-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been working abroad the last couple of years in a situation where I could browse this site but couldn't take cookies and participate. I'm now home and hope to be able to pay you folks back for some of the knowledge and entertainment I've enjoyed here. To that end...

I was corresponding with Dick Davis at McMillan the other day on a stock for a project I have in the works for my wife. Remembering the buzz last winter about the rumored impending lightweight offering by themselves I asked Dick it's status. His reply was that after a year in development the stock is now a reality and that they've been making it for two months.

Now to be honest I was a bit surprised. I know I've been out of the loop but I sure thought I'd have heard news this big (or rather 'small' I guess)

Does anyone here have any experience with this stock? If not I can dig up the email and post the specs, etc. as relayed to me.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would be interested in the specs and any other info you might have. Haven't seen it listed on their website.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the forum Journeyman,
I was thinking about these stocks the other day. I had corresponded with Dick earlier this year concerning one of their "internet specials" for my Remington 700 SS/SYN .338 Win Mag. during our e-mail exchanges I asked him about these rumored stocks. Since then I have not heard anything about them.

I would like the spec's if you have them.

I am back in the market for a stock for the same .338. The internet special that I got is a "Classic" with black textured paint. It is obviously an improvement over the factory plastic but it does not have that natural fitting feel to it that I am looking for. I have a Brown Precision and I plan to go to John Lewis's shop and look at the Hi-Tech stocks as well as some other McMillans. I would like to reduce the weight a little to.

Thanks.

C-ROY

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey fellas,

Thanks for the welcome C_Roy, I feel like I "know" a lot of you folks already!

Dick Davis is a hell of a nice guy, and as helpful as I've found.The particulars he gave me on the new stock are, with his words in "quotes" and my always modest opinion in (parens):

"The stock is a very slender straight classic stock for Rem actions only" (Don't think it SUCKS so far...)

"Right or left hand" (Wronghanders rejoice!)

"ADL or BDL" (In case some of you folks like gaping holes in the bottom of your rifles covered with flimsy trap doors that either pop open or freeze shut ~grin~)

"Fore-end will take up to a #3 Doug with a short cylinder"

"It's an all graphite stock using some of the technology we developed making the Edge benchrest stock and is called the Hunter's Edge" (Here's where I get out of my depth. My ULA Model 20 has a kevlar/graphite stock and is hell-for-stout as well as handling recoil well, but I have zero experience with all graphite - anyone?)

"It is only available with a painted finish, no molded colors and with a 1/2 inch Decelerator pad and studs" (No swirleys!)

"Finished it weighs 20-22 ounces" (Hi-tech territory)

Now for the kicker - no pun intended:
"retails for, are you setting down...$545.00" (OUCH!)

And that's all I know about that, except Dick did finish up by saying "we ask people building guns on it to be reasonable, it's not made to build a .338 RUM or .416RM on." I can promise you, he doesn't have to worry about that on MY account! I'm not into paying to get beat on...and if I were it'd surely be by one of those foxy leather clad dominatrix babes and not by a plain-jane painted non-swirly rifle!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Amax his ass!!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Brock, I'd seen that light BR stock. Hopefully they'll get the hunting model online soon...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On that second link down at the bottom is ther hunter vs.. Not sure if thats the one you mean or not...

Brock

Amax his ass!!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
On that second link down at the bottom is ther hunter vs.. Not sure if thats the one you mean or not...

Brock

Pretty sure that one is inteded for hunter class bench rest competition. The stock talked about above has more traditional lines.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bailed on the lightweight,because I couldn't get a gelcoat scheme. Despite my pleading(grin).

That was largely the long and the short of it for me...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
LSU, you're right, we were definitely talking a hunting not Hunter Class stock. HBR is actually a touchy sublect with me...the only mistake I've ever made in twisting a rifle together (and if you believe that...) Funny story really and a learning experience like we all need sometimes. The local Benchrest boys brought in HBR to attract new shooters to BR shooting. It was supposed to be a fairly inexpensive and "fun" class. To cut to the chase I fell for that and had a Lilja 3 groover 1 in 15 .308 .335 neck fitted to a 700 and dropped in a McM varmint stock. Thought it fit the spirit of things pretty well. Ha! Those BR fellas don't know "fun". Full out custom actioned 30x47's and 30 IHMSA's in BR stocks suddenly appeared out of thin air and some SERIOUS intensity set in. Not my gig. And I was stuck with a hermaphrodite "not quite a benchrest" and 3 twists short of a tactical rifle. Took me nearly a year to trip that baby off to another fella wanting to have "fun" with the BR boys!

Stick, pleading was gonna be my next move, except mine was to the wife over the 545 clams! I fell asleep last night thinking about a .257 WSM (or is it technically a 25-300 WSM) on a Ti with a 23" #1 nestled in one of these babies. OTOH if i could justifly all that cost I could just call Mel...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With you on the call to Mel and am flabbergasted I have never done it right and had him fix me up.

Perhaps someday,I'll get my mind right. Until then,I'll trudge along................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (163bc, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.