Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
hows the fit on the xtratufs, meaning are you able to wear your normal boot size or do you find they run big or small?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of Xtras and I use them eveywhere from waterfowling environs to offshore fishing, and I've no complaints. Lacrosse on the other hand, after shelling out like $140 for a pair, leaked in both boot after less than a year. I've relegated them to back-of-the-truck-extra-pair-of-crappy but-dry-footwear status. That experience in conjunction with a $300 pair of LC waders that shat the bed, were replaced (with a nasty declaration that that was my final replacement from the LC rep), and shat the bed again after less than 10 outings, leaves me done with LC forever.

I've also heard good things about Muck, but never tried them.

L

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used to use Xtratuff on 2 different drillings rigs and for about 5yrs. 2wks. on and off they are the best for the money! Jump,climb walk or run they fit good but the sweating is the only nuisance. I have tried the LaCrosse burlys and tore the back seam on the heel- not a good thing.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Seattle marine has them online as well. If and when the tops wear out, cut them down and you have a set of Sitka Sneekers. If you want them to last a long as possible, do not fold them down and store them. Cut a piece of cardboard to keep the tops upright and straight. They do tend to fail where they have been flexed a lot. Every day wear, expect several years out of them. If you do rip then, stich them up with monofilliment fishing line and seal with neoprene repair cement (can't rememer the name but it comes in a blue and white tube)from the local dive shop.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
i vote for the mucks, have used them hunting by boat on the alaska penuslia and in prince william sound

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Muck boots. They are great.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think everything Sweeney's sells is "seconds". They just seldom admit it and mark the price down. they seem to have a problem stocking appropriate to the season. I went in there one October to get new felt liners for my Sorels. They had none and wouldn't get them from their warehouse for a month! Same for felt insoles another time.

I'll buy anywhere else first, if possible.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
On topic smile

Xtratuffs for me. I've worn a hole at the ankle in stirrups in one pair. Polyurethane adhesive caulk works well to repair and sticks to the neoprene pretty well. They are a good boot in wet areas and crossing wet rocks. They do less well when climbing wet, greasy-mud, hills. A pard has the LaCrosse burley with the bubble-bottom, and they seem to provide better grip in the slick mud.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Barney's in Anchorage
Mountain View Sports
B and J Commercial

I have LaCrosse ankle fit boots and like them alot. I have had them for 4 years now, still in great shape with no holes yet. I have been hearing good things about Muck boots recently.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Picked up a pair of the 2nds at Sweeneys for my girlfriend--er, uh, fiance, couple weeks back. Cannot tell why they are 2nds and they were $39.00 if I recall right.

I want to get a pair of the Mucks to try out. I have a paid of Bogs I got a couple years back. Way comfy on longer hikes, but was walking through a burn looking for sheds last spring and had an old branch punch a hole strait through the neoprene upper--fixed it with a wader patch kit, but was still miffed that such a little twig made such a large hole--in my leg too.

Will

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's called Aqua Seal my brotha! It's good stuff, fixes any kind of neoprene. Buy the Cotol 240 solvent to clean the patch area and thin the Aqua Seal. Thinning the AS makes it easier to handle.

My vote is for XTRA Tuffs, Hackleback has good advice for longevity. Drying them out each day helps them last as well. Just stuff 'em full of newspaper when you get home.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used Lacrosse's for over 30 years and thought they were the cat's-ass. That is, until I bought my latest pair, which was the first pair since they moved production. It developed cracks and leaked in less than a year. They replaced them, no questions asked, but I won't buy another pair.

Too bad, I loved their boots. frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

367 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,911
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.