Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Of course by a male.

Long story short: I have this delightful male French Brittany that is A++ in hunting and eager to please but as most F.B. is rather soft. So today is nothing unusual; he's in the house and at some point unattended and he has lifted his leg.....fortunately on the same corner of some dark furniture. So I sprayed the corner with an 'Order Elimator' and before hand I brought him to the spot and he imediately started to sulk. I put his nose in the area and said "NO". His brown eyes looked at me like, "I'm sorry but I couldn't help".

I am 100% sure that if you've bonded with a dog like I have he fully understands the deal. Rather than beat him up and ruin our association I went this way. I've found that dogs respond so much better with a non harsh treatment that it's a good clue.

I've been rough with him before and I've gone backwards. Any of you found the same?????

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thats 1 reason why I believe animals are supposed to live outside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've gone both ways, stubborn dogs like my hounds never set foot inside any human habitation.

My GSP is the sharpest learning dog I've ever owned. He would have done the same as your explaination. One thing, I have come to believe is that if you don't catch them in the act, and you scold them even seconds later they don't seem to click with the cause of the problem.

I'm of the opinion, caught in the act and dicipline, or even a moment later they escape any kind of punishment. Otherwise they don't seem to connect the bad behaviour and why they are in trouble.

I buddy of mine took his lab and rubbed his nose in the dirt where he had been digging. It may have been the previous day or an hour ago. I kinda felt for the lab. I doubt he had any idea what he was in trouble for.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
JJ,

Your comments are right on. You have to catch a dog in the act....even more than 3 seconds later and it's too late. IMO, a dog belongs in a house, NOT kept outside like you'd do with a horse, pig, etc.

I feel sorry for a dog that's not brought into its best friend's home. What a life that must be and people wonder why some dogs are easier to train than others. Hello crazy

My F.B. is 5 years old and he just has done this twice in his life. He deserves a break and I'll watch him like a hawk....even set him up to get him to try. Then problem will be solved....because he's bonded with me by being in the house everyday. I've had dogs that have been alone in the house all day and never done this but they were females. I'll get the problem solved and the good dog will continue to make some mistakes for the rest of his life....just like us and we learn from the mistakes and go on. Same with dogs if they're smart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Location and immediacy is the key to reinforcement, both positive and negative.

A dog should be corrected or rewarded at the time and place where his behavior occurred.

If you catch him in the act, but he's across the room/house and by the time you get to him he's moved away from the spot, you should grab him firmly, bring him back to the spot where the behavior occurred, and reinforce immediately.

If he JUST did it, and you correct him 20-feet away, or even worse, in another room, you're missing the boat, is what I'm sayin'.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Just piss higher on the furniture so he knows who's the Alpha in the house.... smirk

Or stick with females from now on.... laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The old "Twist-em on the pecker" trick works., but you have to remember to take it off when his eyes start to bulge. Seriously, why don't you let him out when he has to pee? Most dog's let you know when that is.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by RickBin
Location and immediacy is the key to reinforcement, both positive and negative.

A dog should be corrected or rewarded at the time and place where his behavior occurred.
If you catch him in the act, but he's across the room/house and by the time you get to him he's moved away from the spot, you should grab him firmly, bring him back to the spot where the behavior occurred, and reinforce immediately.

Right on the money, timing is everything.

Tom 264- I completely disagree. A dog is a social animal, a pack animal and keeping them outside goes against the very nature they were bred to be. EVERY DOG'S full potential will never be fully reached if it is ostracized from it's pack (you).

Last edited by LostHighway; 03/04/08.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by LostHighway
A dog is a social animal, a pack animal and keeping them outside goes against the very nature they were bred to be. EVERY DOG'S full potential will never be fully reached if it is ostracized from it's pack (you).

I agree. Not to mention you miss out on some of the most perfect companionship that God ever laid a finger on!!! smile

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marking is in my opinion the most difficult behavior to change, because it is so innate. We have some problems whenever there is a change in the family, new furniture, new dog, etc.

All you can do is set them up for failure, and make a big impression when they start to lift their legs. It's dominance behavior, and with a soft dog, that just makes it harder to fix. JMO, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've got 9 French-Brits and you're right about the A++ as hunters. As for being soft, it seems to vary. My original boy is as stubborn and smart as they come. I had him boarded for some training, and a year later when we met with the trainer, the little devil stood by my side and peed on my leg. That got a laugh because one of the handlers at the show has a champion dog that allways pees on his leg before entering the show ring.

Two times in 5 years. That's not too bad for any male dog IMO. I wonder what trigger the oops. BTW my dogs are inside dogs.

S
S
RUB THER NOSE IS THE PISS AND BEAT THERE HIDES IT ONLY TAKES ONCE 4 ME MAYBE IT WILL WORK 4 U TOO

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My large Munsterlander pup started to lift his leg on the furniture(he's 10 months old yesterday) I watched him like a hawk for days till I caught him in the act, at which point I went straight over grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and just above the tail on the back yelled no bad dog took him to the back door and put him outside.Large Munsterlanders are notoriously soft and this one lesson has cured him of it,he hasn't done it now in 4 months!My dog stays in the house his bed is right next to my wife and I's bed,the bond between us make3s all the difference in the world in his behavior and training.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
idahochukar2 I have a dog that if given the chance would do that in the house I have found that my dog will never piss where it sleps so I never leave it along in the house. If I leave the dog goes into its cage. when I come home it gets let outside rite away to go. when I go to slept at nite the dog goes in the cage all nite, It's not punishment the dog lays in there half of the time on its own. Here is a picture of my dog and my cat. [img][IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/killahog/tonyscat001.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by killahog; 03/05/08.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by killahog
Here is a picture of my dog and my cat. [img][IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/killahog/tonyscat001.jpg[/img][/img]

I don't have anything against cats but OH MY GOD was that funny!!! laugh laugh

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
All of you are right on save the folks who don't keep their dog inside with them at times during the day or night. They are just too fantastic to leave out in the kennel.....as nearly all agree.

Yep, you have to catch 'em in the act but this guy is 5 years old and he's only hit the furniture of late. I'm back to keeping him in my sight 100% of the time. He has lots of chances to pee outdoors so it's not that he has to 'go' really bad.

Here's a picture of him. How could a person not love this great hunting companion?

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by idahochukar2
Here's a picture of him. How could a person not love this great hunting companion?

[Linked Image]

That is one beautiful Brittany!! I don't recall ever seeing one that looks like that. What's the scoop on your pup??

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
;)Nebraska,
There are two breeds of Brittanys actually....one is what most of us have seen all of our lives. It used to be called an "American Brittany" but no longer. The orange/white type we all have seen is now called just a "Brittany".

Long story short: the American Brittany has been bred in this country to the point of changing it enough from its original type which is the French Brittany. In the rest of the world the French Brittany comes in different colors including the orange/white type. The easiest clue to recognize a French Brittany is its head shape although many "Brittanys" are very close in head conformation. Diamond Lil, one of the greatest of late "Brittanys" has a head shape that is far from what it is suppose to be but she's a grand dog....no doubt about that. However if she was put in a European Trial she'd not be allowed to run because of the coke bottle head she has.

Today the "Brittany" in America tends to very often not conform to the original conformation standards even though they are suppose to be the same size. This is where competition in Field Trials has won over to having no conformation exam before entering competition. In all other countries the French Brittany is competed ONLY AFTER IT PASSES THE CONFORMATION EXAM. They ideally are suppose to be 'cobby' or square like in body. Some types of horses are cobby so maybe you know what I'm talking about.

And thanks for the kind words. This dog has been examined for Hip Dysplasia (which is a problem with this breed) and he's rated as a 'B' which makes him a canidate for a stud dog. I've been asked to breed him with other French Brittanys but they haven't had a HD exam and I've passed on it.

I guess you could say the French Brittany in Europe and elsewhere is used most often to hunt small private parcels of land and therefor they are not suppose to run big like so many "Brittanys" have been bred to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My lab sleeps in bed with me......She follows every where I go and when we leave the house we put up a child gate and she sleeps in my room on the king size bed. She just sleeps and waits for me to get home and let her out....couldn't fathom not having her in the house and interacting with the family.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My first wife did that. I just smacked her with a rolled up new paper.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 42 invisible), 11,525 guests, and 1,550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,034
Posts18,540,653
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.