Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we really should put a fence up around the metro & give it it's own state identity, really isn't fair to the rest of the state that does live the good ole life, shotgun in the pickup truck, fishin rods in the back, canoe trips, camping, hunting... wondering WTF is wrong with the rest of the world....

Yeah we exist, there are plenty of us.

but, talk about the BWCA, north shore etc... well, little different flavor/culture can exist locally around there too. I suppose we used to call them "hippies" smile

I suppose maybe now they are "yuppies" or "greenies"

not everyone mind you but you will find a definite "greenie" presence concentrated in these beautiful protected primitive areas.

Which is fine with me i guess. like anything else... in moderation smile

and before I get flameboozled by my fellow northern redneck brethren that just happen to reside within the fence I propose.... sorry about the fence guys.... you guys can come & go as you please.

grin

Something clever here.

GB1

2ndwind Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to canoe in the Adirondacks where it was MUCH nicer to go after black fly season..... IIRC by late July the majority of those blood sucking monsters were gone.... Same in Minnesota?

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oof, you mean the likes of the dreaded "deer flies" or "bull flies"?

stinking vampire flies? flies built like fighter jets? the ones that chomp in & take a chunk out of you the size of a small meat ball then you swat them with rediculous force, enough to make a hell of a mess.... only to see them fly away when you lift your hand...

you mean those ba$tards?

or just regular ole black flies take a lil bite at your legs & irritate the heck out of you, make you go half nuts type of flies?

Last edited by northern_dave; 04/10/08.

Something clever here.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This sounds like the rest of the West in Oregon the city of Portland and Eugene rule the state the rest of the us have no say in the state government.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The kind I'm thinking of were the ones that were out late in the season and caught me several hours up stream at my best brook trout hot spot. There was a trout feeding frenzy going on when I got to it..... beached the canoe set up the tent and tried to cast for them.... was getting strikes on most casts but was way so busy swatting the vampires to set a hook. Went through a few cycles of dive into the tent for some relief.... hear the trout hitting the surface just out side.... run out, try and hook one ,become fly bait myself and dive back into the tent...
I bailed the next morning and went hiking in the high peaks area the next morning.... that kind shocked

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
The kind I'm thinking of were the ones that were out late in the season and caught me several hours up stream at my best brook trout hot spot. There was a trout feeding frenzy going on when I got to it..... beached the canoe set up the tent and tried to cast for them.... was getting strikes on most casts but was way so busy swatting the vampires to set a hook. Went through a few cycles of dive into the tent for some relief.... hear the trout hitting the surface just out side.... run out, try and hook one ,become fly bait myself and dive back into the tent...
I bailed the next morning and went hiking in the high peaks area the next morning.... that kind shocked

That is why it is always a good idea to stock up on those foul smelling Eyetalian stogies!! grin Light one of those up and not even black bears want to come near ya let alone the stinkin' nasty horrid New York State bird grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe with a flame thrower along as back up... IIRC NY has been doing some kind of targeted spraying program. They were loosing tourists and several that did still come up were going home about a quart low...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rick, "suc-cinct" why do you spend all that time herding numbers around when you have such a flair for fun with words?cool

WayneDW, thanks for the local info.... now please tell me there are parts of Minnesota where guys drive old pick ups with shotguns in the window and live for opening days. People who still live the Field and Stream lifestyle which includes some pride in core traditional values. I understand urban areas anywhere seem able to spawn metrosexual liberal blindness, but surely there are still areas where folks from your state have that down home feel... people who still say the pledge of allegiance without rolling their eyes?

2ndWind,
good question, yes of course there are, but as mentioned most of them are out of the metro area. I actually live right in the middle of the city and have for 30 years. I am a minority here, though, I vote conservative, own guns for something other than shooting my neighbors, go hunting every chance I can, put a flag out on national holidays, go to church every Sunday, stayed with the wife of my youth and took my responsibilities of being a Dad extremely seriously. Really just an average joe with average American values...my neighbors think I'm just a wierd old guy...
Wayne

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I knew I remembered residents of Minnesota publishing stuff in Fur Fish and Game.... Thanks to both you and Northern dave for restoring my hope for sections of your state.
I grew up in Western NY along the snow belt off Lake Erie. We used to get snow several feet at a time and I have fond memories of ice fishing in a shanty were we cooked the yellow perch as we caught them..... I understand you folks had a "real Winter" this yearwink Do you get involved in Winter sports?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure the ACLU is on the case...right?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Believe it or not yes they areshocked This was so outrageous that when they were called they indicated that the case had merit and would investigate more.... weird.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Can you imagine the play this would be getting if...gasp....Christians took over a public school and had mass coersced prayers? The US attorney would be indicting people for civil rights violations right ane left. Wonder if the MSM will even notice this little skirmish in the long jihad.
Exactly! This is an old double standard among "liberals."

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here is the link.... no word yet on if this teacher still has her head attached though... sure hope so. She did a brave thing.

http://www.christianaction.org/week...008/aclu_to_probe_public_funded_madr.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Believe it or not yes they areshocked This was so outrageous that when they were called they indicated that the case had merit and would investigate more.... weird.

I was pretty sure they would have to go through the motions of some sorts, It'll be real interestig to see what kind of excuse they put forth as to why it isn't the same issue.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The story has made the local TV news on one of the stations. Channel 5 picked it up and went to visit the school. They claim the religious instruction is strictly voluntary and after school hours. The station also reported that the ACLU can't do anything unless one of the student's families complain to them (which none have done).

An interesting twist to the story is that the news camera caught the fact that the flag pole at the school was empty in spite of a MN law that says all public schools MUST fly the American flag during school days. They asked the principal about it and he said he doesn't know how to run a flag pole (in his middle eastern accent, I might add.) The next day the TV crew went back and the flag was flying for the first time since the school was founded in spite of the opinion of some that charter schools like this may not have to comply with the state law to fly a flag. Apparently the principal found somebody in the school that knew how to "run a flag pole".

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
"I don't know how to operate a flag pole....." Yeah right.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Somehow I question again the credibility of a guy that can't run a flag pole, to be making accurate police reports... WayneDW, is this the story you were talking about? I catch a very left "those ignorant old rednecks are being mean to our nice multicultural neighbors" .... tone in this story and not much in the way of "what do we know about the group Islamic Relief USA that is funding this school right here in this community?".

Charter school getting threats for Islamic ties

By SARAH LEMAGIE, Star Tribune
April 12, 2008

An Inver Grove Heights charter school has received harassing and threatening calls in the wake of accusations that it blurs the line between religion and state by promoting Islam, the school's director said Friday.

The city's police are investigating and will put extra patrols in the area as a precaution, Police Chief Chuck Kleckner said. He said the school's director contacted the police Friday morning.

Asad Zaman, the director and founder of Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy (TIZA), said that he and the school received several derogatory phone messages and e-mails.

The school came under fire last month after Star Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten questioned whether TIZA, which receives public money, promotes the Muslim faith.

The K-8 school has a special emphasis on the cultures of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Zaman said the school is nonsectarian.

The Minnesota Department of Education launched a review of the school in response to a March 9 column by Kersten.

The department has contacted the school, planned site visits and sent a letter to the U.S. State Department asking about Islamic Relief USA, the school's sponsor.

If the department finds that the school is not complying with state charter school law, it will give the school a deadline by which to take corrective action.

If the school does not respond, the state could withhold public funding.

Like other public schools, TIZA receives funding on a per-pupil basis.

It is projected to receive $3.8 million for this school year, according to department spokeswoman Christine Dufour.

Sarah Lemagie � 952-882-9016

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
OK that took 30 seconds to google up these results on Islamic Relief USA:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/Read.aspx?GUID=CDAB7952-6EE5-4292-805C-6BA036464848

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 60 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,366
Posts18,527,291
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.