Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Being new here and finding a lot of fans of the "Rifle" magazine trio, I did a quick search for Mr. Sengel's name. Four hits going back a year. One of which was "Who is Gil Sengel???"

Gentlemen and ladies, I offer the opinion that this may well be the guy with the toughest job on the staff. There is a fair amount of griping about old information, fluff pieces, and "what? another 30-06 piece?" that gets thrown towards magazine writers. Mr. Sengel writes an article about the .30-06 and teaches us something new or, at least, reminds us of something we have likely forgotten. Other articles use stories to convey their information. This is a good thing, I buy the magazine to be entertained. On the other hand, it is refreshing to have Mr. Sengels "just the facts, ma'am" style of article as well.

I don't notice that Mr. Sengel generates a heck of a lot of mail or creates much stir. In my line of work that means your doing your job so well that it can be taken for granted. I am, for one, glad he does it just that way.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well said.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I agree. His series on the .223 has been excellent.

Travis.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
I agree. His series on the .223 has been excellent.

Travis.

My thoughts exactly.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
His articles are always one of the first I thumb to.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Gil was at my home a couple of days ago.He comes up every year to visit a mutual friend and they always stop by.Seems to be very sharp,and a great guy too boot.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice to know that your impressions of a person from reading his/her stuff for several years are born out in person.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bright guy; great writer.Knows his stuff.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

He is certainly an asset to the magazine. I enjoy reading his work.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I very much appreciate Mr. Sengel's honesty in his writing. I remember when he opined that it is not only less than intelligent to blow up guns in the name of "research", but it is also less than intelligent to lionize those who do.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gil is one of the best under-appreciated writers.

Or one of the most woefully under-appreciated good writers.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, and usually brings me back to what is, , when others claim isn't !!!
grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .22s usually don't interest me, but Mr. Sengel's article about the .223 and it's developement was very interesting reading, and he did a supurb job of explaining it.

That is one way I form an opinion of writers. I might not be interested in the subject, but the way the writer puts it in print is what holds my interest. There are writers who could write a very interesting and attention holding article about grass growing or paint drying, and then there are others who put me to sleep after a few sentences on any subject.

Mr. Sengal falls into this first catagory, along with Jim Corbett, Peter Capstick, Mule Deer, Jack O'Connor, and a few others.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1234567
The .22s usually don't interest me, but Mr. Sengel's article about the .223 and it's developement was very interesting reading, and he did a supurb job of explaining it.

That is one way I form an opinion of writers. I might not be interested in the subject, but the way the writer puts it in print is what holds my interest. There are writers who could write a very interesting and attention holding article about grass growing or paint drying, and then there are others who put me to sleep after a few sentences on any subject.

Mr. Sengal falls into this first catagory, along with Jim Corbett, Peter Capstick, Mule Deer, Jack O'Connor, and a few others.

To expand on what you said - there are others who could be relating the second coming and make it seem like paint drying. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Patrick McManus leads the pack of living writers who can write captivating prose about anything � or nothing.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken - Pat's story about a shack full of naked boys having a hot stove pipe come falling toward their laps left me more or less helpless on the floor. Best, John

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Ken - Pat's story about a shack full of naked boys having a hot stove pipe come falling toward their laps left me more or less helpless on the floor. Best, John

Or a whole story on various ways of falling. I can still picture a 3 point bounce off the back of a pick-up.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The funniest one I have ever read was by, I believe Patrick McManus, in a Field and Stream about 6 or 7 years ago.

It was about a boy who went on a date with the prettiest girl in town, and unknown to the boy, his dog slipped into the car. The dog had just eaten something that caused horrible gas, and both the boy and the girl thought the other was doing it.

I wish I had kept it. I would like to read it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, we had this cat that would sneak into the house and sleep on its back between the back of the couch and the wall. This cat also loved raw liver, which Dad would bring for it whenever there was some in the butcher's "dog-bone box". The pertinent order of events went like this: Saturday night - Dad brings home liver. Sunday noon - cat dines on liver. Sunday evening - folks have people over for coffee after vespers at church; cat sneaks in unnoticed among the guests and takes up position behind couch; coffee and cookies are served; poisonous yellow-green cloud wafts out from behind the couch - people politely attempt to ignore the obvious; Dad catches on and unceremoniously grabs cat by the scruff of the neck and deposits it outside. How we got from Gil Sengel to this is what makes this place so great. Best, John

D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As 5sdad said, I also appreciate Mr. Sengel's honesty in writing and I very much agree with other posters who enjoy his work.

As an aside... sorta. I THINK that Sengel is refering to numbskulls who overload firearms but would NOT be refering to guys like PO Ackley and others who really were doing research.

Now on to something completely different.

"Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile."

I think from the number of post 5sdad has made since 1/22/05 that he is a "real member". I enjoy many of his post and replies etc.

Carpe Diem. (Ebonics for...em carps fishs die)
Dew

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.