Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DDP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took a look at the calendar last week and realized that opening day for bear season here in WA is only 4 months away. So, I decided it was time to start training. I slacked on my training last year and I'm sure it cost me at least one critter this past fall.

I weighed my Eberlestock with my rifle and a 2 day supply, and it came in at about 40 pounds... I figure I could shed that much weight, and be much better prepared to face the rigors of a 3 mile climb into the high country come August/September. For those of you who hunt elk with a stick, this would be about the same time.

I started running 2 miles a day at lunch... not fast, but it's a work out. I'm hoping to raise it a mile a month untill I can run/walk 5 miles in 45 min. I'd like to hear some ways other backpack hunters train... and keep this thread (or another) rolling as a 24hrCF support thread as well. This is by far my favorite portion of this board, and I learn more from the backpacking board than all others on the 'fire combined.

Soooooo, Who's in?

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My thoughts exactly - sitting at a desk all day and motorcycling to work is no good - I can feel the muscles atrophying...

Hit the gym this morning - started slow with 25 mins on the cross trainer and a short time on the rowing machine - thought it was gonna kill me. Off to aikido tonight after the range as well.

May start running at lunch as well - determined to be mountain fit this year.

J
JBR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
When January rolled around, I told myself, better get started now and give myself several months to get into "mountain shape" as I had waited til about June/July last year.

Then came Feb...and I assured myself THAT would be my month to jump back in...and looky here, were almost through March!

Alright, I better do something tonight to force myself to get the ball rolling. Thanks for the push.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me too, only I've got a spring bear tag that starts in april. Gotta get the MR nice frame and a 5gal water can on my back and start making trips through the surroundings.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though you might not think it from the descriptions of the workouts, but I'm sold on crossfit.com's workouts for getting into functional shape. I've had two stints (having a first child got me out of the habit for a bit) where I was quite dedicated and starting seeing some great results FAST. If one was to couple their stuff with some actual pack training I can't believe that one couldn't be mountain tough.

Just after Xmas I was at the heaviest I've ever been (baby weight wink )and am not 23# lighter and much more able to make my body do what I want it to. Heck, I've even shaved 1min of my 5K time from Feb to March! Between this stuff and getting ready for a triathalon in Aug I hope to hit fall in the best shape since high school!

Keep it up fellas, making it a habit's the hard part!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got an early start... an early start at getting out of shape during the holidays, and an early start on getting back into shape in January.

Right now my weekly workouts have been:

2 steady state runs of 2 to 3 miles
1 speed interval run of 30 minutes
2 full body workouts divided into mini-circuits
1 5 mile hike on the weekends - actually this hike has become my favorite part of the week. Two pretty good 500+ foot climbs and two 500+ foot descents. That's about as good as it gets in this part of NC.

I'm down about 25 pounds since New Years and the speeds on the runs have increased dramatically. I'll be back where I was last fall in another month or so it looks like.

I believe I am going to schedule a good, tough hike this spring as a goal to keep the progress going. Thinking maybe an overnighter to Cold Mountain might be just the motivator I need.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
J
JBR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
+1 on the Crossfit training. I started attending a local Crossfit gym in Seattle last year and was AMAZED at the workouts and how hard they worked my body. I began making improvements fairly quickly, but after the gym split into two seperate gyms, I fizzled out.

The nice thing about Crossfit, is that most of the stuff you can do at home with very little equipment and the each workout of the day (W.O.D.) is different.

Like Pointer mentioned, making it a habit is the hard part. This start/stop thing is what kills me.

DDP Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Penguin
I'm down about 25 pounds since New Years and the speeds on the runs have increased dramatically. I'll be back where I was last fall in another month or so it looks like.

25 pounds is awesome Will, nice work. I find it pretty funny that so many guys are worried about shaving ounces off a rifle, when they'd be much better off shedding pounds off their gutt.

Put in a couple of more miles at lunch today... it's amazing how much better I feel in only 1 week. Now, it's not the cardio aspect that gets rough in the last 1/2 mile or so... it's my legs letting me know that I have a long way to go before I'm in hunting shape.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since NY's Day:
1. Elliptical 30min at max 5 days a week
2. Upper body WO 5 Days a week on Univeral (about 30min)
3. Calorie limiting diet
4. Backpack in MTNs when possible with heavy pack
25lbs gone, new pants in the closet, early Man-Boobs reversed (did I actually write that?), possible emergence of 6-pack!
Dream about goat hunting this October each night to remain motivated.....bought the airline tickets to Ketchikan today (round trip from Atlanta was nothing to sneeze at $$$)
Wish me luck,
Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DDP

25 pounds is awesome Will, nice work. I find it pretty funny that so many guys are worried about shaving ounces off a rifle, when they'd be much better off shedding pounds off their gutt.

Put in a couple of more miles at lunch today... it's amazing how much better I feel in only 1 week. Now, it's not the cardio aspect that gets rough in the last 1/2 mile or so... it's my legs letting me know that I have a long way to go before I'm in hunting shape.

Thanks bud, to be honest I was kind of embarrassed at letting myself slide so badly. Got a couple of injuries last fall that precluded me from lifting. Then my gym had a buyout that put most of the good aerobics training equipment off limits. So a gym membership change and a new start was made this year.

But, like you, I got back into it quickly and made good progress. I was surprised that it came back so quickly TBH.

You mention your legs going before your lungs and heart while running. That is one of the bigger arguments for doing endurance training and not just speed intervals. I am a member of a men's fitness forum and they are big adherents to interval training. Especially HIIT.

But a lot of them are trying to get hyoooge and are worried about running off muscle. And a lot of them are in their early 20s so they are hard headed and contrary as an old mule. :p

Nothing I do improves my endurance like strapping on a light pack and hitting the hills. I'm lucky to have such a great trail only 45 minutes away in this section of North Carolina. I'm enjoying this spring down here as I know in short order the mosquitoes and the chiggers will make their return.

Will

PS: And good luck Don. I've dreamed of making that hunt myself. Don't know if I'll ever have a chance to make good on it though. They say it is addictive. Might end up making that hunt several times.

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The best training for mountain hunting is to put 50 lbs. minimum in your pack, three times per week and hike 5 miles plus. I started gym workouts in January, have been pre-occupied with the new Rottweiler puppy since Feb. and am just now starting my spring heavy pack treks where I push myself until I sweat off any extra lard....not easy to do and get to where I can carry 100 lbs. on the NICE pack.

Yesterday, I loaded my NICE Overkill-Crewcab with 75 lbs. of sandbags and it is going to be toted most days until next season starts. I carry 25 lbs. on ALL hikes and will add waterbottles for extra weight as the season progresses, hard work, but, at 61, I either do it or give up hunting and sell off all the guns, gear and so forth I have accumulated over the years....not going to happen!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been a phreaking slug since the end of last August.

didn't even do any training before our hike into the near bottom of the GC.

with around a 70 lb. pack my achilles tendons screamed at me a bit.

I just don't have the mental capacity (so far) to train year round.

I've always trained hard for awhile, get in pretty decent shape and then let myself go.

not a habit I'd reco for anyone,

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
not a habit I'd reco for anyone,

And yet so many of us suscribe to it!

Doing what I can to change things. 5' 11" at 185# I don't need to lose many Christmas cookies, but need to not get so breathless going up. Skyline trail helps (1200' in 0.5 mile) as do the stairs on the bluff at the beach.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Don,

Call me if you ever want to do a quick hike to the top of Blood Mtn. Doesn't take too long and it beats the crap out of the machines.

Glenn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Will do, and thanks!
Don

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Crossfit. Short intense workouts. Amazing results.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We are lucky here on the coast of California that we can get outside throughout the winter to exercise, provided that you don't mind doing it in the dark or rain on occasion.

I started training for my second marathon with a group called Team in Training. It is a division of the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. In return for me fundraising on their behalf, I receive free professional coaching, transportation and lodging at an approved endurance event. (Cycling, Triathlon or Marathon).

So far I am 9 weeks into my marathon training for the rock and roll marathon June 1st 2008. Last year I trained 20 weeks for the Mayors marathon in Anchorage Alaska.

Let me tell you folks, there is nothing like accomplishing something that seems like it is out of reach. Now that I'm in my 30's I have finally realized the importance of fitness, and I am trying to make it a lifestyle. It sure made it easier this fall elk hunting...

I won't go into details on my training regime here but I've been keeping track in a training log.
http://skinnymoose.com/racktracker/category/team-in-training-and-lls/

for more info on Team in Training:
www.teamintraining.org

Saturday, I'm turning 34 and I have a 14 mile run at Point Reyes National Seashore..

Last edited by 2rocky; 03/27/08.

Theres a land where the mountains are nameless
And the rivers all run God knows where;
There are lives that are erring and aimless
And deaths that hang by a hair.
There�s a land�oh, it beckons and beckons
And I want to go back�and I will
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here's a classic that should carry over to the mountains ... so to speak: http://coachrut.blogspot.com/2008/03/rutman-sandbag-mile.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Training for sheep in the "brooks". Started just after x-mas. MR w/6500 loaded w/cat litter, water, and all the clothes I can stuff in. 55# and hike for 5 miles every other day. In between days 1-1/2 hr on the treadmill at full incline, then sit-ups and push-ups for another 1/2 hr.

Have lost 23 pounds and only have 5 more to reach my goal.

kutenay- you are one tough s.o.b., now I know what I have to do.

DDP- thanks for the thread,I was wondering the same thing(what everyone else does).

Al

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
You guys are making me feel like a slacker for only losing 15 lbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,334
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.