-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one; just never found use for it.

I turned away from the heated, floor-less shelter thing, so that may weight on my decision to avoid axes/saws.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I always have some type of small saw in my pack, whether it be for dressing game or cutting firewood/branches as necessary.
Always thought I should have a hatchet in my pack, but never have seen one that I liked. A heavier knife in my pack has done the chores for making kindling when I've neededd it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Blkram- Ever look at a Gransfors Mini?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a saw on my swiss army hunter. barely use it.

I always keep a notebook when I go out. What gets used is noted and what doesn't is noted, too. The saw/hatchet got whacked real early and have never been needed since; not relative to dressing game, of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use one of the Gerber folding saws with a bone blade an a wood blade, it does it all for me, horn removal, cutting of firewood when feasible, its just plain handy and weighs like 7oz.Its always in my pack.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ken if you're using a stove, I can see the point.

I've not encompassed the stove into my serious bping pursuits.

most of the time the max duration for those is going to be 10 days tops.

now for other modes of transportation, i.e. boat, raft, airplane almost anything other than shanks mare, I love a tipi with a stove,
then a saw and small axe are almost always along for the ride.

for trips of 10 days or less, when everything I will need, plus the game I have to haul out will be carried upon my back, I've just never been able to justify
the weight penalty of the fold up wood burners versus a snowpeak titanium and a couple of fuel canisters.

If I ever get to the point where I can shoot the alarm clock and burn the calendar, I think a guy would be well served with the para setup and small stove, you could stay out for a long time.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Randy , If you ever want to test drive that set up let me know .I'll send you my paratipi and small stove. We'll talk about what its gonna cost you later though. grin

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Peartinis for the house!???

have got an 8 man, and ? med stove, or my pard does so that's just as good as me having one. (grin) and love the thing, specially since I got him to finally USE the stove. lmao

he/we also have a new boat, he better have that thing ready to drop in the water come May for my test drive.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Wyoming Saw in the pack. For Elk antlers.

Clearing trail,on Horseback Dandy saw like so:

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-42678.html

Theres a land where the mountains are nameless
And the rivers all run God knows where;
There are lives that are erring and aimless
And deaths that hang by a hair.
There�s a land�oh, it beckons and beckons
And I want to go back�and I will
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rock thats a big azz saw lol

you have any experience with the 12" mini dandy saw?
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-42676.html

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jason,
I like edged weapons and tools..:)
I like pruning shears and pruning saws too..:)

Now what I carry hunting elk, blacktail, bear-lion?

This Roman axe offered by A.G.Russel.

Do a search for 'Roman axe' and you;ll see it.Rings like a bell, great wood great steel and sharp enough to shave with.
Swedish steel, Italian craftsmanship by Fox, light..and works well on meat..:)..or bone..

The Grandfors axes are fine as well..I won't tell you how many axes and hatchets I have and use..:)Jim

as an edit. the smaller Gerber folding saws work well IF you need to saw the top of the skull off for an antler only mount on a deer or elk.J.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Jim-
Is this what you're carrying while hunting?

[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'm guessing this is what you carry! smile Mo' betta that the "battle" axe above! It's a handled ulu!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ironbender; 03/03/08.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ken999,
Haven't looked at the Gransfors Mini. Hadn't even heard of them before reading this thread. Will look them up.

Ironbender,
That looks like a handy little axe.
Is Fox the model or the brand?
Does it come with a leather sheath?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I was looking for what Jim mentioned. I searched for "Roman axe+A.G.Russel" That's what I found. When Jim gets back on this thread, he'll probably fill in the details.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I always have the Dandy 12" saw and either the Gransfors Wildlife hatchet or Gransfors small Forest axe depending on how long I will be out. But keep in mind, a short stay in the bush for me is usually at least a week, so I get good use out of these tools. If I was to go out for just the weekend or a few days, I would probably get a folding saw, like the Corona that everyone is raving about, and maybe carry the Gransfors mini hatchet, just maybe. I dont have one, but I know everyone seems to love them. I checked it out at the store one day, and just couldnt get over how small it is, I know if your counting ounces, which I always do, it's important to shave weight everywhere you can, but that Gransfors mini, looked just to mini for me. I guess everyone weighs the weight of an object versus the performance of the object and decides what will work best for them. For longer stays in the bush, I need something more full size when it comes to an axe and or hatchet. I think I might rather carry a big knife over the Gransfos mini, I dont normally carry a big knife (anything over 4.5"), but I do find them safer for chopping, and a big knife would probably have equal chopping abilities as the mini, plus the abilities of a knife. Anyways, just some thoughts.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ironbender, Yes that's the little A.G. Russel/Fox one pound Roman axe I use.
Shaving sharp, rings like a bell, well balanced, good wood and handle design..Priced very well considering the excellent quality and steel used.Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
El cheapo Coughlin Sierra Saw. 5.5 ounces, less than 10 inches closed.
[Linked Image]

If I were to take an axe/hatchet it would probably be a Gerber Back Axe. 17.5 ounces, 8.9 inches. But above saw suffices.
[Linked Image]

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jackfish, I live down the street from Gerber and have handled almost all their offerings..They make some great edged tools...but not all of them are great..:)

Believe me, the A.G.Russell Roman axe is far and away a better tool for butchering, survival. light camp work..or self defense than the Gerber..:)Weighs the same..and as I recall, less than 70.00.

Better steel, better edge, better ergonomics and weight distribution-heft..

I have heavier axes, hatchets for a variety of chores and tasks..but that little Fox/A.G.Russel is one of the best pack tools for the hunter-hiker I've ever found..Jim

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I dont carry a saw, But I do carry a hatchet. Im unsure of the maker but it is good steel an it takes and holds an edge. Due to its size there isnt alot of wieght to help it cut, so I keep it sharp.

Light enough to forget its there but handy enough for its inteded uses. My only complaint is the handle gets a little slick when yer hands are wet.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,285
Posts18,525,686
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.