Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2093935 03/17/08
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Two big bore handguns of mine have benefitted from this process with no deterioration of accuracy or velocity. Recoil reduction is obvious with the first shot. I've had the process done on a FA83 and a S&W 629 Mountain with two ports each and the result has been most pleasing. There seems to be little difference in muzzle blast.

For those that have Mag-na-ported handguns, what is your experience?

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I can't tell in difference in recoil between a magna ported Model 83 in 454 and a non ported one of the same barrel lenght when shooting them side by side with the same ammo..

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I find that my magna ported .357 magnums have the same recoil but there is no muzzle flip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had two .44 Magnum revolvers Mag-na-ported, a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH and an 8 3/8" Smith M629.

In both, muzzle flip was definitely reduced and this reduced the perceived recoil. The Ruger especially was reduced by about 25% although of course that's a subjective WAG. The only downside was that the red ramp front sight of the Smith became a "grey ramp" sight after several shots, but that was easily wiped off.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Magnaported Freedom Arms .454 Casull, 10" barrel, with scope.
While muzzle jump is reduced, it has the effect of directing all that recoil straight back into your wrists and arms.
With a recently broken wrist, I now find that recoil to be too much to handle- this one's for sale.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Price?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Will PM

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's what made my 4" 629 something I want to shoot.
The 6", though, doesn't need it, for me.
So I'll say that 'Porting = 2" of barrel.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Handloader

Two big bore handguns of mine have benefitted from this process with no deterioration of accuracy or velocity. Recoil reduction is obvious with the first shot. I've had the process done on a FA83 and a S&W 629 Mountain with two ports each and the result has been most pleasing. There seems to be little difference in muzzle blast.

For those that have Mag-na-ported handguns, what is your experience?

Hello
I had a .44 Magnum S&W Magnaported once, and Noticed less recoil and more Blast. It did knock the resale of that revolver down when I wanted to swap it, therfore the extra money was a waste to me as to what it got me on resale. Anytime you Modify a Handgun it Kills resale values Regards, Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had aT/C 357 Harret magnaported. and it would rip the scope off when it was fired, after a year of trying differant ways to mount a base I put open sights back on. and finally sold it. I guess it would be ok for a light shooting caliber but not on a hard kicker.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Taruas Raging Bull in 44 mag that I traded a Llama Super Commanche in 44 mag for and the Taraus is a dream to shoot incomparison to the Llama. When ever I shot the Super Commanche I had to wear a wrist brace with the Raging Bull I've found the wrist brace isn't nwcessary.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi, generalstuart

Modifying collectible or historic firearms is not a good idea. If someone were to Mag-na-port a Registered Magnum, that would be cause for a trial and subsequent hanging. OTOH, if someone had Doug Turnbull case harden a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, add a high polish blue and ivory grips, I suspect it would resale for higher than fair market than before those modifications were made.

Adding night sights, extended slide releases, ambi safeties are easily reversable processes and often add value upon resale. Mag-na-porting a current production revolver may limit the appeal upon trade or resale, but, our store gets more money for those revolvers so equipped. The main issue, for us, centers around the quality and extent of the modifications and whether it enhances resale appeal.

I believe most owners are best advised to make modifications for their own purposes and reasons with the intent of retaining the firearm. If modifications are made by competent and acknowledged firms, the results can be satisfying and often the value of the firearm, if sold or traded, increased.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a BFR 500 Mag with a 6 inch barrel, it is Mag-na-ported with 4 slots, and there is no felt recoil difference at all. I have less muzzle flip is all. If you want to reduce recoil, a break is the only thing that will do that besides a lower powder charge or lighter bullets.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Life member of the NRA
Endowment Member of the NRA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Handloader
Hi, generalstuart

Modifying collectible or historic firearms is not a good idea. If someone were to Mag-na-port a Registered Magnum, that would be cause for a trial and subsequent hanging. OTOH, if someone had Doug Turnbull case harden a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, add a high polish blue and ivory grips, I suspect it would resale for higher than fair market than before those modifications were made.

Adding night sights, extended slide releases, ambi safeties are easily reversable processes and often add value upon resale. Mag-na-porting a current production revolver may limit the appeal upon trade or resale, but, our store gets more money for those revolvers so equipped. The main issue, for us, centers around the quality and extent of the modifications and whether it enhances resale appeal.

I believe most owners are best advised to make modifications for their own purposes and reasons with the intent of retaining the firearm. If modifications are made by competent and acknowledged firms, the results can be satisfying and often the value of the firearm, if sold or traded, increased.

Hello Handloader
I agree with part of your response here, But feel it will only Enhance a weapons total Worth By Maganporting if the said weapon is just Plain Rude to shoot due to massive recoil.The gun I had Magna Ported may be viewed by some as a collectible but to me it was just another S&W Model 629 Stainless .44 Magnum. I saw no Hindrence in having that model done as they are like Belly Button's and most either have one or have owned one. I really did not Notice all that much difference in that caliber as far as recoil goes but it did make the report a lot Louder.I recently saw a Nice shape Vintage model 25-2 S&W revolver that had Been Magna Ported, and to me the guy that had that done needs his Balls Cut off. I did not see any reason to port the .45 ACP caliber due to the massive weight of the classic-N-frame and the Given the caliber, it has little or almost No recoil. The seller had it Priced right at $600.00 and would have dropped to $550.00 which he did to move it, But he would have Gotten $800.00 if that gun was Not Molested, so that was a case in Point where Magna Porting Realy Hurt that Guns resale Value.. Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a FA in 454 that started out un-ported. It used to take some skin off the palm of my hand...got it ported and the problem was solved. (I use a firm grip and don't let them roll as one is supposed to.) All others (.44 and down) are not ported and I don't feel the need.

I shot the ported 454 once without ear protection and have vowed never to do so again. dvnv

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Several raise the issue of whether Mag-na-porting reduces recoil. Some don't feel it does, others find benefit. All of which is to say there is some subjective evaluation which leads me to wonder if there is such a thing as a fixture that can measure recoil energy as opposed to opinion?

My experience with 45 Colts (Ruger Vaqueros and Blackhawks) and 454 FA is that porting makes a difference. Less muzzle flip, less recoil, increased muzzle blast. Now, if I can't buy a recoil indicator machine or fixture, I may have to "invent" one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just to start more fur flying, I'll bring back this thread- pit the "doeses" against the "doesn'ts".

Thank me later.
smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The only one I ever had done was Smith 44 mag Mountain Gun in an N frame.It did reduce the muzzle flip, but the gun still tore up the web o fmy shooting hand in less than 8 rounds. In addition to more noticeable muzzle blast,it was a pain to clean in those ports.

I could see no appreciable increase in getting back onto target with double action.I settledson a Ruger Blackhawk,4 &5/8 barrel that I can shoot just as fast single action and it is a lot more pleasant to shoot.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To both you guys shooting 454 Casull's with a lot of recoil and blast--Can't you shoot 45 Long Colt in them for less blast and recoil? Like 38spl in a 357 or 44spl. in a 44 mag? Or am I all wet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 ported handguns. The first is a 2" snubnosed .41mag 28oz Taurus SS for pocket carry in the mountains. It roars, but I feel that it comes back to sight quicker than if it was not ported. This is the gun that I hope I never need to use.

The second is an extra barrel for my Glock G20. It is a ported 6" in 9x25 Dillon. I really can't tell the difference between it and my non ported factory 10mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

722 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 16gage, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 3,301 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,310
Posts18,526,179
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.