Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This thread has morphed from best weapon system ever to specific application(s). I wholeheartedly agree with the specific application of the various pumps - especially the 760/7600. I bought my second 760 with one specific purpose in mind - blackbears in mountain laurel thickets. Loaded the 06 with 180 Noslers at 2750, it was the ticket. I discovered though that a bear moving in Laurel at 30 feet is only going to give you 1 shot, so the extra added artillery wasn't quite necessary.

Now if were talking back-up as in Mark's situation, an 06, 35W, or some such derivation would be among my first choices.

I have used the "system" extensively and can like it for specific applications - just don't agree with the best weapon system ever...................

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
pumpgun,

To be different.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was wondering if it was something like that. grin

On a different note.

I have found that the Remington 6/760/7600 line for what ever reason fit me like they had designed the stock with me in mind. Has anyone else had this experience? Other than the fact that I hunt in places once in a while where I don't feel comfortable using the pump because of range I don't know why I have any other rifle other than my 7600. I guess I will be burned at the stake for that statement. grin
tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe not burned at the stake.....but will certainly get a nasty letter from the Gun Nuts Association.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
BTW TexasRick where are you from in east Texas? My father was from outside Sulfur Springs and my mother was from east of Pittsburg near Holly Springs I think. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a lot of respect for pump gun hunters, although I have never owned one. I do want an 870 custom pump from Novak, and would love a 35 whelen pump.

In reading the reliability issues, it reminds me of my father.
When he was 8 years old, he was handed the responsibilty of running the farm and suppling food for the family which meant a lot of hunting. In WWII he taught small arms for the recruits and continued hunting untill his legs started giving out from football injuries. Thus, I was taught at a young age proper firearms cleaning, maintenance and inspection by somebody who knew. Also, to run my ammo through my rifles to make sure they would load properly. Many issues will be resolved in firearms reliability (not all)by following similar precepts as explained above.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Pumpgun....I'm farther south. Near Woodville and Livingston.....thats 45 miles south of Lufkin and 100 miles north of Houston (thank God)

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I well remember a discussion with my grandfather about why all of the older hunters in my area absolutely hated semi-auto shotguns.

In deep East Texas the population was very isolated and poor......particularly previous to the war and even into the 1950's. He told me that it was common for hunters to buy shotgun shells loose at the hardware store a few at a time and anyone who bought a full box of shells was considered "rich". These shells were most often paper hulls that would swell badly when damp (very common in the humid and rainy climate here).

Since money was tight......nothing was wasted and certainly shotshells were not discarded just because they were a little swollen. He told of placing swollen shells inside the oven of a wood-burning stove to dry them out (now that's a comfortable thought....sitting around the stove with shotshells cooking inside).

Because of the paper shells semi-auto shotguns were very unreliable and universally disliked. In fact even pump shotguns were less desirable than doubles which were the most common shotgun when I was young. He told me how sometimes you would have to pound the damp shells into the chamber with your knife and then pry the empties out with the same tool.....but it worked. Pump guns would work if the shells weren't too bad, but auto guns were useless with anything except "new" shells (which were not easily obtained).

Thinking about "cooking" live shells in the oven, then "pounding" the shells near the primer with a knife always made me cringe.....but those were tough times.

The experiences and predgidices of those older hunters were passed down to the younger generations and even in the 60's and 70's after plastic hulls were most common......the auto guns were considered unreliable and sutable only for the "rich folk". By the 60's the pump guns were beginning to replace the doubles due to being cheaper and the mistaken belief that they were "faster"......but to this day, semi-autos are less used in this part of Texas.

Rick, I don't know about the rest of the country but in the southeast that was the way it was.

My first 3 gun battery after I left home was a Fieldmaster 22, 870 Wingmaster 12 guage, and a 760 30-06 Carbine. I still have the 870 and 3 others. The Fieldmaster and the 760 are long gone but I do have my Dad's Fieldmaster.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Has anybody had a 760 re-bored to 9.3 X 62? Is the barrel thick enough? That would rate pretty high on the cool factor.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've seen 760's rebored to 35 Whelen on Gun Broker so I'd say the barrel is thick enough. Shooting a 9.3x62 pump from the bench would be one you wouldn't soon forget. cry

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a model 6 Remington pump on gun broker in 338-06, pricey...

Remington, Model SIX, 338-06 Caliber $1295 or so.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I recently rebarrelled a 760 to .375 Scoville. Douglas #5 chrome/molly at 23 in. Total weight just under 8 lbs. with NGEC front blade and Lyman steel peep with a adjustable merit disc in it. Calculated recoil is about 38 ft-lbs. I have shot about 100 rounds through it. Recoil off the bench isn't bad. Load is 59/59 gr. IMR 4895 or 60 gr. IMR 4320 and 250 gr. Sierra. Pressure according to the data is 58/60K psi. Chronographed velocity is 2575 -2640 fps. depending upon which powder. Accuracy is consistently under 1/2" at 50 yds.

After looking at the clearances around the action forearm, I don't think that you could go any larger than a #5. At least that would be at the reinforce. You could go bigger on the down tube if you relieved the forearm/slide clearance some.

The only real quirk with this job is the barrel stub screw on that the bolt locks into. It is red Loctiteed on and requires heat sinking and carefull wrench work to get it off.

Now if someone wanted a real thumper, he could go up to the.411 Hawk with 350/400 gr. cast bullets and get a serious fast shooter.

Just think, 4,500 ft-lbs. or more from a pump gun. Who would have thunk it!

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
My first rifle, that I didn't have to borrow from my Dad, was a used Winchester 61 (50 years ago for a Christmas gift). First new shotgun I bought for myself when I got out of college was an Ithaca 16ga. My first skeet gun was a Rem 870 (2 3/4", 12ga), which I still have and it is way smoother than the newer 3 and 3 1/2" models. When Remington came out with the 7600 in a .35 Whelen I bought one of the first ones that became available in our area. While I liked the accuracy of the 760 I did not like the standard stock; too much drop and too "skinny" a butt plate that had a tendency to "bite" in just about any caliber above a .257 Roberts (a Bell & Carson stock helps that considerably). The only "issues" I've ever had with "pumps" was due to "dirty" brass (or shotshells), or a rifle that needed cleaning after being in a "dirt storm", which could be labeled as "operator error". All of the pumps I've ever owned have been more than "hunting" accurate, with the Whelen "exceptionally so". No, the 7600 doesn't have the smoothest trigger, but it can easily be improved. I believe Timney once made a trigger for it, but I haven't seen one on the market in 30 years. I believe the 760 has a somewhat smoother action than the 7600 with its "interupted" lugs, and they both have "free floating" barrels. Like MD said you can make any action jam, and justify any type of action if you shoot it well. I like all types of actions for different types of hunting, I just can't seem to get enough "scratch" together to buy that Merkel in a 9.3X74R. I do prefer the pump to the semi-auto because I hate to chase the brass I intend on reloading. When the pump action starts to open upon firing, which is the case with the Whelen, you just have to remember to "close it" for the next shot. It seems to work best when "jump shooting" in timber, but is up to the "long" shot when the occassion may arise. To me the "pump" is an American action, much like the "lever", that answered the need for a resonably inexpensive "tool" for the "working man" that hunted at reasonable ranges for food more than for sport and was more concerned about taking game rather than shooting "itty bitty" groups or "sniping" across a canyon at long range ("not that there is anything wrong with that"). BTW, I sure enjoy the articles of all the "writers" and "gun industry greats" that have consented to partake in this forum. I appreciate being invited to participate in this forum; and count myself among the "looniest" of the "gun loonies". Regards, Victory06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The idea of a Remmy pump action "weapon system" goes back to gun writers in the 1930s who were recommending the Remington 31 shotgun, the 12 or 121 .22LR, and the 14 or 141 in .35 Remington which was considered by many to be an adequate elk rifle albeit perhaps a little on the light side for griz. Even today I think
these three would be an elegant solution for all hunting east of the Mississippi.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a 121 that's like new that I'm gonna sell one of these days. Talk about a nice handling rifle. Don't make em like that any more.

Wayne

K
KPO Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I shot my first deer with a pump-action rifle. The rifle had peep sights. I used the store-bought, roundnose version of the 'deadliest mushroom in the woods'. Everything worked just right.

I was fortunate to be mentored in my choice of gun and load (and hunting methods) by an old woodsman with many years of hunting experience and success. I am thankful for this opportunity. My teacher was not a rifle nut by any stretch, but he knew what tools worked for him and he freely passed this knowledge along.

My first pheasants, ducks and dove were taken with a well-used pump shotgun. No complaints whatsoever.

Over the years I've used many rifles and shotguns. All of them did just fine for my hunting use if I did my part.

I like bolt actions. They are strong, accurate, reliable and generally have excellent triggers. They can have the edge over pumps, levers and autos in some of these areas. With practice the bolt can also be plenty fast. I've had excellent results with both CRFs and push feeds. Hard not to like them.

Like many, I find it enjoyable to spend time selecting or building up the perfect rifle or load for a particular purpose. Yet for my style of woods hunting, the truth is, most rifles and loads within reason will get the job done if I do my part.

Over the years I've found factors aside from ballistics, group size and the like influence my choices about what to carry into the woods.

A familiar and well-used hunting knife, a broken-in pair of boots, a rifle that has 'got the job done' time and time again - even the old trusty pickup - have qualities that make them a welcome and appreciated part of time spent in the woods.

A well-worn pump still fits nicely, all things considered, with my preferred style of hunting.

I see no real practical advantage or disadvantage in selecting a pump, lever or bolt action rifle (or pump, double or auto shotgun) for the types of hunting I enjoy.

Note - I hunt in deep woods where ranges are short. Long shots (say over 150yds) are uncommon. A bolt action, with it's more assured accuracy potential, could be the better choice for someone who hunts in the open ranges where shots over 200 yards are commonly encountered.

For me the more important factor in choosing a rifle (or shotgun), as others have pointed out, is making sure I have practiced, maintained and am comfortable and confident in my choice. By sticking with something that you are comfortable with and that works for you (be it pump, bolt, lever or auto) you really can not go wrong.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It can't be the best weapon system ever. That has to be the Encore. At least I think it is the Encore. Every great hunter must use them, I mean don't any of you ever watch Outdoor Television shows? wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had my Remington 760 for 15 years now. Pops got it for $75 and an old 22 bolt action. Best deal he has ever made.
It is chambered in .308 win and I love it. Like many say the trigger sucks. However it is a very accurate gun. Most loads are sub MOA. I have taken coues deer from 90 to 517 yards, and mule deer from 25 to just over 300 yards with it. I also taken a javelina at 175 yards with it. The gun is fun to shoot. I got two mags for it, and its amazing how fast a person can unload two 4 round mags with it.
My 760 is a 308 with a 15 year old Tasco World class TV view Scope. Has been that way since I got it from my dad 15 years ago. For a Tasco scope, it sure has done well for 15 years of use.
Best weapon system ever? Maybe. To me the best rifle I have ever owned and most versitle. I love it!

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
...I've never had a 760, but sure enjoy my 141 in .35Rem. The action's slick as can be, accurate enough (1.5"-2" 100yd. groups) for use within the 35 Remington's ability. This IRON sighted gun is my go to gun when hog hunting. As great a gun as the 870 undeniably is the older model 31 is a smoother, better gun in my opinion. I've never used a pump that could match the quick slickness of that model 31!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I do not know if it is the best but I have a 870 sp 12 ga pump that is 25 yrs old. I have killed lots of deer, birds, ducks, rabbits, and squirrels with it. I have never had it to jam and it has seen some terrible abuse and does not get a lot of attention during hunting season except may a little oil on the action. I have dropped it in water several times duck hunting, along with ice forming on the gun lots of times. I have seen some high dolloar semi-auto's not cycle in these conditions so I'll just keep my old junkie 870 pump thank you.

magnums the only way to shoot
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 325wsm1, 280ACKIMP, 007FJ, 1badf350, 15 invisible), 12,017 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,338
Posts18,546,291
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.