Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those of you who know me from other forums know I'm a diehard Zeiss man. I'm a firm believer in top-end optics, and think Zeiss/Leica/Swaro are in a league all their own.<P>There are some very fine binos on the market, some notable newbies coming from Swaro and Zeiss, and the Leicas still being superb.<P>For various reasons, however, I believe that the Zeiss 7x42's are the best all-around hunting binos on the planet. <P>For starters, I like 7x binos because I use binos to spot game and spotting scopes to evaluate game. As such, I like the increased field of view (FOV) offered by 7x. Also, 7x42's yield an exit pupil (EP) of 6mm which, using the formula for the area of a circle (A=3.14 x radius squared), is nearly double that of the popular 10x40 (21.64 mm squared v. 12.56 mm squared). This means more clarity and resolution in low light.<P>I also like the the steadier picture of a 7x.<P>So, if I choose a 7x, why the Zeiss? Welp, the Zeiss has a FOV of 450 sq feet at 1000 yards, while the Swaros and Leicas offer only 420. Noth that big a deal, but it's something. Also, the Zeiss, while a little longer, are also lighter than at least one, if not both of the other two big dogs.<P> Finally, and this is purely subjective, I just like the ergonomics. The Zeiss just feel good in my hand, and feel good after hours of glassing.<P>I've heard it said that the Zeiss are not waterproof. That is simply not true. The Classics were not expressly warranted for waterproofness because Zeiss' standard for waterproofness was extremely high, i.e., the Night Owl. Suffice it to say that Zeiss binos have been found in German subs after 50 years underwater at great depth, and they have been perfectly serviceable. In addition, Zeiss WILL repair any bino bought in the USA that fogs. The gentleman I spoke to said that in 14 years he has been at the warranty service department in New York, he has seen one that fogged, and it rolled down a steep slope into a river.<P>I know that opinions are like armpits, and I have no knocks with anybody's choice of bino, but, to me, the Zeiss 7x42 is the absolute best! It's been years, and I still wouldn't trade them for anything newer. They are one investment I have never regretted making.<P>So, what do you like?<P>Rick Bin

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

C
C
Rick:<P>I've seen too many guys with 10 by 40's to beleive that lower power is better. But I agree with you on choosing Zeiss. My favorite binoculars that I own are Zeiss 10 by 40 Classics. They are smaller than the 7 powers, have more magnification, and are lighter. The Zeiss 7 powers were just too big for such little magnification.<P>I also like Leicas but still don't like Swarovski or Leupold too much compared to the Zeiss. They're not as good quality, to me.

T
T
I would say the new Swarovskis are hard to beat. But if I had my choice I'd still buy Leicas. From everything I've heard, they are untouchable. <P>Teach

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Swarovski 7X30 SLC's... I think they're about the best compromise binoc out there. Fantastic resolution and light transmission... not too big and heavy, not too small... a joy to carry and use. I also love the objective and ocular covers... a real must in wet and/or dusty conditions. If Leica made a 7X32... I'd be as happy (or more happy) with those. I think their 8X32's are fantastic too. All binoculars are a compromise... the 7X30/35-8X30/32 is where I come down... the bino's over 8X require too large an objective for me... they tend to get too bulky and heavy. The little suff (7-9X20/25's) don't transmit enough light, and are too hard to hold steady.<P>Well, my2cents...<P>Brad

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I use the Zeiss 10x56 (NightOwls) and 8x30 (Diafun), most of my rifles have Zeiss and my spotting scope is a Swarovski ST80.

IC B2

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I really like the Nikon Monarchs. I have the 10x40's, and they've been great. I know they are not in the league of Zeiss and Swarovski, but I really like the optics on the Nikons and the price is right.<P>One day, I hope to own an expensive pair of binoculars, but if I have to spend the rest of my life with these Nikons, I'll live.<P>Dan

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well, I chose the Leica 8X32. Light, durable, waterproof. Great glass. I like the focusing system, pop up eyecups, and the 3 year passport warranty. The Zeiss are great glasses, but buying binoculars is pretty subjective when you get into the high quality roof prisms. It all boils down to individual tastes.<BR>JB

U
U
Postwar Soviet Artillery Officer's 8x30 binoculars. When the Red Army overran Germany, the Zeiss factory was in their sector. They shipped the tooling and technology back to mother Russian, so postwar Russian optics are Zeiss quality at a fraction of the cost. Don K.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
If I could have any binos on the planet, I'd go with the Leica 8x42's. I've looked at them all, and always end up lusting for these after the glow has worn off all the others.<P>One of these days, I'll break down and buy a pair. In the meantime, the Leupold Wind Rivers will have to do. [Linked Image]<P>elian

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My favorite binocular is the Swarovski 8x30SLC. I've used it from the Maine woods to the desert country of the Southwest. Its versitile, lightweight and waterproof. I just got back from a mule deer hunt in West Texas where my guide used a Swarovski 10x50, he said he's used glasses from the big three European firms(Leitz, Zeiss and Swarovski) and feels there's no difference optically among them.But, the bottom line is that your better off with one of them than trying to cut corners at Wall or Kay Mart.

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
After much comparing I bought a pair of Leica 10x42 this year. All I can say is WOW! I decided to hold off buying anymore guns until I had the money for a pair of top end binoculars. I wish I would have done it years ago. The amount of time most of us use binoculars far out weighs the use of any firearm. I would say that for an affordable set of binoculars its hard to bet those Nikkon Monarch 10x40.

W
W
I know you guys will probably laugh at me, but I use a pair of Swift 8.5 X 44 titanium glasses. It is the Audubon's model. They cost about 1/2 the price of the other glasses you guys are talking about, but are very light weight and extremely clear. The only disadvantage is a moderate objective lens,so they could be better in low light conditions. I might add that they work very well during legal hunting hours.<P>wd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great thread here. As I am in the market for a pair of bino's, I am interested in all the details you can provide about the pair you favor. How much did they cost? how much do they weigh? How do you like the feel? Is the focusing knob in a good location? Is the image clear? Is the image bright? Are your lenses multi-coated or fully multi-coated? Did you get a case with your purchase? Lens covers? Is the strap wide and padded?<P>Sound off, I am all ears! <P>Regards.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My choice, which I never regretted :<BR> [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View...p;p=24999402&Sequence=1&res=high[/img] <BR>Swarovski SLC 10x42 WB.<P>Andr�

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I really wish I could afford a set of the new Zeiss. I recently test-drove a pair of 10x40's, and they were simply stunning.<P>I agree with those who say that any glass from Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica is going to be superb. The little things make the difference from there on out.<P>To be honest, I couldn't even tell you why I like these particular binoculars better than the comparable models from Leica and Swarovski, and MUCH better than the old black Zeiss', but the fact that I simply drool over them is enough to sway me from the competition.<P>I need a raise. [Linked Image]<P>noway

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well I did it! I bought my binos: Leica 8x32BA. I was gonna get a gray market pair and save a few hundred bucks, but I found a great deal on the soon-to-be-discontinued BA's. Only $635 after rebate. The shop had one pair left after I got mine. Email me if you are interested and I will send you the info on the store (it's in Michigan). Regards.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I love my old black Zeiss 10'40s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go with Leica 8x42 Ultras with the Crooked Horn Outfitters Support System. Traded my Zeiss 10x56 Night Owls for the Leicas due to warranty and weight. Mostly weight. Tried the Leica 7x42s also but opted for the 8s due to convention. Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I own them(grin). Zeiss 10x40BGA-TP's. Weight,resolution and ergonomics. They stand alone,in my estimation........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
CCW Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Damnit Big Stick,<BR>You've got to quit disagrreing with me. I use the 10x42 Swarovski and have been happy so far. But last year I guided two hunters from Ireland. One of them ran a gunshop and the other was a game keeper on a large estate. Basically they had access to all the better european brands and according to them Lieca is the best. I got use their Liecas some and I guess if I went to buy a new pair tommorrow that's what I'd get. I've looked through several pairs of Ziess, some side by side with my Swarovskis, and I don't think they are as clear. But I know several guys that use Ziess that are hard on glasses. I mean throw them on the dash and go. Pack them constantly and really beat them up and they don't have any problems.

Center of the Nation Outfitters<BR>Wyoming Deer and Antelope hunts
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 14,592 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,955
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.