Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As an "expert" on blown-up firearms (he testified at many trials over the decades) once pointed out, much of the time it is impossible to tell exactly what caused a firearm to come apart upon firing, because most of the evidence (especially the ammo) is all busted up. Was it the firearm or the ammo, or something foreign introduced into the "system"? Much of the time it's hard to tell.

FWIW I spent several years doing failure investigations, and while one might be cautious about saying dogmatically "exactly what caused" a failure there are features of different modes of failure which will be apparent if not obvious. For example, a brittle receiver will fail in a different manner from a tougher receiver. You can pretty much tell at a glance whether a receiver failed in a brittle manner, though of course you'd scrutinise closely to eliminate other possibilities, and then probably say something wooly like "upon initial macro examination the fracture morphology exhibited features consistent with brittle overload failure" to cover your butt.

Without getting overly technical about it that was the point about the low-number rifles: that when they did let go it was in an obviously brittle manner, flying to pieces rather than bulging and distorting but basically staying in one piece as a tougher action might. Failing in a brittle manner is of course a Very Bad Thing, as the bits fly free and act as shrapnel. The receiver is said to have a low "work of fracture" so the applied energy isn't absorbed in actually distorting the metal and forming the fracture but instead is translated into driving this shrapnel and hot gas into an expanding circle of unpleasant consequences.

Now the other thing of course is that a brittle receiver may be perfectly fine under ordinary conditions but if you couple a brittle receiver with some pressure excursion you don't have the toughness there to cope, and so when coupled with say a case head failure the reult won't just be some hot gas vented out of the action but rather a kaboom.

That said though the actual incidence of failure of these receivers is very low - almost vanishingly low really - though of course that would be no consolation to those few blokes who experienced it. It would appear that there were some small percentage off-spec, and this was discovered more as a result of the way they coped with case-head failures and other out-of-the-ordinary conditions than anything.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the closer look at action failures. Aside from the insights on the symptoms of brittle receivers, I particularly appreciate the technical jargon like "Very Bad Thing" and "kaboom."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
tff

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, first off,thanks to all! I especially appreciate the input of Mr. Mule Deer (AKA _ JB).

I talked this over with my gunsmith. He is recognized as a Master Gunsmith, and he spent some time looking the rifle aoverand firing it too. I am going to follow his recommendation and handload that about equals 300 Savage. Good low-pressure load. Where I hunt that is all that will be needed. I have 2 other guns in 30-06 and if I need a magnum, I will buy a magnum (I do not need a magnum)

thanks to all!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, a fair number of folks take the path of loading low to use a favorite old LN rifle and it seems to be OK, but for my part I would not shoot a LN rifle with any load. Supercautious or supertimorous, me. I have an ex-LN very nice custom 1903 where I had a high number receiver and bolt substituted for the originals, has worked out very nicely, the HN parts can be found on the internet and at gun shows, not dirt cheap any more but if you are fixing up a high quality LN custom rifle it is worth it.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.