-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Incredible rifle Rick.....You Ultra-light rifle [bleep] are about to cost me some money....In fact you already have! Hoping to add to the Ultra-light rifle blueprints shortly!!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RickF- I like it! Just curious if you weighed the action before/after having it slabbed?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

Here's the best advice you'll get all day. Buy a M700 LSS in the caliber you like. Assuming the barrel is a good one, sell the laminated stock. Put the barreled action in an EDGE.

You're within a half pound of this rifle and saved over a thousand bucks.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
RickF- I like it! Just curious if you weighed the action before/after having it slabbed?

I can't remember, I had the metal work almost 2 years ago.

It wouldn't have saved more than 3 oz or so, but slabbing at least was cheap, $80 or so. That's why the bolt isn't fluted, for the sake of an ounce I couldn't justify it. More than getting lighter it LOOKS lighter.

[Linked Image]

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Very nice!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks! It surely looks great! Now if I could just talk myself into spending the money on a 3pos wing safety (to match the one on my MKII) I'd be set on a Remington.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickF
Thanks.

Here's the best advice you'll get all day. Buy a M700 LSS in the caliber you like. Assuming the barrel is a good one, sell the laminated stock. Put the barreled action in an EDGE.

You're within a half pound of this rifle and saved over a thousand bucks.

To late...(grin) already have a .532" Ti on the way!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That'll work too! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fine looking rifle, RickF. Well done!!

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Blueprint:

Action: Savage 16 LH--Detachable Box Magazine.

Stock: McMillan Classic Gap Camo (RickBin).

Chamber: 308 Win-Match.

Barrel: PacNor 23 Inch #3 Contour Stainless Super Match.

Color: Cerrakate (Armor Black) by CAS: http://www.riflestockpainting.com/

Optics: Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III with Boone and Crockett (from RickBin).

Mounts: Talley Lightweights--Low (again RickBin).

Balance: RIght in front of the fronth action screw--PERFECT.

Nickname: S.O.S. Which stands for "Serious Old Savage"--A serious working rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 03/07/08.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Remington 700 CM SA
Rock Creek M24 Contour chambered in .308 and finished at 26"
Smithed by Harold Fredd
Bolt work by Karl
McMillan A5 Desert Camo
Williams Bottom Metal
Burris Xtreme bases and rings (mediums)
Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50 Illuminated TMR

First range trip shooting Black Hills Match 175gr Match...oh yeah, that's at 200 yards.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Remington 700 SS SA
Rock Creek #3 Contour 1:10 twist 21"
McMillan Compact painted olive
Factory "stainless" bottom metal
Talley Lightweights
Leupold FXIII 6x42 w/No. 4 reticle
Weighs 7lbs 10ozs
Smithed by Harold Fredd

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Rem 700 S/A CM CeraKote Graphite Black
Factory BDL bottom metal
Fluted bolt by Twisted barrel.com
GreTan alloy shroud, GreTan alloy/SS firing pin
RifleBasix Trigger at 2.25lbs
Lilja #2 SS, 260Rem at 22"
McM Mtn Rifle 50% Olive or Dark Green 25% Dark Brown, 25% Black
Marinetex Bedding
1" Decelerator
Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40
Talley Alloy-Lows
7lbs, 5oz as pictured

MtnHtr

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

This rifle started off as a Charles Daly LEFT HAND smile action. I had a buddy of mine put on the Douglas barrel cut to 23" & chamber it for 35 Whelen. I then sent it to Gentry for one of his left hand 3 position safeties. I wrapped it all up along with a great chunk of Turkish walnut that I bought here from Ray Atkinson and took the works to Gary Stiles a gunmaker who loves working on mausers.

Gary Put on a new bolt with a nicer angle then the original. It also has 3 checkered panels. He got rid of the push button magazine release & made a new, in the trigger release that is much cleaner in appearance than the original. He smoothed up the action & made it feed perfectly. I now know what CRF is supposed to feed like. None of my Winchesters feed this way, they all push the cartridge along for 1/2" before it snaps behind the claw. My mauser goes from the magazine to the claw....no free wheeling at all. Gary added Talley quick release rings & I have a Talley peep sight to use as back up should a scope go bad on a hunt. I also had him install a NECG Banded front sight. For blueing I went with a matte finish.

Garys stock work is truly a work of art. The stock is classic & trim. Checking is 24 LPI in a Fler de Le (sp?) pattern. The inletting looks like it was done with a laser.

I have shot this rifle at the range with some extra boxes of factory ammo I had around. I will be working up some hand loads this spring. It has to be ready for elk season this fall! I will be using 250 grain Nosler Partitions.

The Left Hand Daly action worked better than I could have imagined for a custom. I have another action with Gary now that will eventually be my "mountain rifle". But that rifle is a ways off. For now....I will have to enjoy the whelen.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WJU, Awesome gun. I have the same action(LH also), laying here. Not sure which route I want to go. What does the whole rig weigh? Again, very nice. Tom

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The whole thing ready to go, scope & all is just a bit over 8 lbs. To have a left handed mauser is a dream. I am glad that I bought my actions when I did. I will pick any up I run across in the future. They clean up well. This action feeds like a dream & is super slick.

When I first thought of this project I was just goung to get a synthetic or lami stock. Have a quick hunter. But NO ONE offers over the counter stocks for a left hand mauser. McMillian would make one but it was going to run about $600. I thought about it and decided to take advantage of the walnut blanks I had and go for my first full blown custom. I am pleased with the end result.

Last edited by WJU; 03/17/08.
TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hear you about stock selection. Other than McM, MPI also can make one. About the same price though. Glad to hear about the action cleaning up the way it did. I must have worked mine about 500 time so far. Hard to tell if it's better or not but it is still not the smoothest. Still debating on what caliber. A 30-06 makes the most sense to me, but then again lefty 6's are easy to get. Am thinking 280 or 9.3x62. Depends on which day of the week it is. Really was leaning towards the 9.3, but I already have a LH M70 338. A little over lape there. 280 makes the most sense for me, but when does that ever have anything to do with it. A mauser kind of screams for a metric caliber. Tom

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I feel your pain! I am torn between a 7x57 & 280 for my second action. it will be built as a light(er) weight mountain rifle. Like a cross between the Winchester Featherweight & the old mauser pattern "B".

I agree about wanting to do something different. You cabn always run across left handed 06s & 270s.

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What kind of specs are you looking at for the light rifle? Barrel, stock, etc.?

WJU Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The barrel will be a custom contour by Gary Stiles. It will be half round & half octagon. It will be made trim, but will not be a flyweight. Looks are important in this project. I am looking for "a lighter" rifle, not really fly weight. Besides, I am starting with a mauser, far from being the lightest action. The barrel will be made like this one that is in the white. It will be cut to 22"

[Linked Image]

The stock will be done in a similar manor as the picture above. A cross between the mauser pattern B & the Winchester featherweight stock. Schnabel forend & all. Very trim with the same open grip that Gary used on my Whelen.

I am looking at getting the rifle in the 7 lb + range. Plenty easy for me to carry all day.

It will have bottom metal from an old mauser with trim trigger guard & the lever magazine release. Looks great! And it will save a bit of weight.

I will have the same 3 position safety added, along with a new bolt.

My goal is a calassic "mountain rifle" that would look as if it were made 70 years ago. Somthing that I could never find over the counter in a left hand gun.

Page 10 of 32 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,830
Posts18,477,961
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.