Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
hi all. i am purchasing a remington 700 vtr in 308. i plan to shoot black hills 175 gr. match bullets if the shoot well. with that in mind, could you please give me some ideas on an appropriate tac-style riflescope to use with this rifle? my budget is under 600.00. i require absoultely repeatable finger-adjustable turrets (preferably, without covers). i don't want a adjustable objective, but i could live with a side-focus. my power range preference would be either a variable up to 14x or a fixed 10x. sunshades are not obligatory. thanks, for the help-keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
How dead set are you on the VTR?

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
well, i am set on it for a number of reasons. first, my dad works for remington so i get a pretty decent discount on it. so, it makes for a fairly affordable gun. second, i read some pretty good reviews on it. people have gotten good performance out of it. now, i take these with a grain of salt. i wasn't there afterall. i saw on some sites where people had shot 2 and 300 yard groups that were under an inch. let's face it, when a rifle shoots like that it is pretty special and they don't grow on trees. i was skeptical until a guy that works with my dad got one. i was there and not only witnessed it being shot, but shot it myself. i shot 3-3 shot groups that averaged 7/8 inch at a lasered 200 yards with federal gold medal 168 match. my only complaint to the rifle is that it has the ridiculous forend pressure point. i plan to glassbed and freefloat it as soon as i get it. so, vanimrod what have you heard? i am assuming something NEGATIVE? Please tell.......thanks, keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Hey, with a Dad that works for Remington, get whatever you want.

I was only asking as I have/had a PSS for sale, and was thinking.....

But, no, I haven't heard anything negative at all. Quite the contrary, actually. Damned things seem to shoot VERY well.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
thanks va. sorry, funds already on the way. i would have definetly thought about the pss. i am glad you haven't heard anything negative. i forgot to mention one other thing i like about the rifle. it only wears a 22 inch barrel. i live in ohio and we usually have to do a fair amount of walking to find the 'yotes and the groundhogs. so... if you want a tac-style or varmint gun you have to definetly consider barrel length and weight. how does the pss shoot? if i could also ask. did you have it scoped? what rings and base/s did you use. just posted the question on long range forum. forgot to ask here. with a new scope i will need a good set of rings and a 1 piece picatinny base. thanks for the help vanimrod, your posts are always helpful-keith

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't know if you can get if for under 600 but what about a leupold mark iv

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
well, i know i could get a mark 2 but probably not the mark 4. anybody, know much about the mark 2. in that model i would probably look at the 3-9 with mil-dot reticle. think you can get one for around 500.00? right now, i am open to any and all suggestions. thanks, keith

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I just bought an LTR in 223 and I currently have a gloss Leupold 3.5-10x40 mounted on it. I guess I'm being contrarian. laugh

If you don't want to do the parallax adjustment deal, then it's probably best to stay at or under 10x. How about picking up a used matte Leupold in the classifieds here and having it retrofitted with M1 turrets?

mathman

Last edited by mathman; 03/10/08. Reason: typo
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You might be able to find a used IOR for 600. They have a lifetime warranty so no worries there. Best glass you will find for the money or for more.

This one is 700. Might make him an offer. http://cgi.ebay.com/Valdada-4x14x50...714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by RickyD; 03/11/08.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got what's known as the Leupold Precision Rifle, or MK.4 PR scope in 3.5-10X40. Simple target knobs and no side focus or AO. I've had it on that rifle for about 14-15 yrs. Shot some really nice groups with it. Try 540 yds., squirrely wind from 8-15 mph est. west to east then NW to SE. Three shots, six inches, twice. Once from a bipod and once with a sling and a sitting position. Or 300 yds., prone over pack with sling. .87 inches. The rifle is a tweaked 700 VSFS in .308.
If I were to do it again, considering I wanted a variable for hunting, I'd go with the Mk.2 in whatever I could get, a 3-9X40 or a 3.5-10X40. Mine has a Mil-Dot. Lots of fun and helps to make quick wind calls, but gets lost on dark twilight conditions.
Another option is the 10X Super Sniper Tasco from SFWA. About $300. E

IC B3

A
A
Originally Posted by ohiohunter
hi all. i am purchasing a remington 700 vtr in 308. i plan to shoot black hills 175 gr. match bullets if the shoot well. with that in mind, could you please give me some ideas on an appropriate tac-style riflescope to use with this rifle? my budget is under 600.00. i require absoultely repeatable finger-adjustable turrets (preferably, without covers). i don't want a adjustable objective, but i could live with a side-focus. my power range preference would be either a variable up to 14x or a fixed 10x. sunshades are not obligatory. thanks, for the help-keith

i just logged and was going to ask the same question in a 4-16x with side focus with the same budget and mil-dot

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
how are the super snipers quality and repeatable wise? only thing that might turn me off from one of them is the fact they are a fixed 10x. granted the usmc thought 10x was fine for their shooting, but for coyotes being called in close, i think a 3-9 or 3.5x10 might be a better fit. would like some opinions on the super snipers though. -keith

A
A
have you looked at the nikon at all?

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
yes, i looked at the nikon monarch line. definetly like the monarch x tactical's, but then you are looking around 1000.00. for what some of the nikon's cost, i probably would just stick to a zeiss conquest. what model did you have in mind?-keith

A
A
go look at sniper central .com under optics there is some great info i don't know what to get i do like the nikons but i am still looking. i have a hard time spending twice as much for a scope then i did for a rifle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For that price range a used Leupold VXIII Long Range with turrets added would be a pretty good value. One new scope in that price range that is gaining a big following is the Falcon Menace 4-14X44 FFP.

HERE is a review. Now available with the better MP-20 reticle (much better than the skeleton Mildot shown in the review) and even .1 Mil clicks to match the reticle just like the big boys have. The glass is supposed to be better than that of the Super Sniper.

All in all a pretty ground breaking package for that price range.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JonA
For that price range a used Leupold VXIII Long Range with turrets added would be a pretty good value.

My thoughts EXACTLY!

The new VXIII is identical to the Mark IV scopes except for the knobs and the gold ring vs black ring... they even come off the exact same assembly line, just some get finger knobs screwed on plus the gold ring, while others get the m1 knobs and the black ring.

I just sold a vxIII 4.5-14x50 LR with the 30mm maintube and side focus parallax adjustments for $550 NEW. Take that same scope, send it to Leupold, and for $130, they'll install M1 knobs on it. Presto, you've got a Mark IV in all the important aspects (glass, housings, turrets) for $680. Maybe just a touch over your budget, but you won't find a better deal than that!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ohiohunter

Man, that set up sounds familiar smile I just went through this same dilemma and settled on a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 but that is out of your budget. There are many great scopes that will fit your budget and do what you want to do with it. Any Leupy VX-II or VX-III will do it,Super Snipers are good but as you have already stated fixed power, the Nikon Tacticals are nice but pricey and hard to find, and so on and so on.

Take your time and pick what you want.Touch,feel and look through as many as you can until you find one what that you like.

By the way,here is mine:
[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
One of the more fascinating posters here is a guy named Flinch. Flinch buys simply VXII's and III's, has them equipped with target or tactical adjustment knobs and the Fine Duplex reticles. He then procedes to shoot ground squirrels at 500-900 yds with his simple 3-9X40 and 3.5-10X40 scopes. On sporter weight rifles that he has tweaked, no less.
You could do the same thing by starting out with a Mk.4, PR scope. Either the Mil-Dot reticle or the Fine Duplex should work fine. E

A
A
ok i think a visit to the leupold factory is in order and thanks for all the imput

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 3,058 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,670
Posts18,534,157
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.