivvies with the pants tied to his pack until they thawed out. Must have been quite a sight! He did shoot a ram though.

Thats why you carry a space blanket. I actually made a special rucksack that I still use. It has a ripstop nylon extension that allows you to use the ruck sack as a half bag with your feet down in the bottom of the pack and the collar pulled up about mid chest. I've used it a few times and it helps keep you warm enough in snow conditions to sleep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tis why I now have a sueded type fanny/daypack combo

a few more bits of gear sure make an overnighter much more pleasant.

poncho being one of em if it's raining.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hunter first.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunted deer for 10 years (since the age of 12) without ever considering a backpack an essential piece of gear. Then I picked up a used EMS frame pack as a "just in case" piece of equipment. That Fall I packed out my first ever whitetail deer, boned out, and my perspective changed.

Over ten years after that first hump out of the river canyon in Idaho and only now I am beginning to realize the potential of carrying camp on my back.

Needless to say if it wasn't for hunting, I wouldn't consider backpacking.

Theres a land where the mountains are nameless
And the rivers all run God knows where;
There are lives that are erring and aimless
And deaths that hang by a hair.
There�s a land�oh, it beckons and beckons
And I want to go back�and I will
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That's a great idea for a ruck! Also, in the right weather window, I think it'd be no big deal to go super-ultra light and sleep in what one is wearing, but my gear selection is governed (probably too much) by the "what if" school of thought.

The kid I mentioned did not get "caught out". That was his plan! He didn't know that it couldn't be done! laugh He took 1 nalgene of water and some sandwiches. Both were gone pretty quickly. He survived, brought out his ram - head, hide, and meat, and learned A LOT!

Oh, to be young and dumb! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
At least he was packing light.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
loading up the packs to take the boys to America, we're gonna do some around these parts.

http://www.havasupaitribe.com/waterfalls.html

I hope one day I can make it down there, it looks like it could be one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"use the ruck sack as a half bag"

Used to use an Army wet weather bag as a half-bag, pretty effectively (well, kept my feet warm anyway).

I also remember that many large daypack mountaineering bags (2000-3000ci) with the long extendable collar on top could be used for that purpose, by design, at least according to friends who were serious mountaineers.

Funny that use - an internal frame pack as a half-bag - has never come up on this or other backpack hunting forums, at least that I've seen.

Last edited by JRaw; 02/28/08.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted by Glacier_John

I always carry a small bivy for this reason. And on a few occasions, hunkered under a tree when I got into the critters just before dark. It doesn't make for a comfortable night. But it works. This is also a good time to take one benedryl and a melatonin. It's non-narcoticic, and will help you sleep when you aren't comfy, without knocking you out.

One of my old TNF bags had an extra long collar on it, and I've spent a couple n ights with my feet jammed in the bag and my rain jacket overlapping on the top. Again not ideal but it works.

I have scored on several elk that I spot at last light, by just listening to where they go throughout the night, and getting them in the morning.

Last edited by Quaka Wacka; 02/28/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started backpacking at 11 and hunting at 13. Rarely combined them until the last 10 years.

"I have scored on several elk that I spot at last light, by just listening to where they go throughout the night, and getting them in the morning."

I find I can put my camp pretty close ( < 200 yds.) to where I plan to be in the morning as long as it is a stealth camp. Sometimes a stream and a few trees is all it takes to make the elk comfortable with you being there.

The Bill of Rights is just that. It is not the Bill of Needs as determined by some liberal know it all.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often for precisely the same reason.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lessdog, 1234, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10ring1, 204guy, 37 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,856
Posts18,517,676
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.