Print Thread
Hop To
R
Ron_AKA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any thoughts on which one would be better for target shooting and gophers (ground squirrels)? The gun will be a .22 LR with max distance of 100 yards or so. The differences is that the 42 has Mil Dot and 1/4 moa adjustment, while the 44 has a dot reticle and 1/8 moa adjustment. The 44 will cost me about 60% more. Anyone aware of any other differences between these two scopes - different coatings?

VAR624X42M
http://www.tasco.com/single.cfm?s=Riflescopes&family=Target%20%26%20Varmint&product=var624x42m

TG624X44DS
http://www.tasco.com/single.cfm?s=Riflescopes&family=Target%20%26%20Varmint&product=tg624x44ds

Any comments appreciated,

Ron

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Crap....

Either.

Pick: neither.

Then again, it's your coin: either will get you the same.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ron,

What I've come to appreciate is that using substandard optics is unsatisfying at best. Also it is a lot harder to mask flaws in the design or manufacture of high magnification scopes. With this in mind perhaps you should consider waiting until the budget isn't so tight and also a bit lower magnification range. Since you're talking about shooting 100 yards and closer lower magnification won't really be much of a handicap. I have a couple of rifles equipped with 6x scopes that I shoot pretty good 100 yard groups with, and I use 1" stickers for aimpoints.

One suggestion would be a parallax adjustable Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40. That would be a large step up in quality, it has plenty of magnification and it isn't a bankbuster.

mathman

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Swift Premier, if you have to go inexpensive.

Helluva difference, between inexpensive and cheap........

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
VA,

I haven't been around any Swifts so they didn't come readily to mind. I've helped a couple of newbies get sighted in with late model Buckmasters and they seemed like a lot of scope for the moolah.

mathman

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Can't say as the Buckmaster ain't a decent scope.

Then again, when compared to a Trashco, there ain't much that ain't more decent.

R
Ron_AKA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Ron,

What I've come to appreciate is that using substandard optics is unsatisfying at best. Also it is a lot harder to mask flaws in the design or manufacture of high magnification scopes. With this in mind perhaps you should consider waiting until the budget isn't so tight and also a bit lower magnification range. Since you're talking about shooting 100 yards and closer lower magnification won't really be much of a handicap. I have a couple of rifles equipped with 6x scopes that I shoot pretty good 100 yard groups with, and I use 1" stickers for aimpoints.mathman

Actually budget is not the issue. It is my Scotish heritage that tells me something does not ring true when you can buy an item with a similar function from as low as $50 and as much as $2,000 or more. I can see the difference between a $20K Neon and a $130K Lexus, but not between these scopes that extend in price over a much higher range.

I have a nice 6X Redfield (original Colorado company) sitting in a box doing nothing. However it probably is parallax zeroed for 100-150 yards. I gather they are relatively easy to re-adjust, but I want more power for target shooting, and non of the shooting will be done in low light. Also have a very old K Weaver. Both scopes are very nice as they don't have a garrish black glossy finish, and have nice fine reticles.

I have trouble dismissing the China made stuff as trash. I remember the days when Tasco first came on the market out of Japan. They were considered trash, and now people are actually searching for the Japanese made stuff on e-Bay!

I have discovered however that the 44DS looks like it can only be focused and parallax corrected down to 25 yards, and that is an issue.

Thanks for all the comments,

Ron

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ron, the Swift, Millett, Mueller and Vortex are going to be a few clicks above the new Tasco stuff. You can go a bit lower on magnification and opt for more clarity and probably get away with it just fine.

Hope this helps

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a 2.5-10 mil-dot Tasco on a 10-22. Works great and decent optics. I have and use lots of better scopes but for $60 it can't be beat.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave, with most of lower $$ scopes, I don't think you have problems until you start going to the higher power's. I can see a 2.5-10 working for that application.

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
IC B3

M
M
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10570-1505-mueller-45-14x40-apv-riflescope.aspx here is something to look at that would serve you better IMHO..........For the money you will find that these are quality scopes with great reviews. I had a Tasco like the one your looking at and it has been replaced with the Mueller...

" A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton
R
Ron_AKA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BrocksDad
Ron, the Swift, Millett, Mueller and Vortex are going to be a few clicks above the new Tasco stuff. You can go a bit lower on magnification and opt for more clarity and probably get away with it just fine. Hope this helps
Rob

My problem is trying to find someone who will ship these to Canada. Found this Millett deal (shipping from China), which seems amazing. 56mm with side AO from what I can see for $140. I would love it, but I'm convinced it is counterfeit. What do you think? List price in the US is in the $500-600 range, and when you examine the turrets carefully they don't appear to be made the same. Millett US also has warnings of counterfeit scopes shipped direct from China (no warranty in US).

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MILLETT-SIGHTS-B...714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Have checked out the Mueller and finding a dealer is an issue so far. Will check out the others.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Ron

R
Ron_AKA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by medic52
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10570-1505-mueller-45-14x40-apv-riflescope.aspx here is something to look at that would serve you better IMHO..........For the money you will find that these are quality scopes with great reviews. I had a Tasco like the one your looking at and it has been replaced with the Mueller...

The Rimfire Central forum guys give this one rave reviews (well many of them). I would be more interested in the 8.5-25x44 model, but can't find a dealer that will ship to Canada. The arrangement with these is a bit of a concern (probably not as much as a counterfeit Millett though). Sounds like a one man show out of the US just writing the specs for scopes made in China potentially out of the same shop that makes the Tasco, and many others.

Ron

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I don't get it but do you need more than 10x or 12x for 100yd shots?

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry Ron, I should have looked and seen your were in Canada.

As for the Millett for 140.00 that would make me scratch my head a bit with all the fakes out there.

Hope you find something and are able to get it shipped to you.

Good Luck and have Fun

Rob

Rob

R
Ron_AKA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I've e-mailed a guy in Canada that appears to have bought one of those Millett scopes on e-Bay. Will see what he says.

Ron

R
Ron_AKA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any thoughts about the Bushnell Banner 6-18x50 AO? Lower power, lower zoom ratio, and larger objective.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_banner_71-6185.cfm

Looks like I could get it for about $140. Not so sure about the Mult-X reticle, especially for target shooting?

Seems to get some amazing reviews at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=128054

Ron

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ron_AKA,

First let me say I have a NIght Force 12 - 42X, a Weaver 6 - 24X, a Leupold 2 1/2 - 8X, a Sightron II 3 - 15X, and at least two or three Tascos in the drawer. When I see them on sale, I buy one or two for my friends; or in case I get a new toy.

The new coating on the Tascos appears to be as good as the Leupold. I have a 6 - 24 and a 4 - 16X Tasco on my .22 rimfires. I have a 4 - 16X on my .375 and I put a 4 - 16X on my buddy's .340 and on my son-in-law's 7 Mag. O yea, I put a 4 - 16X on his .22 Mag and one on my grandson's .22. He can always hit the propane bottle which is 590 yards away with his 7 Mag on the first try. Every time.

I would go with the Mil Dot model. Once you get out there shooting squirrels and see where you are hitting you can adjust your hold instantly: Whether for wind or distance.

I just remember I have a 2 1/2 - 10 Tasco on my .223 deer rifle.

Last edited by Ringman; 03/19/08.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 46 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,267
Posts18,504,924
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.