-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Exactly Shawn, it's almost more about who I hunt with than what I hunt and where.

Buttttttt, in the vein of this thread;

Argentina dove and duck hunting
A Texas wild quail hunt (or five!)
Elk in Montana by horseback
Africa for plains game for a month (or two)
Back on the farm in Kentucky with family for Whitetails

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd go on an elk hunt in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness (ID) or the Bob Marshall Wilderness (MT). Great country.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd take the truck , dogs, couple shotguns and rifles and just go where it felt right.
"license I don't need no stinking license".
End up at home for late season ruffed grouse. By then hope I would have found some kid who has the right makings and likes dogs and guns to give everything to.

Battue

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Whitetail hunting with my dad and uncles/cousins on family ranch in South Dakota. Took my first deer there... couldn't be much better.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This has got me thinking. Since we are granting wishes I would wish for all those who have already gone: Granddads, Grandmothers to cook, Dad, Mom, Uncles, friends and dogs to go along. We would all be arguing so much about stuff and debating who should take the shots that probably nothing would get killed. That would be cool or in the current "fire" jargon rock.
Like in the old days we would be up in Tidioute-not to many here will know where that is, but it's a pretty rock'n place and at one time had just about all the game anyone could want.
Battue

Last edited by battue; 04/04/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Quail hunt with those old Irish Setters of my youth. I don't think anywhere has wild bird numbers anymore like we hunted in SE Kansas back then. I remember one opener with my brother, jumped 10 coveys by noon.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Quail and mule deer and possibly elk in New Mexico and especailly
quail in a valley west of El Paso, known to me and my friends as WeatherTop...where I want my ashes placed in the wind....

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would hunt with my Dad and my late Grandfathers 94 in Northern MI. Walking those old logging trails talking with Dad about his good ole days and looking at deer tracks...to me is it.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'd hunt with my best friend.

Wouldn't matter much what we hunted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreyHunter
If this next hunting season was your last, where and what would you hunt for your final season?

I expect I'd want to hunt with my son and my brother, where my Dad took me hunting. In Arizona, 6A for Turkey, 12B for Mulies, 6B for Elk and the week after Christmas would find us hunting Gambel quail beside Roosevelt Lake.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Same as always for over forty years now, ducks and deer all fall with my two brothers and our two best friends and if we get to go away for a week or two somewhere after something with big horns, great. If not, that's great too.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
This has got me thinking. Since we are granting wishes I would wish for all those who have already gone: Granddads, Grandmothers to cook, Dad, Mom, Uncles, friends and dogs to go along. We would all be arguing so much about stuff and debating who should take the shots that probably nothing would get killed. That would be cool or in the current "fire" jargon rock.
Like in the old days we would be up in Tidioute-not to many here will know where that is, but it's a pretty rock'n place and at one time had just about all the game anyone could want.
Battue

Spent a lot of time between Tidioute and West Hickory, At the big A frame camp. Both of the brother are gone now but I got some great memories from there, they'er little hazy but that dosen't have anything to do with time.

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Deseret Ranch for elk and deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cape Buffalo.........cause being in close with them is more fun that any other hunting and if something were to go wrong, well, it was the last hunt anyway.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreyHunter
If this next hunting season was your last, where and what would you hunt for your final season?

I'd have to squirrel hunt some of the branchs and swamps back home in South Georgia where I first learned to hunt.

Some friendly advice. Live every day as if it were your last, it could be....

GeoW

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My last hunt would to be out with my son, and letting him carry the rifle, so that I could devote all my attention to helping him,, as it would be the memories for him of his last hunt with his dad...

it wouldn't matter what we were hunting or where we were hunting...but I'd hope my last hunt on this earth would be being there when my son got his game...

Him having memories that he would hold onto for his life, is much more important than me getting one last head of game...

and him getting a head of game on my last outing is MUCH MUCH more important to me, and being able to see it, than it is for me to get one more game animal...

The other being there, spiritually would be the Good Lord, and I hope I take many moments to thank him in my thoughts, for the life time of good experiences that he has blessed me with...

the last time out, is about thanking God for all the experiences he gave me and passing on memories for Seafire Jr...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had to add another thought...

this was the fate of one of my brother in law's granddad back in the early 1980s in Minnesota... the old guy was well into his 80s at the time, approaching 90... his wife had passed away, and the family was thinking the best thing to do, was to put him in a nursing home, since no one was able to devote full time attention to taking care of him... and of course he could no longer farm.. even tho he owned 800 to 1000 acres...

he still got all the sons and grandsons to take him out deer hunting with them... they put him under a tree in a chair, next to a clearing, to have a clear shot in case they kicked something up his way...

the heard a shot go off and no one suspected it was grandpa....
when they all were to come in at 10:30 to 11 am for lunch, grandpa didn't show up...they sent one of the kids to get him and he was found in his chair... so the kid came back and got everyone else to go look for him...

They found him out in the clearing, laying beside a very large sized buck, with his 30/30 next to him and his deer cleanging knife out... the large old buck had a single 30/30 hole in his lungs... grandpa had suffered a heart attack and died next to the last large buck he had taken in life...

in a couple of weeks he had been scheduled to be put in a nursing home, a place where he didn't want to go...

to live to be almost 90 and to have that be one's last experience instead of dying in a nursing home you don't want to be in... I for one think God smiled on Mr Ryder and gave him a last bit of joy before welcoming him into the gates of heaven...

we all should be so blessed on our last hurrah...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Canadian whitetail hunt or western US pronghorn hunt with my boy would be just fine.

220 Swift still king.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The space provided is not long enough to fit it all on here can I email it in ? smile

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rocky Mountains elk...no, turkey.

no..elk.. turkey. Elk. Turkey. Elk, yes, elk. Maybe turkey..
That's a hard one..

I don't think the What and Where would matter as much as the Who (I was hunting with).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,881 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,493
Posts18,490,406
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.