Print Thread
Hop To
T
TMan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Picked up a M700 Laminated SS in 7-08. The X-Mark trigger has to go, and I've ordered a Timney, and I'm also thinking of glass bedding the recoil lug, as there appears to be a bit of uneven contact at that point.

Looking at the finish on the steel, it looks like an opportunity for a Permanent bedding job. Has anyone had a problem with any release agents, or are any of the products available a "best" for getting things apart again?

The rifle seems to be a very good shooter. The first ten rounds were a bit scary, but I cleaned the bore at that point with a dose of Hoppe's Bench Rest, followed by a few passes Remington 10-X, and managed 3 three shot groups under 1".

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used the release agents provided with the Acraglass kits and it is OK but makes a mess. The best thing I've found is liberal use Hornady One Shot. Make sure the can is well shaken up as the "oil" or whatever it is will not come out. I've only bedded Remington 700s or 600s. I can't speak for any other actions.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 03/22/08.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just out of curiosity what don't you like about the new Remington trigger?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why does the finnish make a difference to you about bedding it? Even the best blueing can be bedded without messing with it.

As for release agents I've had very good results with Johnsons paste wax. Much easier to clean up than the Brownells stuff in thier kits.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use spray mold release when bedding. Have bedded eight or ten Mt rifles without a problem. Did run a router down the inside of the fore end on one and glassed in a small diameter aluminum rod to strengthen that area. Added very little weight and worked great.Rick.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TMan
Picked up a M700 Laminated SS in 7-08. The X-Mark trigger has to go, and I've ordered a Timney, and I'm also thinking of glass bedding the recoil lug, as there appears to be a bit of uneven contact at that point.

What'sa matter with X mark trigger?

Looking at the finish on the steel, it looks like an opportunity for a Permanent bedding job. Has anyone had a problem with any release agents, or are any of the products available a "best" for getting things apart again?

Most of the guys are going to tell you paste wax--nothing wrong with it--I still use Pam as a release agent.

The problem with Remmys ain't the release, it's the recoil lug that's a little wider at the bottom than the top--regradless of release agent, one usually needs at least a rubber mallet grin

The other thing I've learned from my myriad of M700's is they generally like to have the entire action bedded--not just the recoil lug.

The rifle seems to be a very good shooter. The first ten rounds were a bit scary, but I cleaned the bore at that point with a dose of Hoppe's Bench Rest, followed by a few passes Remington 10-X, and managed 3 three shot groups under 1".

Using the "break-in" procedure with JB compound, then clean normally after each of 5-10 shots, then use the JB again, has "rejuvenated" a few older M700's for me. These days, I never judge the accuracy of any used rifle until I run through that cleaning procedure.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
TMan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by dave284
Why does the finnish make a difference to you about bedding it? Even the best blueing can be bedded without messing with it.

Thanks for the replys.

The finish is a fine matte Stainless Steel, I'm hoping the surface isn't prone to a REALLY good bond.

I may eventually bed the whole 9 yards, but in the past, I've started with the recoil lug, then the barrel channel, then the action. Less likely to mess it up in small steps.

Experience is what you get,
When you don't get what you want ;-0
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Bed stainless just the same as blued. Plenty of release agent ='s no worry. Well, not much anyway. grin.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.