-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave---Get rid of the factory hot glue "bedding" crap, bed it right, tune trigger, good to go....

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Remington 700 BDL. Spent more money trying to get a 1 inch group than I paid for the rifle.

My A bolt out of the box shoots a .57" group every time.

They all make a lemon every now and then.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How about another semiauto story? A Benneli R1 in 30-06! Take it apart to clean put it back together bingo a whole new Point of Impact! Tighten the forearm another click, bingo a whole new point of impact! A wonderful POS that finally cured me off of semiautos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3.5-4 inches from a BAR .338WM...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Dave---Get rid of the factory hot glue "bedding" crap, bed it right, tune trigger, good to go....

not touching, not binding. Best "hot glue job" I've ever seen from Win.

I'd bet a months pay the rebed isn't going to help that one at all. I've had rifles that shot very well without bedding but simply "walked" in the stock which I couldn't stand so I bed them to gain consistant secure fit of the barreled action, gained consistancy/security but not necesarily accuracy.

Trigger is very good, already did that. I know it's good & I know I'm holding true through my shots because I had a Rem UMC fact load dud & I held true & perfect through the snap. Tried refiring it several times & held through beautifully for each trigger snap.

I can rebed, I can pillar bed, I can paint it baby blue swirly, hell can glue macaroni noodles all over it & paint it gold with "I love you mom" on the side, but it gonna shoot with that barrel on there. I don't know exactly what's wrong with it but the bedding is as good as I've seen from any fact rifle & the only difference from it & my own bedding job would be compound density/hardness. They actually did a nice job fitting it even though the bedding isn't what any of us would choose for a compound.

I'll put it this way, I'm pi$$ed at the rifle, wouldn't feel right about selling it and I need a break from it after spending several hundred on different loads & shooting it under diff conditions, swapping mounts, rings, scopes, triger job etc..

The only reason it isn't a tomato cage steak is because the ground is still frozen up here. I need a break from it.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can understand your frustration........grin. I would still rebed it before anything else though.......

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
it is the cheapest thing I can do in the line of things yet to be tried. but for a while here, I'm tired of feeding a gun ammunition that doesn't give me any sort of pleasure or even hope for that matter. I just have to leave it sit for a little while. maybe I'll drop it off with a local smith & have him give it an exam, see if he can find anything with a bore scope or by measuring or? If he finds any manufacturing flaws I may inquire about a factory repair.

But until then, I have others that I can shoot that give me the wow factor that I'm after. the confidence & the fun factor.

pretty simple really but it makes a guy hapy when the bullets go where you aim the rifle.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
This is an easy one. Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Roberts. Four or five inch groups at a 100 with factory and handloads. I stripped it of it's Leupold and put it on something worth while.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
wow, I feel like I'm at a rape victom meeting, raped of ouraccuracy expectations...

"Hi, my name's dave and winchester raped me early this year...."

"hi dave!!"

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
wow, I feel like I'm at a rape victom meeting, raped of ouraccuracy expectations...

"Hi, my name's dave and winchester raped me early this year...."

"hi dave!!"

Probably wouldn't have lost your ass on that rifle if you reloaded.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=northern_dave

The only reason it isn't a tomato cage steak is because the ground is still frozen up here. I need a break from it. [/quote]

Dave, Dave, Dave ... shoot the ground with the damn thing ...
THEN drive it in.

Oh wait, you could lose a trigger finger shooting that thing at the ground.

GE

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
around 2005 or so i bought a new model 70 classic/stainless in 30-06. it was to be my final rifle, my "one gun for all hunting" rifle. i was excited! it shot ok, but when i tried to put the barreled action in an h s precision stock, it wouldn't fall into place. my gunsmith also tried, took some measurements of the barreled action and discovered the barrel was screwed into the receiver at an angle, as in the end of the barrel was over 1/8th of an inch off to the right of center. sent it down the road and went back to ruger m77. never looked back.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure which model but a Savage M99 in 308. Had a detachable clip and I doubt I could have hit a room from the inside with it. Kicked like a mule also.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Mine was a Rem 7400 semi-auto that if you had the blood of Dan'l Boone in your viens you might be able to hit a very large barn at 3 feet! At 4 feet, forget it!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The worst I ever had was a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem......With 150's it shot 1" or better but with 200's it was a 4" rifle.

Note: I see all of the Mini 14 posts. I had a SS Mini that would shoot .3's all day long with Winchester 55gr BT's.

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
An early Ruger 77 .308 with the dogleg bolt handle. I bought it new in the early 1970's. It had an egg shaped chamber and grouped so badly I gave up on rifles completely for a while. I know Rugers are better now, but I can neither forgive or forget.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage 30-06, long since gone.

Winchester M-70, 300 WSM, POS.

My go to rifles, a Ruger 30-06 and a Browning .260. Both are dead nuts accurate and you will have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

JBD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still have vivid memories of a Ruger No.1 B in 7mm Remington magnum. I was young and poor but saved up enough to buy the Ruger and a Leupold 3x9AO scope. On the first trip to the range it threw the Remington factory loads I had all over the target but I told myself it just didn't like that particular loading. Not so, the damn thing didn't like ANYTHING as it turned out. The best group it ever shot might have been three inches but 5-6 inches at 100yds. was usual and many groups were worse than that by far. Handloads, factory ammunition, it just didn't matter. Work on the forearm accomplished nothing. I now realize the rifle just had a bad barrel but I finally sold it and it was years before I owned another Ruger rifle, another No. 1 in 45-70 that shot quite well. However, the early disappointment with the 7mm just left me with little regard for Rugers and I never owned any others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VAnimrod:

If that rifle was rechambered or re-barreled to .308 Norma Magnum, I know what was wrong with it.

Back in the 60's and 70's, many of these rifles were rechambered, or re-barreled to .308. For what ever reason, a lot of chambering reamers for that caliber were made without an intregral throat. Most gunsmiths who converted these rifles were unaware of the throatless reaamer.

You had to use a throating reamer to finish the chambering job. I have seen some that you had to hammer the bolt open with a wood block, even with factory loads or what would otherwise be mild hand loads.

I purchased a throating reamer and fixed a number of these things. It has been a number of years ago, so I don't remember the improvment in accuracy, if there was any improvment, but at least you could extract the empty without using a hammer.

For some reason, these rifles also had recoil way out of proportion to what you would expect for a .30 caliber magnum.

I think what was happening was when you chambered a round in the chamber without a throat, the bullet was jammed against the rifling. When the rifle fired, the bullet being jammed into the rifling and unable to move, instead of the bullet going down the barrel, the rifle backed off of it, causing the recoil.

Throating the barrel caused a reductiion in recoil, also, making it what it should be for a rifle of this energy range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The most inaccurate rifle I ever shot was the M1 Carbine I used to qualify in basic training. At 100 yeards, the thing shot four feet high, with the sights adjusted all the way down.

I did qualify, but I had to aim at the ground at the base of the target.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,031
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.