Hop To
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
WOW !!!!!!

Whatta "difference" there is in the trigger pull now !!!

My gunsmith honed the regular trigger pull down to 2.75 pounds with just a tiny "hair" of creep and lightened the RSI's internal hammer somewhat as well. The Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger, in "set" position, feels like it "fires" with barely a "touch"... and with no creep at all.

At the net site, Kepplinger claimed that the Kepplinger Trigger "was adjustable from 1 pound to 3 pounds in set position", but there is NO WAY the Kepplinger Trigger in its "set" position is as heavy as "one pound" (16 oz.)... I'd judge the "pull-weight" to be no more than 4 to 6 OUNCES (if that much)... and, quite honestly, I have a pretty good "feel" for trigger-pull weights.

While I don't understand why the Kepplinger Trigger in "set" position is not within Kepplinger's specification, it's GREAT with me since, in its "set" position, it only takes a slight "touch" to fire the rifle, but requires a definite "pull" to fire the rifle in the "non-set" trigger position.

As soon as the 14 inches of snow we just got melts and the weather warms up, I'll be off to the rifle range to find out if the Kepplinger Trigger improved the accuracy enough to justify it's cost... but I have to say that I've never felt such a light, clean-breaking trigger on ANY rifle before.

The next "report" I post here about the Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger will be after I've had a chance to throughly test the new trigger and get some definite results. In fact, I am seriously considering going through the entire process of finding "THE" best load (testing various primers, various powders, the amount of powders and bullet-seating depths) for the RSI International once again now that I've got such a fine trigger on it.

Yes... I'm guessing that there will be THAT MUCH "difference" in how much better (smaller 3-shot groups) the little RSI will probably shoot.

More... later... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I look forward to the range report.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Don't forget, the Kepplinger trigger will not make your # 1 more accurate, but it will help you shoot it more accurate. The 4 to 6 ounces is normal, it can be adjusted up or down from that point with the screw that's in front of the trigger.

Another BIG help would be the light weight speed hammer, that will stop just about all muzzle jump when shooting off the bench.
SS

H
H
Both of these aftermarket items sound like worthy additions to the #1. Curious, when installing the Moulds lightweight hammer, what it the best method to install the lighter mainspring on the hammer strut (i.e., what is the best means to compress the spring and drift a pin or nail in to hold it in place?)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the 'specs' were 8 ounces set, per the one I had, but they are nice, no doubt and had I not sold my 243 RSI, I really wanted one.

My 6.5x55 on the other hand has a crisp 4 lb out the box pull which I think will do fine for hunting. It won't be used much on varmints and target shooting other than load work and practice so I think I'll leave it as is now. Never know down the road.....

IC B2

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Single Shot
Don't forget, the Kepplinger trigger will not make your # 1 more accurate, but it will help you shoot it more accurate. The 4 to 6 ounces is normal, it can be adjusted up or down from that point with the screw that's in front of the trigger.

Another BIG help would be the light weight speed hammer, that will stop just about all muzzle jump when shooting off the bench.
SS

Thanx for the "heads-up", S.S...

However, I'm aware the set trigger won't shoot any more accurately by itself, but I believe it will make the whole shooting procedure more accurate because it won't require at least 6 pounds of "pull" to fire the RSI now... and that much "pulling" on the trigger is bound to cause some "sight-displacement" by the time the trigger finally slips off the sear... and the hammer flies forward to strike the firing pin.

Thank you for letting me know that the 4 to 6 ounce trigger is "normal" with the Kepplinger set trigger in "set" position. Their claim is that the "set trigger is adjustable to from 1 to 3 pounds if installed properly".

I'm very sure my gunsmith has installed the trigger "properly"... and your post indicating that the 4 to 6 ounce "pull" I'm feeling is "normal" eliminates any fears I had that something wasn't "right".

I did have my gunsmith lighten the stock Ruger hammer a bit... but I didn't want to go to the expense of buying the light weight speed hammer until I can determine if the rifle will now give greater accuracy due to the lighter, more precise trigger pull due to the Kepplinger single-set trigger.

If accuracy doesn't improve very much, then my next move will in-all-likelihood be the Speed Hammer and new hammer spring that comes with the Speed Hammer. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt as to how nice the K triggers are, and it helps, but my 1A out the box 243 shot a 3/8 3 shot group at 100yds.....and my 1RSI 243 shot 1.25-1.75" 3shot at 200 yds w/factory ammo, both factory triggers, consistency with CLEAN break will surprise you when you 'de-train' yourself from lots of range work with light triggers, so yes, many factory guns have deplorable pulls that DO affect my shooting, the #1's have surprised me I think most in how well you CAN shoot them as they are crisp and consistent in MY ltd. experience ALBEIT often heavy in about 5-6 rifles out the box untouched.

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
65/BR.........

In case I've confused or seemingly mis-represented the little RSI's accuracy... I've already posted (in earlier posts in this Forum) that in working up loads using H4350 in conjunction with standard Winchester primers in "accurized" Remington cases, I believe I've found the "sweet spot" using H4350 powder in my RSI.

I've gotten several small 3-shot groups in the area of 47.2 grains to 47.6 grains of H4350 (Maximum load for MODERN rifles = 50.0 grains in the Speer #13 Reloading Manual) powder behind a 140 grain Sierra, flat-based, ProHunter bullet sparked by a standard Winchester large rifle primer.

One 3-shot group (at 50 yards) measured just .167 inches (47.2 grains) while another 3-shot group at 47.6 grains of H4350 gave a 3-shot group of just .169 inches at 50 yards with the 4-12x by 40mm scope set at "12x" and the parallax adjusted out of the scope at 50 yards... and this was with a smooth, but heavy 6 pound factory trigger with lotsa "creep".

With the Kepplinger single-set trigger set at just a few OUNCES, I firmly believe those groups will shrink considerably once I'm not "fighting" a creepy, heavy trigger that Ruger seemingly tends to put on ALL or 'most ALL of their firearms.

I have purchased 9 different Ruger firearms over the years... and, except for my old "3-screw" Super BlackHawk purchased back in the early 1960's, all of 'em had lousy triggers when I purchased them... and that INCLUDES the .22 rimfire stainless steel, compensator-equipped, bull-barreled, Mark II TARGET (!!!) pistol with the "Red-Dot" scope... a pistol SPECIFICALLY designed to shoot small groups in targets.

I obviously believe Ruger makes good, strong guns or I would not have purchased NINE of 'em, but their triggers leave a LOT to be desired. I can't imagine the mentality or the executive thinking it takes to put out a relatively expensive .22 TARGET pistol with the trigger mine had when I got it... a heavy, raspy, creepy 6 or 7 pound "monster" of a trigger that literally DARED the shooter to hit or keep his shots "in-the-black" at 25 yards off-hand!

While I can understand and sympathize with a firearms manufacturer who attempts to "lawyer-proof" their products, I believe Ruger carries that attempt a bit too far.

But that's ok... I have a fine gunsmith who "adjusts" the Ruger factory triggers for me... and I'm not "mad", but I have to wonder why anyone producing a firearm obviously designed for TARGET shooting would allow that firearm to leave the factory with such a horrible trigger on it.

Buttttttttt... that can be the subject of another "thread" for a different day. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do recall now the accuracy with your RSI, read in past, and that is GREAT shooting and rifle/load consistency! No doubt the K trigger is great, had one in my 6BR, shot a 1/2" group at 330 yds-3 shots, No way I'd expect to do that w/factory trigger, likewise, owned a 10/22, 77/22, 77's, and MK 2's myself several of them, done trigger jobs myself on many/most of them and agree they DO as MANY US mfg. have.......make HEAVY triggers which are COUNTER productive to accuracy, NO doubt. That said, I am HAPPY my 6.5x55 has a 4lb and not a heavier as one might expect trigger out the box. It is 'reasonable' but when a trigger pull approaches and/or exceeds gun weight, that is NOT acceptable and really makes one have to work hard/harder to not pull a shot whether hunting smaller game, large gamelong distances, and/or targets so I do not disagree with what you said.

Again, Very impressive results with your RSI, makes me wonder what my 243 COULD have done, but never enough time for me to truly explore the potential of many of the guns I once owned or currently use.

Thanks for the info.

R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I think one of the BIG "secrets" to good multi-shot accuracy with the RSI (full Mannlicher-style stock) is to allow the barrel to cool down almost completely between shots.

During the heat of the summer in bright sun... it takes my RSI about 12-15 minutes between individual single shots to cool off sufficiently. Such a long "waiting time" makes for a very long day at the "bench"... but I take another rifle and/or a pistol or two to pass the time between shots with the little RSI.

I had my gunsmith "do" the trigger on my Ruger Mark II, bull-barreled, stainless steel target pistol with the "red dot" scope sight, muzzle compensator and target hand-grips while he was installing the Kepplinger single-set trigger on my RSI... and he's got that trigger down to a fine edge... "crisp", with no creep at all.

I plan to take that pistol plus probably my very old customized Remington .22 rimfire rifle, which has a beautiful trigger, to the range with the RSI next time I go.

They should provide me with plenty of "fun shooting" in between the RSI's 7x57mm Mauser rounds. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think the factory visualizes these triggers as "cabin triggers". You can leave the rifle loaded and hang it on a nail outside your cabin (by the trigger) in complete safety. wink
It is not unusual for these triggers to be as heavy as the rifle.
Amazingly they can still be fired accurately but it takes a bit of effort.
They give me something to mess with in January!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
R
Ron_T Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hahahahahahahaha... "cabin trigger", eh?

Yep... that's about "right" ! But as bad as my RSI's trigger was, my Savage Model 99's trigger was even worse ! It was about as "heavy" as the whole darned CABIN !!! grin

You coulda "messed with" that trigger for all of January AND most of February... but my gunsmith got that one down to a very smooth, crisp 3 lbs. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 204guy, 56 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,894
Posts18,518,374
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.