Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I've owned a couple 375's, but not for years. Never needed them, and still don't, as I have a very nice whelen, but lately I've had the wants for one. I was all set to buy a 375 Ruger AK, ditch the obnoxious Hogue stock, replace w/ a short forend Bansner and add a barrel band sling swivel. Add some action slicking up and I should be good to go for around $1300.
Well, just a few minutes ago, I was browsing SHOT show spy photos over at AR, and saw the new Kimber TALKEETNA .375 H&H. Looks like a SS version of their Caprivi w/ a Montana style stock, bb sling swivel, blind mag (my fave), and simple rear sight like the Ruger, which I really like. Don't know if it has a bb front sight (gotta have) or how long the bbl is, 22"-23" would be perfect. Anybody know more info? MSRP of $2108 should make for a street price of what, $1600 or so? I handled a Caprivi at Cabela's, and was pretty impressed w/ how it felt. A little clubish compared to a Hawkeye African, but lots better than a RSM. Hope the Talkeetna is even a little trimmer. I realize the Kimber is twice the price of the Ruger, but by the time you put a decent stock on the Ruger???????????????

GB1

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I handled one in Dallas. It's heavier, thicker and just more massive than the Ruger. It's more along the lines of the RSM, not quite as heavy. It has a ramp front and island rear like the Caprivi, which I think is an abomination in a $3k rifle. Ruger does it right for 2/3 the price on the RSM.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those sunza... Now I gotta see one of these!

And let's face it... Talkeetna is a way better name than Hawkeye!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Talkeetna"....huh!.....they probably won't come out with a "Delta Junction" model....it would have a nice ring to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kodiak is over used, how about "Prince of Wales" or "Dutch Harbor"

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you get a Bansner for a Ruger MKII or Hawkeye? I thought they only offered stocks for the MKI? If they do, that would make for a great elk hunting rig...

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Bansners and McMillan Edges aren't available for Ruger Mark II's. I've considered a painted Borden Rimrock with a flip flop pad (I'd estimate in the mid 20's (ozs.)), for my Mark II, but too many other projects get priority since the factory boat paddle is light enough and works. I think the new factory synthetics are only about 30 ozs. fairly stiff and feel pretty good in my hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only light stocks I've been able to find for MKII's are Brown Precision (not listed on websit, but handled on at a show) and MPI.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Good points about he Bansner for the Mark II. Didn't know you couldn't get 'em. I like a real short forend, especially w/ a 20" bbl, and a bbl mounted sling swivel. Personally I think the Hogue sucks, so maybe a boat paddle and forget about the bbl band sling swivel.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd do a Phil Shoemaker........just ditch the Hogue stock and use a current standard Ruger synthetic......around 60 bucks I think and imo not a half bad stock.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by x2mosg
I handled one in Dallas. It's heavier, thicker and just more massive than the Ruger. It's more along the lines of the RSM, not quite as heavy. It has a ramp front and island rear like the Caprivi, which I think is an abomination in a $3k rifle. Ruger does it right for 2/3 the price on the RSM.

I handled it at the Reno show and these comments pretty much echo mine!

I still like the Little Sky Kimbers, now the rest of their stock designs suck rocks by my way of thinking.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
"Talkeetna"....huh!.....they probably won't come out with a "Delta Junction" model....it would have a nice ring to it.

the DJ model is too much gun for average folk, it's only available around back in the alley and you gotta know the password. wink

do like the Talkeetna name though, haven't seen the rifle, but if it's odd shaped, seldom used or visited and has some oddball characteristics such as sights or sumpthin....I'd say it's aptly named.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder if it comes with a bag of weed, and a tie-dye shirt? grin

Jeff

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I can only assume that the gun will be a little lighter. What do you think this will do to the recoil?

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Good points, but I just can't warm up to the factory tupperware.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akjeff
Wonder if it comes with a bag of weed, and a tie-dye shirt? grin

Jeff
and don't forget the dreadlocks.... smile

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Too bad Yakatat isn;t a more popular name....anyways I bought the Ruger Hawkeye African and am totally delights...but could be even happier if it had a 26inch barrel rather than the 23inch..
but that is just me...the Hawkeyes are what Ruger should have been making for years....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 69sportfury, 8 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,574
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.