Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have 4 right now....

Remington 870 12 ga.- My first real gun given to me by my Dad.

Ruger 77/22 - Had this gun for 20 years and shoot it weekly plinking in the back yard. Great practice.

Browning Citori 12 ga. - Right now I'm a one shotgun guy and although I hope to buy more shotguns this one will always be my go to shotgun.

Ruger 77 Mark II 6.5x55 - An absolutely perfect whitetail deer rifle. It shoots great and is reliable. Actually sold it to a buddy several years back and was able to buy it back. WHEW!! Never again.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my guns a just "stuff" but the last one to go would be the beat up, rusty, old dubble barrel shotgun that came across the great planes to Oregon with my Great Great Grandfather in the 1860's
Virgil B.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, lots... Maybe my son will divest of some of the collection when I'm gone, but for now they're going to STAY!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, the Rem 7600 7-08 my son bought for me, my Rem 870 16ga, and my Win M52 repro. My Ruger M77 stainless .243 would be hard to let go due to it being a good shooter. My M70 has too much money tied up in it to sell.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only one I have that is off limits, is the win 62-A my dad bought at the Navy PX in guantanamo bay before he was discharged from the Iowa. My first 22, and still shoot it quite a bit. Don

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The guns that I inherited from my deceased little brother will never leave me, nor will those handed down to me by my father. My first .22, a Browning T-Bolt left hand, and my first centerfire rifle, a custom stocked Remington 788 left hand in 6mm Remington...they are going nowhere. My Marlin L.C. Smith shotgun, the Colt 1911 I bought the day I turned 21, the Remington 40x bench gun I bought from my other brother. And my Shiloh Sharps 1874 Hartford Model. My 1100 LT-20 Remington. There are some firearms that I will never part with as long as I breath. There are a few, on the periphery, that might be sold. And there are some that I have given to close friends. Most of those were bought as gifts, but a few came out of my own stock.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The NEVERS amaze me. My father would kick my ass if I didn't sell the first 22 he gave me as a lad if things turned wrong and I needed the money so my kid could eat.

People baffle me with their attachment to 'objects'.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The NEVERS amaze me. My father would kick my ass if I didn't sell the first 22 he gave me as a lad if things turned wrong and I needed the money so my kid could eat.

Scott,

You have a point, if you need the money that the gun would bring to feed your family....

If it ever came down to that circumstance, of course the situation would be different. But most of us have LOTS of stuff that would go first. There's a hell of a lot of things if the #$%^ hit the fan that I could sell before these family memories. Several of these guns aren't worth the money it would take to advertise them.

If I was going to sell a pump Ithaca that is worth maybe $150 on a good day, to feed my family, I got a lot worse problems than "memories". If it comes to the point you are selling guns to feed your family, I'd be glad to help you out to ensure that you can keep a treasured gun for your son.

Jeff

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Agreed, it is difficult to imagine, but I'm also certain 6 million Jews couldn't imagine being burned in an oven.

Stuff ain't memories, they are just stuff.

I remember going through my sister's 'stuff' after she was murdered. To look at all the 'stuff' that we work so hard for, pay bills for, collect, have extra rooms to store our 'stuff', and to realize that 'stuff' had little if any value to me. We spend to much time worrying about 'stuff' that has no meaning. Nope, the 'stuff' in her place weren't memories, those are in my head and heart. The 'stuff' was just 'stuff'

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I couldn't agree with you more.

AD

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ngrumba:

Just a suggestion. Change the title of this thread to something like "Guns You Would Wait Until The Very Last To Sell When Your Family Is Starving".

Might work better for some.

For me: A very nice Ithaca 37 12ga., manufactured in the early 50s; my late father's S&W Victory Model .38 (mistakenly reported lost at sea after he ejected hisself from his suddenly tail-less F4U); and one or two cold items purchased at gun shows back in the day when the words "gun show" really meant something.

- Tom

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Obtuse

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I think "never" in this case means that if somebody walks up and offers you a wad of cash for a gun you would say "No" no matter what. (Unless we're talking life changing kind of cash!!)

I don't think any sane person would sit by a few cherished guns and let their family starve to death and I don't think the original poster ever suggested that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got way too many rifles.Have rifles I forgot I had...

Gonna prolly sell a few on the fire to my Canadian brothers..I think..

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
OK, just to re-phase the original question. the only guns I would not sell, unless I absolutely have to would be:

My co-pilot in 45/70. It was my "I got out of the military without being courts martialed" present to myself. we were dirt ass broke but the old lady scrounged up enough to pay for it.

another is my colt commander. another one she bought for me. all my past 1911's I had to sell to keep the lights on. she bought it cuz she knows I love the 1911.

last would be my S&W backpacker. she bought it for me when they first came out, and when they were a limited edition run. The serial # on it is in the double digits, with a bunch of 0's in front of it.

If she buys a gun for me, she knows I really want it so I am gonna hold onto it. the rest of the guns in my safe are like revolving doors.

Two come to mind.
1st the Rem Mohawk 243 my Dad gave to my daughter.
2nd my Rem 700bdl(1979) in 30-06 which I wouldn't trade for a brand new best model SS high dollar stocked rifle on the market today.

Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have sold off many in hard times. One was an 1896 model 94 winchester rifle. Have never been able to purchase it back/ many others only serve to remind me of the joy I had in being able to use things to bring up my family.

My daughters have been willed faqmily guns and their preferences from my collection. When I die my wife will sell off those she wishes to and keep the ones she is fond of.

The worst part of the registration system is that now I have an inventory
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R

Nothing in the headline indicated conditions on never selling. If it's guns or food, KEEP THE GUNS, 'CAUSE YOU CAN USE 'EM TO SHOOT GAME FOR FOOD.

Geez, Steelie, it's a no brainer... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Barring the above mentioned catastrophe:

I have a boatload my father-in-law gave me. The ones that mean the most to him (and me) are a Savage 340/.222, a Winchester 69A/.22 and a Colt Python. Most of the others could probably be pried from me.

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Right up until it kills you.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Agreed, it is difficult to imagine, but I'm also certain 6 million Jews couldn't imagine being burned in an oven.

Stuff ain't memories, they are just stuff.

I remember going through my sister's 'stuff' after she was murdered. To look at all the 'stuff' that we work so hard for, pay bills for, collect, have extra rooms to store our 'stuff', and to realize that 'stuff' had little if any value to me. We spend to much time worrying about 'stuff' that has no meaning. Nope, the 'stuff' in her place weren't memories, those are in my head and heart. The 'stuff' was just 'stuff'

That's damn near... profound.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 3,164 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.