-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I figured as such (Civil vs Criminal). i just felt the need to stir things up a little.

Hunter did you get my reply to another thread? The radio station you are looking for is 105.7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you, for the sending the radio station #'s. I wish they had a tower that would reach up here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JeffA-

I cannot offer any advice over what has jbeen in regard to the missing handgun but just want to offer you my sincere condolences in the loss of your father.

Gdv

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember when my dad was on the Dept. he said there was a policy regarding firearms used in a crime. Is suicide a crime? Not sure, but anyway any firearm used in a crime had to be deystoyed. Not sure if it was CA law or not.

He said he saw a lot of real nice firearms destroyed, firearms that could have been sold for good money, it used to break his heart..

I would call and ask to talk to a shift LT. and explain it all to him and ask him for help about finding out the policy and status, and ask him to call you back with some information. One of their own making inquires might yield more information.

I'm sorry regarding your dad. You're right, I wouldn't want to even hold the gun other to run it down to the store to be sold. Good luck.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

An old problem, not yet solved.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no "registration" of firearms in Florida. If you can show relationship as an heir, the gun is yours. Do not let them jerk you around.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I agree with one of the above postings in that the police had no reason to take the holser, unless it had a gun in it (then it becomes part of the gun). This is fishy.

Unfortunately, you are in Alaska and the gun is in Florida and it may take a couple of face-to-face meeitngs to sort this out.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Send them a certified letter, return receipt, copy to the city or county attorney that services the department, demanding the return of your property within ten days and stating that you will sue the department. If the revolver is not returned per your demand, file suit in Small Claims Court, and subpoena every officer that was there. Odds are they will give it back rather than all take a day off to testify. In most states, you represent yourself in Small Claims.

Be not weary in well doing.
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem

I'll take Sam's word on gun registration in FL. That said, it is the property of your father's estate, and it is not evidence in a criminal matter, so it is either due to be returned to anyone handling your father's estate, or his proper heir. The State of FL has no business holding it. Also, if it was obviously a suicide, and didn't happen as his condo, I can't see why it was searched beyond a cursory look for a note, nor why anything would have been taken from some place other than the scene if it didn't relate to the scene or his death.

I'm not gonna tuck my tail and walk away from this no matter what.
I am the only family member that has handled anything thats had to do with this from day one. My folks were in their mid 70s, moms still a basket case not having dealt with things well at all. Dad had left details of his business dealings as well as other personal matters all in a stack in his living room topped off with a stick-um note with my name a phone number on it.

That is part of what the homicide detectives searched his condo for. They emptied waste baskets, logged all the medicines with his name on them and did a general search of the entire place. During that search they found the closet he kept his firearms in, multiple rifles and shotguns. They had me remove them all from his place at the time. They had concern of the condition my mother was in as well as other family members that showed up before all the dust had settled. I was able to maintain pretty well and it was obvious to them that there was some reason everything my father had left was in one way or another directed at me. If I'd not been there they may have taken all his guns before they would have left them in a house full of depressed people..but idunno...

Normally I am a rather independent kinda guy, I take care of my own business and don't lean on anyone.
But I might have an ace in the hole here I am gonna try on Monday.

I have a long term family friend whose been working as a detective for the Florida state attorney in Pinellas County for about 25 years. I'd stopped in and seen him a week after my fathers death back in September to tell him of his passing. He made the first call for me and got the report number to start with. His office is in the courthouse directly across the street from the evidence storage place.. I dunno if his position carries any clout over the sheriffs department but I'm gonna call him Monday and see what he can do to possibly expedite the situation. I've spent most of my winter here in Florida dealing with related crap and getting mom setup to be on her own and I want to be back in Alaska well before spring bear season opens with this chapter of my life closed.

Thanks again for all your comments help and condolences.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can empathize with you on your loss as I have had to deal with that also. One of the hardest things in life to deal with.

Sounds like when they said it was getting a "trigger pull test"......maybe because a dirty lawman had kept it personally and knew the owner was deceased and would not be coming back for it. Sounds fishy to me.

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I know how to get guns back in Michigan. We have a statute for it. It has come in handy a few times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Violator22
Since when did Florida register handguns to a person. Something is fishy on this. Les

Any firearm you purcharse at a gun shop or purchase new is registered in Florida under the owners name. If you get a concealed permit, you can carry what you want. and it doesnt need to be registered to you.

I may pick something different every day depending on what I'm wearing. shorts and tee shirts is my pocket pistol .22 bobcat. A cold day wearing a jacket I may have a .44 mag tucked away.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Florida DOES NOT register guns, period! The 4473 STAYS on the dealers premises as does the log book as long as the business is continued. When a business closes those records go to the BATFE. The state, county or municipality has NO access to those records unless by subpoena by the court for a criminal case. A CW&F permit ONLY identifies the holder, NOT their firearms.

Where are you getting your information?

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would also advise that during any future exchanges you make with the authorities, that you visibly take notes that include names, dates, times, your questions, and their responses.

It might also be valuable to furnish them with a written and dated version of your questions in future exchanges and ask that they also respond in writing within 2 weeks.

I think you should get serious about this as the PD is likely taking you for a ride. The trigger pull deal sounds like a ruse to me. Even if they will not deliver it, one might ask to see the unit to verify that it's still in their posession (check the numbers). The speculation that your property is about to become someone elses just may be right on the money.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/12/08.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In addition to that, get one of those little digital recorders and put it on the table when you're talking to any official. Get them to state their name and position.

Cops simply have an aversion to being put on record.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone wants a vintage S&W for their collection...pure and simple.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm sure there are a number of states that register handguns to an individual.
Here in NJ you need a seperate purchase permit for each handgun you acquire,it has five carbon copies.A copy goes to the seller,the purchaser,the seller's local PD,the purchaser's PD,and the State Police.A NICs check is also required.
The ONLY exception is a handgun that is inherited.Apparently the laws involving inherited property supercede the firearms registration laws in this state.My local firearms officer told me inheritence is the only exception to the law requiring an FFL dealer to make the transfer from out of state as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by steve1
I'm sure there are a number of states that register handguns to an individual.
Here in NJ you need a seperate purchase permit for each handgun you acquire,it has five carbon copies.A copy goes to the seller,the purchaser,the seller's local PD,the purchaser's PD,and the State Police.A NICs check is also required.
The ONLY exception is a handgun that is inherited.Apparently the laws involving inherited property supercede the firearms registration laws in this state.My local firearms officer told me inheritence is the only exception to the law requiring an FFL dealer to make the transfer from out of state as well.

More than enough reasons not to live in NJ.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My mistake Lee, When I filled out the yellow sheet, and payed to have my name checked , I figured it was sent to the state.

Hoot

Last edited by Hoot; 03/20/08.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
JeffA;

Condolences for your losses. My guess is that some Pinellas County cop has stolen your S&W. Sue their azzes.

Get an attorney... NOW!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,097
Posts18,483,038
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.