Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I made the mistake of handling a Kimber 8400 Montana in .270 Win. I really liked the way it felt in my hands and the way it came up to my shoulder. The store manager told me he would trade me even up for my Weatherby ultra light weight in .280 Rem. My feelings about the Weatherby are lukewarm at best,however, it will shoot consistent 1" groups if I do my part. I will readily admit that I am fickle when it comes to rifles!

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I would keep the the 280, You know what it shoots like. I have owned both 270's and 280's and would not trade one to get the other. Now if you don't like the Weatherby, then trade it for something you like better. Just hope it's not new gun thing. Thats what drive most of us to talk about the one we whished we still owned. Good Luck.

No matter how good a rifle looks if it shoots over 1 inch groups its ugly.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trade it...cuz you really like the Kimber. I like the 280 better but could learn to like a 270.

You may want to ask to shoot the 270 first if it is used. Maybe the manager is trying to get rid a turd...buyer beware.

RH

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The Kimber is NIB. I just have this thing with trading rifles in every 2-3 years.My brothers in law always tease my wife telling her that someday ill trade her in on one that is newer and fits better!The other day she told them that I made the mistake of teaching her how to shoot and I know better than to even think about that!

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Keep the Weatherby, then save your pennies for a while and go buy a Kimber. That's my rule from now on. I've sold/traded too many good guns that I wish I had back. It's a long time til hunting season and if the hocky hits the fan, you've got a rifle that works. Don't sell a gun that is of excellent quality that works. Keep it, then down the road if you face hard time, you've got equity on hand. Good guns are almost as good to have in a safe as a wad of cash.

David

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
no way would i trade an accurate weatherby for an unproven kimber. ask to shoot the kimber. if he says no, walk away. and i am a 270 fan.........

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lots of folks on this forum have expressed their problems with the Kimbers accuracy and I think that hotsoup is correct.

Dick
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Having owned Weatherby and Kimber, I am asking why you would want to trade a 5 3/4 lb rifle (proven shooter) for a 6 3/4 lb rifle in a almost identicaly capable cartridges. The weatherby costs more new and I see no benefits to the trade.

I currently own a Montana in 308 which I love but I wouldn't trade a Ultra Light weight Bee straight up for one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see no reason to keep a rifle you are lukewarm about (unless there is some sentimental value). Different rifles fit guys differently and if the Weatherby does not feel right to you then get rid of it especially if it either bugs you while hunting or keeps you from hunting with the rifle. I have had good luck with a Kimber Montana .300 WSM, but it is an example of one.

Lou

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I only have about $900.00 tied up in the Weatherby.I bought it before I was able to handle a Kimber. I am in the process of weeding out my collection to 3-4 rifles that I am going to use. I have already sold the "safe queens"(I decided that I want to collect hunting land rather than hunting rifles)and all I need now is a good lightweight rig that will handle deer,elk and black bear.I am also getting bored with trying to find the "perfect rifle",for me it just does not exist.I am also toying around with the idea of getting a custom rifle.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I can't see any reason to trade that Weatherby for a Kimber.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It is not looking good for the Kimber!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with Powerguy (even though he's a Packer Backer). I have a Weatherby Super Predator Master in 22-250 that shoots MOA all day long. No way would I trade a Weatherby for a Kimber. Kimber's are the Blond Bimbos of the rifle world IMO. grin

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Kimber's are the Blond Bimbos of the rifle world IMO. grin

Now you got me thinking the other way. I have a real weakness for Blond Bimbos! laugh

Last edited by Sauer200; 03/14/08.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by Beargrease
Kimber's are the Blond Bimbos of the rifle world IMO. grin

Now you got me thinking the other way. I have a real weakness for Blond Bimbos! laugh

Name me one thing they're good at. wink

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Keep the Bee.. You'll be sorry if you trade it! You've been warned! (Again! grin )

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
They are good at getting their hooks in me and following me home! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I see no reason to keep a rifle you are lukewarm about (unless there is some sentimental value). Different rifles fit guys differently and if the Weatherby does not feel right to you then get rid of it especially if it either bugs you while hunting or keeps you from hunting with the rifle. I have had good luck with a Kimber Montana .300 WSM, but it is an example of one.

Lou

"DWS" (darn well said)

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hate selling or trading accurate rifles. I am lukewarm about the weatherby stock configuration but I think I would just save up and buy the Montana while thinking about getting rid of the Weatherby for a few more months. I have both, I like the Kimber stock better but cannot bring myself to sell an acurate Weatherby in 270 win.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I usually read all the Kimber threads as I like the look of their rifles and I have an older Kimber of Oregon Mod 89 BGR in .270. I know thats a different rifle but I wonder how similar the newer Kimbers are. From reading all the post it sounds like there are two problems with them, consistant accuracy and bitchy customer service people. It sounds like most of the accurcy issues are fixable, but it is a gamble.

You open your post with a comment about how the Kimber just comes right up naturally. I totally understand that, that's why I love my Kimber BGR, it comes right up and shoots where I'm looking. I think there is a lot to be said for a rifle that does that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 54 invisible), 13,591 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,123
Posts18,542,275
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.