Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Dustin(age 14) got his first turkey last spring when I guided him on a Rio hunt in Texas, but he's never taken an Eastern here at home, so we set out with high hopes for the Youth Hunt here in North Louisiana.

Friday night a hail storm came through and as I figured the birds were alittle flustered the next morn. We heard one faint gobble in the distance and throughout the morning we managed to see a flock of 15 hens and one other single hen, but despite covering a few miles, never located a tom. I figured with the pretty weather Saturday evening they would rattle the woods this morn. We arrived before light to get the decoys set in a large clearing where we saw the large flock of hens Saturday and sure enough we started to hear some gobbles around 7:10am. One bird was roosted about 200 yards from us and only gobbled one time. When they started flying down I found out quickly why; he had found that large flock of hens and I knew we didn't stand a chance. There were 2-3 in the distance gobbling a good bit, so we covered some ground to close the distance. Once we set up everything seemed great until some guy started blowing a sick hoot owl(8 am) and sounding like a sick hen on what I assume was a box. I heard one putt and one fly and knew that whole set was blown. We waited a while never hearing any of those birds again, so I came up with a plan to try and sneak to a dirt road near the large flock and just hope they'd come by at some point during the day, but while coming up with a strategy one gobbled in the distance in a small clear-cut. We made the trek to them and eased close to the edge of the clearing in the timber hoping I could coax him over. After calling for a while, no dice. I wasn't 100% sure that's where he gobbled, but I knew he had to have been in that area. After a while I decided to sneak up behind a large pine and do some glassing in the 40acre clearing. I glassed for a while and never saw anything, but just as I was about to ease back to Dustin I caught movement behind some brush only about 40 yards out and sure enough red heads were coming through the brush just under the hill from me and Dustin is 20 yards behind me! I waited until they went behind some brush and sank to my knees out of their sight and crawled down the hill out of their view and headed straight to Dustin. I hadn't sat down for 30 seconds and there they were. Talk about timing! They had heard me crawling in the leaves and were coming to investigate. Dustin had his gun on my shooting sticks pointed out into the clearing, but the birds had come right to where I was glassing in the woods to our right. I could tell it was several jakes and even though I'd heard a gobbler somewhere near earlier, we were definitely going to take the first opportunity. Two of the jakes lost interest and started to walk away, but the closest of the three was standing like a statue. I told Dustin to ease his gun very slowly to the right when the two started to walk away. He eased around and POW!, his first Eastern was on tha ground. 4 to 5 flew at the shot, I'm pretty sure most of them were jakes. I would have liked for him to get a long beard, but we hunted hard and it was coming to an end, so I'm really tickled he got one. He was excited as can be and that's all that matters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm sure he'll never forget that hunt.

The gun was a 11-87 Rem 20ga with a factory full choke shooting Win 3" 1-1/4oz #5s, range about 25 yards.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader7RM

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice job,Congrats!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's great, good looking bird. Our Juv. turkey hunt is next weekend 3/22-23 and regular season opens 3/29.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats and great story...

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you both! Great looking bird.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Congrats to you and Dustin, great story, great bird. The kids enjoying the outdoors and scoring is what it's all about.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to you and Dustin!
My 4 year old wants to go turkey hunting with me next month. I'm thinking I'll set up my ameristep blind and just spend however long he wants to spend in it, hoping to hear and see some birds.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 58 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,819
Posts18,496,482
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.