Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
and I wouldn't fault you for doing so AKMtnHntr.

we just do it different, but still get 'er done.
To bad we can't always have conversations like this without a b!tchfest ensuing..... wink

Geovids are you freaking kidding me, you'll cut your neck off from the weight and if that don't happen you'll go blind from trying to look through them (or maybe get hairy palms)!

there, that's better we're back to normal now. wink

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
FWIW, I own the Leica 62 mm spotter and the Nikon 50mm ED spotter. Although the Leica is better optically, I rarely carry it anymore, as the Nikon is excellent and weighs only 16 oz, vs 42 oz for the Leica. Just a thought if you want to save optics weight. Also agree with the comments re: 8x32's.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hey those look like the ticket thanks for the heads up I may have to try those out.

Originally Posted by oldlogger9695
Doc you need to try this product best bino system I have tried yet takes all the weight off your neck and shoulders plus protects the oculars when not in use. Optic Belt, http://www.delnorteoutdoors.com/faqs.php. I have the 10x43 Bushnell Elites 23 ounces,great glass for the money, you can have you cake and eat to with these. Just my opinion lots of luck on your goat hunt.

Oldlogger

Last edited by ehunter; 04/10/08.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I vote for Brad's suggestion of a good 8x32, at around 20 oz that would be a good compromise with very good optics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been using a Swarovski EL 10X42 for all of my hunting for 6 years.

It is a little heavy, but with a binocular harness I hardly notice the weight at all.

That being said, if I had it to do over again, I would probably try a Leica Ultrvid(sp?) 8X32-I may still one of these days...
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I like my compact leicas in the mountains. They're 10x25 or 20? I might, if I bought again get, 8x's in the compacts. Especially if you're carrying a spotter, I don't feel the full size glass is worth the weight. I have 10x40's when weight's not an issue.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 340boy
I have been using a Swarovski EL 10X42 for all of my hunting for 6 years.

It is a little heavy, but with a binocular harness I hardly notice the weight at all.

That being said, if I had it to do over again, I would probably try a Leica Ultrvid(sp?) 8X32-I may still one of these days...
grin

grin I have a air of 10x50 SLCs and wish everyday I had the ELs !!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had a Zeiss 10X25 for a number of years. Was the most miserable glass to use I've ever had. Tried for years to find a way to live with it and use it's really good optics. Just didn't happen.
Most of the problem was it's weight, about 12.5 ozs. As funny as it sounds, the 8X20 Zeiss that my ex-wife has is a much easier to use glass. You can actually see more with the lower magnification 8X. That's becasue the image shake doesn't hide so much of the finer details.
What I've learned is the lighter the binocular, the lower the magnification. The lighter the binocular, the less you can see with it, especially at great distances.
Are you hunting stuff that contrasts readily and can be seen at great distances w/o binoculars ? Or are you hunting something that blends in well ? If those white goats are going to be surrounded by lots of snow and ice, I suspect you'll need to pick them out of the background. For that, I suspect you'll need a fairly heavy, top quality binocular. E

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I recently purchased a pair of 11oz Vortex 8X28 Furys for woods hunting. They are quite good, far better than any 8 or 10X25 that I've looked thru in the past. But for a sheep or goat hunt, I would pack some serious glass - 8X42s or better.

MtnHtr

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This year I'm going to try the compact binos sheep hunting. I am going with 1akhunters philosophy. Years ago I had a pair of cheapo 10x25 shirt pocket binos. I liked the convenience of them a lot. I always wanted some high quality pocket binos so I bought some 8x25's. WO 8x25's They weigh 1 lb less than my Pentax DCF SP 10x43's and are much much smaller. I'll just have to try it myself and see if it works.

Originally Posted by 1akhunter
Don,

guess I'll be the exception

I do use 10x25's on high mtn. hunts and leave my Classics at home.

I don't have anyone to carry a spotter for me and would take mine if I did, I don't want to wait my turn to look, I want to look NOW to see if it's a ram or in your case billy I want to go after.

the reason being I make the trade off is weight pure and simple.

for a 2-3 day jaunt I take the classics, heck I wasn't even hunting and just hauled the Classics to the bottom of the Grand Canyon while carrying a 60-70 lb. pack.

the weight of the 10x25's is nada around my neck and in a shirt pocket during the approach. I see many white rocks, sometimes single or paired ewes and lambs or sub legal rams on the way in to get where I think the big boys are hanging out, but you never know when you'll see what you're after on the way there.

but most important in my mind is the weight on the way out, if I take a sheep, I'm going to be god awful heavy, that's when you realize how much the ounce counting pays off, not on the way in, ime.

pard looking to save weight as well, used the Zeiss 8x32's one year and got very tired of asking me on the approach to confirm what he was seeing with my 10x25's, next year he had his own 10x25's.

granted when arriving in the country I believe I want to be in, and setting up to do serious glassing, I miss my 10x40's, I've used them so much they are like a favorite pair of jeans or boots, they just fit. but it's a trade off to make.

as mentioned a spotter (and for that matter a rifle) is on my amex list, I ain't going without either. I've gone hunting twice where we only took one rifle to save weight, but it wasn't my lh handed rifle that got left behind. I'll haul the weight of my rifle and my spotter.

so I use the spotter more in a way I sometimes use it for regular hunting. After a quick general scan with the compacts to pick up the obvious, I set up the spotter, break out an eyepatch and pick the country apart on 12x. the eyepatch is worth the negligible weight to me so that I'm not in constant wink mode and saves me the headache of such. If you don't want to haul the eyepatch a headband or bandana can work too, but I like my eyepatch.

not saying it's right for you or Brad or others, but it's the system that works for me.

and certainly not trying to convince you of anything, you've enough experience now to make your own choices in regards to this stuff, it ain't going to be your first rodeo.

just thought you might want to see the other side of the coin, even though it's dissenting from most others views expressed here.

doesn't mean they're wrong, just wrong for me and the way I hunt in high country.

I've got full confidence you'll make a good decision what works best for you. Randy

IC B3

docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an expensive Canon "L" zoom lens on ebay, that if it sells for what it's worth, I'm going to send the funds to Doug for the 8X32 Leica, otherwise............still thinking, but I appreciate the input.
Also, redelius, I saw that spotter on my last sheep hunt, and it sure bears a look, for it's weight savings! A Nikon in the backpack is better than a Leica that didn't make the trip!
Don

Last edited by docdb; 04/14/08.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Yeah, the Leica makes it out for the first day or two-after a couple of 1500 ft climbs it seems to want to stay in the tent. The Swaro 15x56 bino is another piece that works great for a day or two and then stays in camp. I've never left the Nikon in camp...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a goat I "glassed" from about seven feet... was elk hunting at the time and if I had a tag I wouldn't have shot the fella. I actually woke him up from sound sleep...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice picture, Brad.
Would have made a nice Great Northern Railway advertisement, back in the day...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I HAD several of those wonderful calendars as a boy in the '50s and the Indian ones as well, but, they were pitched when the year changed. I would LOVE to have a Goat one now, the GN ran into my home town and we used to walk the tracks to fishing spots and hunt Grouse along them....back in the "good old days" when kids with guns were a common sight in my hometown and they WERE NOT immigrant gangbangers high on dope.......

Someday, when I move back "home" to the Kootenays, I would like to hunt there again, but, now "yuppies" and "yuppy puppies" cruise the old right of way on expensive mountain bikes and don't like people hunting as they moved there for "atmosphere" and "wilderness".........that's likely to stop me.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those sound like good days indeed, Kute...

James Elroy Flecker

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You remind me of my hometown, Whitefish. The Great Northern, Glacier Park, etc. My Dad shot a Goat either in or near Glacier in the 60's. Not sure what the deal was. I remember the mount when I was just a little kid.

Great Goat pic.

Originally Posted by kutenay
I HAD several of those wonderful calendars as a boy in the '50s and the Indian ones as well, but, they were pitched when the year changed. I would LOVE to have a Goat one now, the GN ran into my home town and we used to walk the tracks to fishing spots and hunt Grouse along them....back in the "good old days" when kids with guns were a common sight in my hometown and they WERE NOT immigrant gangbangers high on dope.......

Someday, when I move back "home" to the Kootenays, I would like to hunt there again, but, now "yuppies" and "yuppy puppies" cruise the old right of way on expensive mountain bikes and don't like people hunting as they moved there for "atmosphere" and "wilderness".........that's likely to stop me.......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tim, good call. Hadn't thought about it but for sure he does look like he's posing for a GNR poster!

He's literally standing in his bed. I was motoring down the mountain after an unfruitful day higher up and came on him sound asleep in his bed (you can see stuff still stuck to his butt). I stood for a few seconds and he finally became aware of me. He slowly got up and stretched like a big lab, then just stood there sorta blinking at me. Cool.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad,
Thanks, I needed that!
Don

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You bet Don... figured your fire needed some more wood! laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,417
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.